Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
RSboyz

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS
What % should i tint?

so i have an appointment to tint my windows next week and i want to get some ideas of what % i should tint the front 2 and the back 2 and the hatch. my yaris is a white 4-door hatchback. please post some pictures if you can. thank you
RSboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Personally I would go 5% on the hatch and 35% on all the side windows

I went 5% on the hatch and 20% on the sides and it's too dark imo.
My xtreme was 35% on the sides and 5% on the back window and it was perfect.

07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
RSboyz

yes that looks to be pretty dark and i dont think it would be "LEGAL" to do that down here in vancouver. i heard most ppl do 20% or something like that but thanks for sharing
Old 09-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
I believe 5% is legal in Canada. 5% is also known as 'limo tint'. I'm from vancouver and when I did mine, the guy offered 5% tint but he said that doing the passenger/driver window is illegal. He said that he had to say it but it was up to me if i wanted the front done or not. I ended up getting 20% back and 50% front. Also note, 5%, in vancouver where we get lots of liquid sunshine... 5% will be hard to see out of when it's rainy and dark.

How much are you paying for your tints?

Herez a few pics. Took pics during labour day wknd when it was just blazing hot and bright as hell so a lot of light is coming through so the tint may seem a lil lighter!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.JPG (175.5 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.JPG (143.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0271.JPG (105.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0272.JPG (162.0 KB, 235 views)
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
RSboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngz
I believe 5% is legal in Canada. 5% is also known as 'limo tint'. I'm from vancouver and when I did mine, the guy offered 5% tint but he said that doing the passenger/driver window is illegal. He said that he had to say it but it was up to me if i wanted the front done or not. I ended up getting 20% back and 50% front. Also note, 5%, in vancouver where we get lots of liquid sunshine... 5% will be hard to see out of when it's rainy and dark.

How much are you paying for your tints?

Herez a few pics. Took pics during labour day wknd when it was just blazing hot and bright as hell so a lot of light is coming through so the tint may seem a lil lighter!!
yeah i heard its illegal to tint the front 2 in vancouver thats why everyone prefer lighter tint on the front 2 and dark tint on the back but your front 2 windows are with 20% tint? they dont look like tinted at all to me. maybe it just the lighting. im thinking if 50% in the back wouldnt that be too dark? cuz i saw other ppl posted up their pics with like 20% or 35% tint and its already very dark. right now im planning to tint 35 all around but not sure if that would be a great idea

i have a 5-door rs hatch so i have 7 windows in total and the guy i have is telling me 200 all 7 windows with no tax.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
the lower the number, the darker it is. i have 20 in the back, 50 in the front. I got mine done by some chinese dude who tints cars for the car dealership. he did mine, 7 windows for 180 bucks. the thing is he does it in his garage... he also does a mobile service where he comes to you but i dont kno the pricing for that...
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I would go anywhere from 15-20% all around except fro the windshield. That will get you arrested.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
50-35-10 front to back.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Wayside

Drives: 07 yaris 5spd sdn
I have 35% LLumar all around.

side.jpg
Wayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #10
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I think i got 30 - 40 % tints, My mum got it done!! SHE DIDNT EVEN CONSULT ME ABOUT IT :(

If i was u.....ill go for 20% tints, or what my step dad said to the guy..."i want the darkest legal tint" lol
hasher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Same % all the way around... I never understood mixing it up.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Legal limit for tint in my state is 50% on the front, any percent anywhere else... and since I wouldn't be OK with 50% all the way around (too light) I have no choice. Its a common setup around here, though, and it doesn't look as bad as you might think.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Yea, weird.
Same here, you can't do the fronts, but I've done anywhere from 20% all around, to 5% on my last Yukon. Never a hassle. *knockswood*
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSboyz
yes that looks to be pretty dark and i dont think it would be "LEGAL" to do that down here in vancouver. i heard most ppl do 20% or something like that but thanks for sharing
Regardless what you % is you can be fined and it's up to the cop.
If the tint is dark enough they can't see who is driving or see your hands you can be stopped and fined.

Here in Canada only (factory smoked) 65% or higher is legal on the front drivers and passenger windows.
The rear passenger windows and the back windscreen can be any tint.

You can get away with 50% tint on the front drivers/passenger windows and NEVER have a problem because there is little difference between 65 and 50%.

With 35% you won't likely ever have a problem because you can still see in the car somewhat.

If you go 20% like i did with my Yaris you are eventually going to get into trouble. Not only can't you see in the windows, you can't see out worth a darn when it's dark. It's not very safe and it far from being legal.

Like I said before, mixing the tint on the sides of cars just looks cheap and halfassed.
For the best look you are better off going with a slightly lighter tint and 5% on the very back window. 35% for all the side windows looks about the best and is the best combo of looking good, safety and not getting fined.

If I were to do it all over agian I would get 35% on my yaris. This 20% is just too dark. It looks HOT but I've been stopped at customs because of it and it honestly is not very safe.

This is my truck with 35%

Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayside
I have 35% LLumar all around.

Attachment 1322
Looks great
If you had of gone 5% with the rear window (back windshield only), it would have darkend the interior more and made the rest of the windows look a bit darker as well.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
FoEKuZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to FoEKuZ
before and after pics..i got 20% all around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02196.JPG (138.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02197.JPG (137.0 KB, 194 views)
FoEKuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #17
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSboyz
so i have an appointment to tint my windows next week and i want to get some ideas of what % i should tint the front 2 and the back 2 and the hatch. my yaris is a white 4-door hatchback. please post some pictures if you can. thank you
20% or 35% on all five rear glass pieces will give you a great look.
It's not too dark during the day, and even at night, it's very visible.

1 - Rear Windshield
2 - Left Rear Door Window
3 - Left Rear Door Quarter Window
4 - Right Rear Door Window
5 - Right Rear Door Quarter Window

On a WHITE Yaris, I prefer the tint to be a little lighter so I would personally prefer 35% on all five pieces.

I went with 20% on all five pieces since my car is black.

But this also depends on film your installer is using.

Huber Optik and Madico manufacture high quality films that are ceramic based.

I've included pics below to give you an idea of what 20% looks like during the day and at various angles/shades.

Relatively Clear Day, few clouds

Slight overcast

Clear conditions, sun shining directly at my car

Another angle

Another (great) shot
Old 09-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
RSboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
Regardless what you % is you can be fined and it's up to the cop.
If the tint is dark enough they can't see who is driving or see your hands you can be stopped and fined.

Here in Canada only (factory smoked) 65% or higher is legal on the front drivers and passenger windows.
The rear passenger windows and the back windscreen can be any tint.

You can get away with 50% tint on the front drivers/passenger windows and NEVER have a problem because there is little difference between 65 and 50%.

With 35% you won't likely ever have a problem because you can still see in the car somewhat.

If you go 20% like i did with my Yaris you are eventually going to get into trouble. Not only can't you see in the windows, you can't see out worth a darn when it's dark. It's not very safe and it far from being legal.

Like I said before, mixing the tint on the sides of cars just looks cheap and halfassed.
For the best look you are better off going with a slightly lighter tint and 5% on the very back window. 35% for all the side windows looks about the best and is the best combo of looking good, safety and not getting fined.

If I were to do it all over agian I would get 35% on my yaris. This 20% is just too dark. It looks HOT but I've been stopped at customs because of it and it honestly is not very safe.

This is my truck with 35%

thanks for the pictures! yeah i think yours 20% on the white yaris would be too dark. after many ppl posted up pics and gave me ideas, im thinking im gonna go with 35% on all windows but not sure about the rear hatch yet.

also thanks for the info on the legal tinting part in canada. i never knew about that