Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
miami

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Base
Current Throttle Controller Options?

It looks like Blitz doesn't make theirs anymore (a good thing since it was $$$).

I found a few alternatives on eBay and just wondering if anyone has any experience with them:

Weapon R - $168 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAPON-R-I-T...d42f83&vxp=mtr

Pivot - $115 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-RAV4-...bdd351&vxp=mtr

And "Throttle Controller" - $115 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-CON...496b42&vxp=mtr

Wondering if these can be used with some sort of OBD adapter as I'd like to retain use of my ScanGauge.

Thanks!
miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Doesn't your right foot already do this job?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Doesn't your right foot already do this job?
Actually my brain does it, and it's having trouble adjusting to the accelerator/throttle mapping on the Yaris.

In short, the accelerator mapping on the Yaris seems counter intuitive and tuned more for city driving in an automatic transmission car.

For example from 0% to 5% accelerator opening, there is virtually no increase in engine throttle opening (translates into no increase in RPM). But from 5% to 10% accelerator opening, there is a huge jump in throttle (rpm), feels like 25% throttle.

So when I press the accelerator, I get nothing until I hit a certain point and then get more than I want (engine flare). This makes launching in first gear more of a thought process than I'd like.

I'm hoping that these throttle controllers make the accelerator-to-throttle mapping (i.e. rpm) more linear and less "laggy"/"flarey".

Hope that makes sense...
Old 08-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami View Post
Actually my brain does it, and it's having trouble adjusting to the accelerator/throttle mapping on the Yaris.

In short, the accelerator mapping on the Yaris seems counter intuitive and tuned more for city driving in an automatic transmission car.

For example from 0% to 5% accelerator opening, there is virtually no increase in engine throttle opening (translates into no increase in RPM). But from 5% to 10% accelerator opening, there is a huge jump in throttle (rpm), feels like 25% throttle.

So when I press the accelerator, I get nothing until I hit a certain point and then get more than I want (engine flare). This makes launching in first gear more of a thought process than I'd like.

I'm hoping that these throttle controllers make the accelerator-to-throttle mapping (i.e. rpm) more linear and less "laggy"/"flarey".

Hope that makes sense...
Did you Try the 1ZZ Throttle swap? I bet you will love that after it's finely tuned it does a great Job, I followed the same foot steps after my 2ZR swap and dropped in a Tacoma Throttle
Old 08-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Sprint Booster

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
Did you Try the 1ZZ Throttle swap? I bet you will love that after it's finely tuned it does a great Job, I followed the same foot steps after my 2ZR swap and dropped in a Tacoma Throttle
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not looking for power gains so will probably pass on the TB.

What I am really looking for is less lag from accelerator input to throttle response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
The sprint booster looks good, but it is almost three times as expensive as the cheaper throttle controllers on eBay.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the sprint booster essentially a "single stage" throttle controller? Or does it have other advantages over the eBay throttle controllers I listed above?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Rigaud

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not looking for power gains so will probably pass on the TB.

What I am really looking for is less lag from accelerator input to throttle response.

The sprint booster looks good, but it is almost three times as expensive as the cheaper throttle controllers on eBay.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the sprint booster essentially a "single stage" throttle controller? Or does it have other advantages over the eBay throttle controllers I listed above?
What is it exactly your looking for? Remove the response lag we have with pedal to throttle? Then the sprint booster works and has three settings. Sport setting makes a huge difference. I tried it on two Audi's and it's a totally different feeling in a good way. Yes it's expensive but remember, you pay for what you get. Cheap stuff you found on ebay is not worth it. I have a 1ZZ TB now for the past year and yes it's more alive but not like I like it or want.

For my Audi A4 Avant, a Unitronic tune helps the throttle issue but I might try a sprint booster as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
What is it exactly your looking for? Remove the response lag we have with pedal to throttle? Then the sprint booster works and has three settings. Sport setting makes a huge difference. I tried it on two Audi's and it's a totally different feeling in a good way. Yes it's expensive but remember, you pay for what you get. Cheap stuff you found on ebay is not worth it. I have a 1ZZ TB now for the past year and yes it's more alive but not like I like it or want.

For my Audi A4 Avant, a Unitronic tune helps the throttle issue but I might try a sprint booster as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I used to have an R53 Mini Cooper S and used the Spec D throttle controller - it worked very well. For the MINI, the sprint booster only had one setting. I was not aware it had three for the Yaris. Good to know and I'll take it into consideration!

So the 1ZZ - would you recommend it? Did it improve throttle response?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
When I Had the 1NZ the throttle swap will definitely change the feel and control since it's a larger opening you need to press less to achieve the same amount of air...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Rigaud

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I used to have an R53 Mini Cooper S and used the Spec D throttle controller - it worked very well. For the MINI, the sprint booster only had one setting. I was not aware it had three for the Yaris. Good to know and I'll take it into consideration!

So the 1ZZ - would you recommend it? Did it improve throttle response?
Yes the throttle response is way better and torque in 5th on highway plus on uphills is much improved. However the intake manifold opening is still smaller so you don't get the full benefit. I'll moding an older 1ZZ intake manifold by this weekend. None of my cars are kept normal. lol I'll go read up on the spec D throttle controler, don't know enough about it.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
Rigaud

Hmmmmm........looked into the three of them especially the Weapon R. Might be worth a try for half the price as long as it is refundable if not satisfied.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Try a throttle controller first. Sprint is good name and so is Weapon R. I've never heard of pivot and I would stay far away from generic ebay anything, especially electronics.

And honestly going to the 1zz throttle body should be one of the last mods you do. There are so many things that are better and easier to deal with before you make that swap. If you are looking for more responsiveness after the boost controller there are a few options. Since you said you have an automatic I'd try pulley's and lighter wheels and tires first after the booster.

I hate the Yaris throttle settings and I really should try a good booster, the blitz had a ton of settings so of course I missed it. At this point though not sure I want to spend the money.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Try a throttle controller first. Sprint is good name and so is Weapon R. I've never heard of pivot and I would stay far away from generic ebay anything, especially electronics.

And honestly going to the 1zz throttle body should be one of the last mods you do. There are so many things that are better and easier to deal with before you make that swap. If you are looking for more responsiveness after the boost controller there are a few options. Since you said you have an automatic I'd try pulley's and lighter wheels and tires first after the booster.

I hate the Yaris throttle settings and I really should try a good booster, the blitz had a ton of settings so of course I missed it. At this point though not sure I want to spend the money.
I have a manual. If I had an automatic it wouldnt be much of an issue. I'm going to try the Weapon R! Although I feel like all the guts come out of the same chinese factory :-P

If I were to do another mod, it would probably be the rear sway bar. Although this thing's steering is so dull I'm not sure it would make a big difference in the fun to drive factor. For now I just want to make it easy to drive and comfortable, so I've gotten the arm rest.

Next will be the throttle controller and a seat belt extender (I feel like the seat belt chokes me due to the up-high and close to the steering wheel driving position) and maybe a lumbar cushion :)
Old 08-05-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
CanadianYaris

Drives: Future 2008 Yaris Hatch
Let us know if you get a throttle controller. I am interested to see if they work as well.
CanadianYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
As far as the dull steering goes.... I can understand that comment

Having done almost 2 seasons of auto x on a basically stock '10 hatch I will say that the power steering is very strong, but that doesn't mean you can't feel the road. As me and the car hit better acquainted I realized that even with heavy power steering you can still feel the dynamics of the car. That rear seat bar has been the best investment I've made in the car by a long shot. It will wake the car up like you wouldn't believe when cornering hard/spirited. The trd one is ~16mm the white line I have is ~20mm. For street driving the trd or equivalent is sufficient
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #16
miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
As far as the dull steering goes.... I can understand that comment

Having done almost 2 seasons of auto x on a basically stock '10 hatch I will say that the power steering is very strong, but that doesn't mean you can't feel the road. As me and the car hit better acquainted I realized that even with heavy power steering you can still feel the dynamics of the car. That rear seat bar has been the best investment I've made in the car by a long shot. It will wake the car up like you wouldn't believe when cornering hard/spirited. The trd one is ~16mm the white line I have is ~20mm. For street driving the trd or equivalent is sufficient
Thanks, still trying to decide how long I am going to keep the car before investing in a RSB.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Rear Sway Bar TRD Scion xD 2008-2012 Genuine TRD New https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068TR79Y..._T4pYvb35HTPYD

Not terribly expensive. I bought mine from the classifieds on this forum

Yaris and the Scion xD have the same rear beam axle so parts interchange
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #18
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Installed a Sprint Booster last week and it has eliminated the lag starting off and between shifts. It's a much more responsive car now. It doesn't increase horse power but it makes the power available much quicker making the car far more responsive and satisfying to drive. The lack of lag in the passing gear is fantastic. When people imagine they can duplicate the Sprint Booster by pressing the gas pedal more aggressively they are completely wrong. I have one on my Porsche Cayman 2.9l 6 speed MT and it to is much more fun to drive. The only way to appreciate how good it is, is to try one and if you don't feel it is worth every penny you paid for it you have 30 days to return it for a refund.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote