Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Changing driver seat

Hi, anyone knows if a more luxurious driver seat can be used as a direct replacement on a 2007 HB ? Do other Toyota models around the years of the second gen Yaris shared the same base ? I'm mostly looking for the up/down adjustment, so I can change the angle to help deal with sore butt on road trips.

Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
The Yaris sedan seats had height adjustment on the driver's side. I saw a Yaris hatch with sedan seats in it on cragslist, but I'm not sure if there was any more work besides just bolting them in.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
The Yaris sedan seats had height adjustment on the driver's side. I saw a Yaris hatch with sedan seats in it on cragslist, but I'm not sure if there was any more work besides just bolting them in.
The second gen sedan ?

I found a guy selling a full set from a 2006 VW Rabbit, but he's stubborn about selling it as a complete set and not just selling me the driver or both front seat. From this thread here, the 2006 Rabbit seat would be a perfect fit into a Yaris HB.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32065

Hopefully I'll get to a deal with him. If not then I'll keep checking out seats and junk yards tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
2nd gen P9 hatchback is made with height adjustable driver Seat for Europe my moms has it.
Here is a used seat .
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Toyota-Yaris-...AAAOSw32lYpEXZ
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sitz-Vorne-li...EAAOSwPc9WzxmD
Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
My 2014 Yaris LE has height adjustment.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
David C

I got my 2006 Rabbit front seats today. Tracks are a match, although the safety pins in the front won't fit (gonna have to fabricate some to restore the original safety factor of the seat fastening) and I'll have to either find cup/cone washers or slightly bend the front of the track to match the bolt angle of the Yaris. The Rabbit seat tracks are straight, whereas the Yaris ones do have a downward angle at the front bolt mount.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
David C

Also they don't recline forward past the vertical axis, but do fully decline backward. That could be very inconvenient especially for the passenger side, so that's (plus the airbag/occupancy sensor) why I'm not gonna swap the passenger side right away.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
Garth g.

Drives: 07 Yaris 2dr hatchback
If you ever make your way to Alberta I have 4 08 sedan seats in the garage. They were a good time in my hatchback. I put the hatchback ones back in though, it's nice to be able to get into the back seat.
Garth g. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
David C

Thanks, but I think I'm pretty good with the a Rabbit driver seat. I removed the rear bench in mine and rarely get to drive with a passenger. Unless I can get one of the passenger seat occupancy bypass module that CTScott made a few years ago, I won't think about changing the passenger seat. And again the passenger seat recline issue, I often recline forward the passenger one when I load cargo in and out, and I'm not ready to give up that feature either.

I'm planning to do a swap test fitment on Friday afternoon to see if any mods are needed to the seat mounts (looks like it won't require any, but still have to confirm). Then on Sunday I'll tackle the permanent swap and if successful, next step will be to acquire a spare seat belt inner buckle and outer buckle as well as a driver seat position sensor, so I can leave them plugged under the seat without having to remove the ones on my original seat. I'm pretty sure I can get them at the junkyard I went last weekend.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #10
David C

Got a spare belt male buckle, driver seat wire harness connector and the driver seat position sensor today from the junkyard. The plan is to wire the rabbit buckle sensor in lieu of the Yaris one on the harness connector and add the seat position sensor too, so I can plug in the new seat into the car harness connector like the factory seat is.

If the rabbit belt buckle sensor gives the same output value as the Yaris one, then the only mock in the setup will be the seat position sensor just being plugged but not actually taking real readings (I'll just hang it underneath the seat structure in a way to gives a permanent reading). I'll investigate the possibility of mounting it in a working position to the rabbit seat, but I don't know if it's gonna be doable since the new seat has height adjustment, thus not a fixed distance from the sliding rails. We'll see !

Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
David C

Seat in (terrible lighting I know)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0523_web.jpeg (188.9 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by David C; 03-21-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #12
David C

I've done a few short drives and also a trip up the mountain and lots of steep up and down trails, and so far the seat is already an improvement for comfort by being bigger and more adjustable. Well worth it. I'm selling the passenger seat since I won't install it. With a little work you could fit it as a driver seat (just drill and fasten a female buckle on the right side like the current Yaris seat has), or for a right hand drive car. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58092

With seat cover on in decent daylight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0551_web.jpeg (295.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0552_web.jpeg (287.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0553_web.jpeg (269.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0554_web.jpeg (347.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0555_web.jpeg (256.1 KB, 105 views)