Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
humayun.chughtai.7

Drives: Toyota Echo 2001 4-door
Toyota echo immobilizer or anything else. Guys help me out.

I am facing a weird problem with toyota Echo 2001 hatchback (same as vitz) since I bought it.
- Engine refuses to shut down, while all the electricals turns off, upon turning the ignition swith to ACC/LOCK position. But this only happens when engine is cold & blue coolant temperature light is on the board. When blue light goes off, everything seems normal.
I was guessing that there was some remote start kit installed by previous owner, and it had some wiring malfunction. Or any other aftermarket accessory.

I inspected all the wiring including under dash board & engine bay but everything is in standard condition. This is where I came to know that 2 wires of one of the ECU connector are attached (connecting with each other after peeling off the insulation) with each other. Here is picture of ECU pinouts for better understanding. (Wires circled in Red)

When I disconnected them from each other, car refuses to start while starter was cranking & there was NO Check engine light in the odometer. I also noticed that the security light (which refers to immobilizer) also didn't lights up due to this.
So I am concluding that my car has an immobilizer, someone had tried to bypass it by directly connecting the 2 wires. Plz correct me, if I am wrong.
Plz help me in this regard, what to do now ? how to solve this matter bcz after a short trip of 3-5 kilometers, it feels very weird when u want to turn off ur vehicle and it refuses to shut down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1jzecu_diagram (2)_LI.jpg (388.5 KB, 75 views)
humayun.chughtai.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Have you checked the AM2 fuse with a volt meter to make sure there's power?

And are you sure your car has factory immobilizer?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
humayun.chughtai.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Have you checked the AM2 fuse with a volt meter to make sure there's power?

And are you sure your car has factory immobilizer?
Thanks for ur reply dear. Could u plz tell me where this AM2 fuse located ?
Yes it has factory fitted immobilizer, bcz it has a "security" light in the middle panel below AC/heater knobs. Here u go, in the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault_LI.jpg (426.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I'm pretty sure that's just an alarm light that sounds the horn and lights if the door is opened after being locked externally.

The AM2 fuse should be in the relay box under the hood by the battery.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
humayun.chughtai.7

Ok I will check it tomorrow. And could u plz tell me any specific signs or things in a car which shows that it has an immobilizer or not. I am just wondering about the immobilizer due to this security light.

And one more thing, I also got its ECU opened to see that if it had any EEPROM I.C. in it, which save the key codes of immobilizer. This EEPROM needs to reprogram if u lost ur original keys.
But I was also surprised to see that there is no such thing present in my car's ECU, so I am quite confused about availability of immobilizer in this car.
That's why, I am asking u for any specific signs which confirms that the vehicle is fitted with an immobilizer.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
humayun.chughtai.7

@Bluevitz-rs did your vitz/yaris also belongs to NCP-10R series ? Actually I am thinking to get an OBD-2 scanner for my yaris, but i am confuse about its compatibility with my car. Some people says that NCP-10 yaris supports ELM-327 scanner while others say that its not. Here is a pic of scanner.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

My chassis is NCP-13 and uses ISO 9141 protocol on OBD2
Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
humayun.chughtai.7

@Bluevitz-rs Sir As per your recommendation, I got the AM2 fuse checked and it is fine, current is also present there.
The current is not available in 12th wire which is named as "switched power", so they gave it current through AM2 wire by coonecting them with each other. Now what to check for current in this 12th wire ???
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

as far as I know, you should have power there with the key turned on.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
humayun.chughtai.7

Thanks for ur input dear
Old 04-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
humayun.chughtai.7

@mods plz close this thread.
PROBLEM SOLVED !
Actually my car is UK import with immobilizer and it was running with JDM 2nzfe non-imobilizer ECU. So after a little alteration with one of the ECU connectors, everything is working like a charm now. I am also posting a pic of altered ECU pinouts for better understanding. It took me almost 4 months to root out the cause, but Thank God I am done now. Alteration has been done with the highlighted connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1jzecu_diagram_LI.jpg (404.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

What did you have to change?