Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #109
ecc_33

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
my castrol edge full synth has been awesome.... i wouldn't change for anything. For that matter what ever you choose to use just stick with it. The hardest thing on a engine is switching wieghts of oil and brands often
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #110
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Amsoil is a perfectly fine choice. If it were me, I'd run out to 7 or 8 thousand miles and then pay for an oil analysis test. That's the only way you can be sure that the oil is holding up well in your particular application.

Another thing to consider is that Amsoil says the oil will hold up for 25,000 miles, but the oil filter they spec for the 1NZFE is only rated for 15,000 miles.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #111
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sin View Post
I recently started a new job as a courier. I drive about 10,000 miles a month. I'm getting my oil changed every two weeks. I want to make the switch to synthetic. I'm thinking of going with Amsoil SAE 0W-30 Signature Series. According to the manufacturer, I can go 25,000 miles on each oil change. Does anyone have any input on this? Anyone else travel high miles like me? If so, what do you use? When I make make the switch, should I do a flush? I have just a little over 50,000 miles on my 2010 Yaris.
Someone we know drives about 40,000 miles a year with his 2010 YARIS 3 door bought in October of '09 and gets his oil changes at the local TOYOTA service center . Would think that oil to be MOBIL 5w-30 . Car runs fine as I know . If you want a synthetic , I'd say Pennzoil Platinum or the ULTRA when on sale or at local WAL-MART in a 5 gallon jug at around $26 . As for a conventional , the PENNZOIL yellow bottle is a stellar oil or the TOYOTA oils at your nearby TOYOTA parts department . These in a 5w-30 would be good for 5,000 > 7,500 mile O.C.. To keep your warranty until the 60,00 mile mark you'll need to get it changed every 5,000 miles . If not a concern , then a synthetic would be best value for a 7,500 > 10,000 mile interval . Let us know what you decide .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #112
Hershey

The TOYOTA synthetics are a good oil that can be bought for under $6 a quart . A value for a 7,500 > 10,000 mile interval .
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #113
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sin View Post
I recently started a new job as a courier. I drive about 10,000 miles a month. I'm getting my oil changed every two weeks. I want to make the switch to synthetic. I'm thinking of going with Amsoil SAE 0W-30 Signature Series. According to the manufacturer, I can go 25,000 miles on each oil change. Does anyone have any input on this? Anyone else travel high miles like me? If so, what do you use? When I make make the switch, should I do a flush? I have just a little over 50,000 miles on my 2010 Yaris.
You might be past the point of no return with respect to regular oil. I tried to switch my step daughters car over to pure synthetic and it resulted in oil leaks. The syn oil is so thin it seeps between the seals. Her car had over 100K miles so maybe yours is not too far gone. You can use the high mileage oil with is 50/50 regular and syn.

You can try 100% syn and see if it results in oil leakage. If not, go for it.

I personally use Mobil 1 0w20 and change at 10K. I have almost 60K and never had any problems.

AMSOIL is very expensive! You can usually buy Mobil 1 at Advance Auto on sale and get 5 quarts and an oil filter for around $25. After four or five of those, you have enough left overs for a free oil change.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #114
lenzomaru

Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
I would like to use syntec oil, but as a way to save money as this will extend my oil change time, i currently change my oil at 5000km (dusty roads,day temp avg 31 deg c) with syntec i believe i can go for 10,000 saving me money for oil filters and also time (as i change oil myself) My yaris takes a little under 4 qts of oil

- 4 qt of castrol 10w 30 dino oil is $30 US
- 4 qt castrol 10w 30 full syntec $53 US

Since i'll be doing 2 dino oil changes in the same amount of time (10,000km) i'll have to buy 8 qts dino oil totaling $60 US as compared to $53 US for the full syntec during the same period (10,000) also i will have to purchase and extra oil filter ($20US) and my time to change it.

so the syntec works out for me
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #115
lenzomaru

Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
Switched to Amsoil 10w 30 full syntec two days ago in my yaris sedan and my wife told me that the yaris is "driving dead"...Anybody know what maybe causing this ,, i used regular dino Castrol oil before, with no problems. I switched to syntec to save some $$$ since it increases my oil change interval.

Should i leave the syntec in my car? or drain out and go back to dino?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #116
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzomaru View Post
Switched to Amsoil 10w 30 full syntec two days ago in my yaris sedan and my wife told me that the yaris is "driving dead"...Anybody know what maybe causing this ,, i used regular dino Castrol oil before, with no problems. I switched to syntec to save some $$$ since it increases my oil change interval.

Should i leave the syntec in my car? or drain out and go back to dino?
Not too sure what she means by "driving dead". When I changed to syn I noticed easier starts and smoother engine function (noise, feel, vibration etc). I just use Canadian tires Formula syn oil which is very cheap on sale. Removed my valve cover last night to replace the seal and at 138000km it look ridiculously clean and brand new. No dark oil build up any where. I change it every 8-9000km depending on if I'm doing more city driving or not and the temperature.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #117
Hershey

I used 5w-20 and 5w-30 Shell synthetic due to quieter engine , especially on interstate . That oil was less than $3 a quart . Also used Pennzoil Platinum at times . I think the Canadian tires Formula synthetic is SHELL . I've posted used oil analysises for the Yarises we had .
Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #118
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
I used 5w-20 and 5w-30 Shell synthetic due to quieter engine , especially on interstate . That oil was less than $3 a quart . Also used Pennzoil Platinum at times . I think the Canadian tires Formula synthetic is SHELL . I've posted used oil analysises for the Yarises we had .
Yes, i've read that a few times as well, ct's formula syn is made by Shell. It's not a pure syn oil but the price is awesome on sale and my engine looks brand new inside so I'll stick with what seems to be working and is economical. Plus the winter start ups are much easier. Although i'm adding a block heater this summer.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #119
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Have you used or analyzed Mobil1 5W30 or Castrol Edge 5W30?
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #120
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Been running Mobile 1 since nearly day one. Just purchased some Redline 75w90 GL-4 for the trans. Need to install it. I just put the Redline in my Suzuki and it shifts very nicely.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #121
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Have you used or analyzed Mobil1 5W30 or Castrol Edge 5W30?
Sorry , no , just the SHELL and Pennzoil . Using Mobil1 A.F.E. 0w-20 in a '13 FIT . No U.O.A.s for that yet .

Last edited by Hershey; 04-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #122
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Been running Mobile 1 since nearly day one. Just purchased some Redline 75w90 GL-4 for the trans. Need to install it. I just put the Redline in my Suzuki and it shifts very nicely.
The MT90 is a great improvement for shifting . No clunk into reverse , notchiness or grinding . Would not advise a GL-5 for any Toyota manual tranny . Tried a MOBIL1 gear oil all the issues described and got worse . Drained it and put in the MT90 . Problems gone .

Last edited by Hershey; 04-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #123
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I'm posting in this very old thread because I believe that better oil is more critical on our older engines. I'm one of those people that drive my cars until they are totalled or so tired that they must be put down.

I've run synthetic oils for a very long time. When I was a kid I started to use synthetic in my air cooled motorcycles. At the time(mid 70's) the only brand making synthetic was Mobil1.

So for decades I was a big fan of Mobil1 oil. In the last few years I've seen more poor results in the form of UOA's for Mibil1 than ever before.

If you need a cheap synthetic oil, I say the Penzoil Platinum has taken to top spot from Mobil, as far as popular store bought brands. The UOA's show this to be the case.

For some time now I've been using Royal Purple and find it to be far superior to the more easy to find Synthetics.

If you buy RP in a 5-gallon jug, it can be had for under $7. per quart.

My 1.5 liter loves the stuff, and revs smoother with RP, than with any other oils I've tried.