Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Cigar_Maverick

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
2 keys to unlock doors/hatch/ignition (only want one key)

Hello,
Struggled with a title for this, so I'll try to do better in the body. I have a 2006 Yaris 2 door lift (hatchback). I bought it used about a year ago. It has 2 x different keys. One operated the hatch and the other works the 2 x doors and the ignition. I ASSUME (hopefully) that it only had one key from the factory. In which case I'd like to get back to that setup. I stopped by a locksmith today and asked them what it would cost. He said STARTING $250! That seems a tad pricey. It there an easier/cheaper way to do this? I just want all the locks/ignition on one key.

Thanks in advance,
Russ
Cigar_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
So you want the lock barrel in the hatch to match the barrels in the doors and ignition. I have no idea what you could do other than replace all the barrels. I guess the previous owner must have had the hatch barrel gum up (it happens very easily) and replaced it at some point.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Only two fixes I can think of are either to repin the trunk to match your key (which is what the locksmith quoted you for) or to buy an entire set of locks from a junkyard car, including the ignition and key. Better make sure you don't have a transponder key for the last option, though.

You're probably looking at at least $200 for all the parts from junkyards if you'd rather go the DIY route. I'd just look for a discount locksmith. Or figure out how to re-pin locks (I don't think it's easy, but hey, you'd learn a new skill!)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris TwoKeys

That's how grandpa's Chevy worked. Trunk key round and ignition/door key square. So you could select in the dark.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door lock, key, locksmith