Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Mirror turn signals 3rd gen wiring ?

I am going to install turn signal repeaters in my mirrors on my 2014 SE. I have researched this and think I am ALMOST ready. I finally have all the parts I need but I do have several questions. So far my biggest problem was trying to find electrical connectors for the turn signals. After months of searching in vain I broke down and ordered a generic Toyota wiring kit from eBay. The wiring harness is a China special and I'm not too impressed but at least the connector fits. It is 24 AWG which seems fairly small to me. Also there is a 3A blade type fuse spliced in line. Unfortunately the way it is located would place the fuse behind the door card and I'm not too keen on having to disassemble my door if it should need replacing. I'm thinking I'm going to forget about the harness and just wire it up with 18 AWG wire.

Anyway some questions:

(Please remember this is a 3rd gen US spec SE model made in Japan)

1. Use the harness or go with 18 gauge wire? I think I pretty much made up my mind but feel free to weigh in.

2. Is a fuse even necessary? Am I correct in assuming that whatever wire I tap for the signal is already fused?

3. Is there a wire in the kick panels that I can tap for the signal or do I have to go to the body ECU? (it would be much easier if there is)

4. If I have to tap at body ECU what wires specifically should I use? Is there a reason to prefer front signal over rear or vice versa? Or does it not matter?

Any pictures, wiring diagrams, pin numbers, descriptions of wire color, gauge, etc. would be MUCH appreciated. My biggest fear is tapping the wrong wires, shorting something out and creating a BIG problem.

5. If I have to tap at body ECU how do I get there? I can barely see what I think it is under my dash but I certainly can't reach it. There is a knee airbag that if removed might give me some maneuvering room but I'm not sure how to remove it. Or do I have to remove the whole dash? (please say no.)

Thanks in advance.

PS: CTScott I would be most appreciative if you could weigh in on this. (No offense to anyone else but the Master is the Master)
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote