Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
elcam84

Drives: 08 Yaris
Awesome that is exactly what hers is. No transponder no abs MT. It's the absolute base model. Been a great car up until this. I'll get the Vin off of it shortly and send it to you. And shoot me your Paypal address and I'll send you the $.

Oh by the way I like the snow plow.
elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
elcam84

Got the ecm this afternoon and swapped it out. Fired up fine just needs to be driven a bit for the idle relearn. LOML will drive it the next few days and see how it goes.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Got the ecm this afternoon and swapped it out. Fired up fine just needs to be driven a bit for the idle relearn. LOML will drive it the next few days and see how it goes.
If the idle doesn't settle down in a few minutes of running, then you should clean the throttle body. There is a TSB about rough idle after battery disconnect being caused by carbon deposits on the throttle body.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #40
elcam84

That's the funny thing. It's smoother than it's ever been. So smooth and quiet you think it isn't running or it's going to stall on you. Also the temp light doesn't stay on for a long time when you start it now.
So all I can say is so far so good we'll see how it does this afternoon etc. Our weather went from mid 90s with a low of 80* to low 80s with lows in the high 50s. Was outside the other morning and 65* felt cold. Today isn't bad at 92*, hopefully hot enough to see if the car is going to act up or not.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #41
elcam84

Well so far it's been running great. Was 97* the other day and no problems. Looks like I need to send you the old computer.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #42
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Well so far it's been running great. Was 97* the other day and no problems. Looks like I need to send you the old computer.
Excellent! I am glad to hear that the ECM fixed it, and I am very interested to do a post mortum on the old ECM to see what failed.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 AM   #43
kevprout

Drives: Yaris
I had the same issue

I had the same issue, the problem was in the Ignition Switch. It short circuit from inside. So the whenever I clutched engine starts again and again.
You can either replace the Ignition Switch or open it up, and clean it properly. Worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini_per4mance View Post
Hey guys, I know it's been a while. But I'm only doing 420k miles now on my Yaris, as I no longer work that job anymore.

Here's my first ever TECHNICAL problem with my Yaris and probably the first problem that I have ever come across that also has senior Toyota technicians STOMPED!

In order to start my car, I have to step on the clutch pedal all the way down to activate the safety switch behind the pedal.

If my ignition is on, to where all the lights on the dashboard are on, and I step on the clutch pedal all the way down, once I activate that safety switch behind the pedal, the car starts by itself without me even having to turn the key. (WEIRD)

Now if I leave my foot on the clutch pedal to where that switch is activated, the starter stays engaged.

Meaning, the starter is spinning on the flywheel while the engine is running.

Once I am driving and I press the clutch pedal all the way down to where it activates that safety switch so I can change gears, the starter engages itself while the engine is running. (ANNOYING)

Every time this happens the teeth on my starter is grinding on the teeth on the flywheel, hence damaging the teeth on both, slowly but surely.

Now because my car still has the original clutch on it, I have to press the clutch pedal all the way down to disengage the clutch so I can change gears.

I know it's an ELECTRICAL problem. But it has senior Toyota technicians who has been with Toyota for 25-27 years STOMPED!

Now before anyone suggests changing the safety switch behind the clutch pedal. Well that wouldn't make sense, because that switch is there to ONLY close the loop in the starting circuit of the car.

I've already changed the starter relay and still got the problem.

One technician suggested the starter ignition switch located by the steering wheel right where you put the key into the ignition. (Haven't done this as yet)

One technician also suggested checking the Body (GROUND) ECU located under the dash.(Haven't done this as yet, also)

Any other suggestions or RESOLUTIONS???

Thanx!
kevprout is offline   Reply With Quote