Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #19
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Trini,

Any update with this problem?

Congrats on 420k.

Any other issues to report besides this minor electrical issue and the previous alternator replacement?

Thanks,

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Congrats trini on the 420k miles.

I'm sure this is a small wiring problem. Following this~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #21
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
so what ended up being wrong? did it get fixed?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
update please?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
update please?
One thing about Trini, he only comes around about once or twice a year.

Would be nice if he concluded the thread though.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #24
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Reminds me of a Nash.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
elcam84

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
What's the part number of the relay you have in there now (just to verify that it is the correct relay)?

From there I would check the following:

1. Ignition Switch - Remove the connector from the key switch and with the key off, check continuity between pin 5 (where the gray wire connects to) and pin 7 (where the black wire connects to). Then, move the key to each position and recheck. There should only be continuity between those two pins when the key is held in the start position.

2. While you have that connector off, on the harness side, measure the voltage between the gray wire and the black wire. It should read 12V. If it reads 0V, then there is a short in the wiring. If it reads more than zero, but less than one volt, then the automatic cranking circuit in the ECM is bad. This is the circuit that allows you to just bump the key and then the starter cranks by itself until the car starts. If that is the issue, you can do either of two things - Replace the ECM, or simply eliminate the "bump" starting (which you can do by cutting one wire in the under hood fuse box).

Stepdaughters 08 yaris has started the same symptoms when it's hot. Relay ign switch are good.
Which wire feeds the start relay from the ECM. Need to get it drivable then get a ECM and have it programmed later on.

Thanks
elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Stepdaughters 08 yaris has started the same symptoms when it's hot. Relay ign switch are good.
Which wire feeds the start relay from the ECM. Need to get it drivable then get a ECM and have it programmed later on.

Thanks
The orange wire in pin 52 of the ECM connector C20 (the larger connector).

Pin 52 is located on the row closest to the center of the connector, on the side where many of the pins are unpopulated.

Connector C20.jpg
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
they do it in my case. Of course, their are benefits to being 6'2" tall and looking like a mountain.
LOL....For some reason I was waiting for someone to jump on that...nothing wrong with a little humor here.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
elcam84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The orange wire in pin 52 of the ECM connector C20 (the larger connector).

Pin 52 is located on the row closest to the center of the connector, on the side where many of the pins are unpopulated.

Attachment 51818
Thanks for the quick reply. Will work on it in the morning when it's cooler. Still 96* here. Does that wire run to one of the white connectors that plug into the fuse box as there are two orange ones there. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for the car.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
LOL....For some reason I was waiting for someone to jump on that...nothing wrong with a little humor here.
Yep. Many of his posts crack me up. Another member has that quote from Thomas Paine "Arguing with a man who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" as part of his signature, and for some reason that quote prompts me to think of why? debating someone of inferior wit.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Will work on it in the morning when it's cooler. Still 96* here. Does that wire run to one of the white connectors that plug into the fuse box as there are two orange ones there. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for the car.
It does indeed. Connector CA1 is the one that is lifted in this picture and the orange wire between the brown and red is the orange one of interest.

Starter Wire CA1-8.jpg
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
elcam84

Thanks. Pulled the wire out of the connector this morning. Will update as she drives it the next few days.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
elcam84

Well LOML drove the car today... Started up fine this morning. She voulnteers at the food pantry here and I stopped in a few minutes before she was about to leave.

Got in turned the key and it started to crank then everything went dead. No lights of any sort no dome light nothing. Battery is nearly new etc. I pulled the cover off the steering column and unplugged the ignition switch and as soon as I did the door open light on the dash came on and then when I put the key in the ign the key minder starting annoying me. Then plugged the ign switch back in and it started up fine and she got it home.

I downloaded some partial service manuals and wiring diagrams but they aren't the most complete in the world. So I'm digging through them to see what could cause it to die then come back by un plugging the switch. I used to be an ASE master but that was a few years ago... Toyota has really done some really goofy stuff in recent years in how they wire their cars.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Sorry for hijacking this thread but it was the closest I could find to the same symptoms. Right now I'm leaning towards a bad ECM. Changed out many of them in the 90s on many cars. And those were relatively easy to diagnose as a bad ECM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well LOML drove the car today... Started up fine this morning. She voulnteers at the food pantry here and I stopped in a few minutes before she was about to leave.

Got in turned the key and it started to crank then everything went dead. No lights of any sort no dome light nothing. Battery is nearly new etc. I pulled the cover off the steering column and unplugged the ignition switch and as soon as I did the door open light on the dash came on and then when I put the key in the ign the key minder starting annoying me. Then plugged the ign switch back in and it started up fine and she got it home.

I downloaded some partial service manuals and wiring diagrams but they aren't the most complete in the world. So I'm digging through them to see what could cause it to die then come back by un plugging the switch. I used to be an ASE master but that was a few years ago... Toyota has really done some really goofy stuff in recent years in how they wire their cars.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Sorry for hijacking this thread but it was the closest I could find to the same symptoms. Right now I'm leaning towards a bad ECM. Changed out many of them in the 90s on many cars. And those were relatively easy to diagnose as a bad ECM.
Try reconnecting the wire. It may be a case where it detects that circuit not being present and it puts the ECM in an error state.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #34
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Scott, you're well worth whatever they pay you around here!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #35
elcam84

The ECM doesn't set any codes and it runs fine with the wire disconnected and it stopped the engine from cranking by just pushing in the clutch.

I also found out that the time on the radio has reset it's self a few times before any drivability problems started.

I have been going through the wiring diagrams in the service manual and I really wish I had a full schematic to look over as it's allot easier with the whole picture instead of just little snippets. But so far it's looking like an intermittent bad ecm. I can't find anything else wrong.

Reminds me of the time I bought a 94 le sabre with 30K on it from a dealer for 4K cause the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I figured out it had a bad ecm on the second cold start. CTS would read wrong and set a code if you just turned the key on and cranked but if you let the ecm warm up a few seconds it read properly and was fine. Bad chip on board or bad solder joint.

I appreciate the help as I didn't do allot of Toyota stuff in the past but did allot of mitsubishi and have pleasantly forgotten most of it.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The ECM doesn't set any codes and it runs fine with the wire disconnected and it stopped the engine from cranking by just pushing in the clutch.

I also found out that the time on the radio has reset it's self a few times before any drivability problems started.

I have been going through the wiring diagrams in the service manual and I really wish I had a full schematic to look over as it's allot easier with the whole picture instead of just little snippets. But so far it's looking like an intermittent bad ecm. I can't find anything else wrong.

Reminds me of the time I bought a 94 le sabre with 30K on it from a dealer for 4K cause the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I figured out it had a bad ecm on the second cold start. CTS would read wrong and set a code if you just turned the key on and cranked but if you let the ecm warm up a few seconds it read properly and was fine. Bad chip on board or bad solder joint.

I appreciate the help as I didn't do allot of Toyota stuff in the past but did allot of mitsubishi and have pleasantly forgotten most of it.

Chances are that her 08 doesn't have the transponder key (you can tell by looking at the ignition switch, which will be all metal if it does not, and about a 1/2" circle of metal surrounded by shiny black plastic if it does). If it does not, then swapping the ECM is as simple as swapping it. The only thing stored in the ECM that is specific to the vehicle is the VIN.

If hers has an MT, no transponder key, and no ABS, then I actually have a spare, good, ECM that I could reprogram the VIN to match and then ship to you. If it cures the problem, shoot me $60 to cover my cost on the ECM and shipping and if it doesn't, ship it back to me and we'll figure out where to look next.