Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
New York New (older) Yaris owner

Hello all, proud new owner of a mint condition (mint colored too!) 2009 Yaris sedan. I've been looking for a nice used Toyota for about a month now to replace a highly dependable but thoroughly rusted out 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage coupe. I have to say I haven't ever been so giddy about a used car before. Had a 1992 4 speed Tercel back in the day in the same color and loved it to death. I guess the minty color got me good because everyday after my searches online for a Prius, I just felt a calling to this car. Funny how I was sure I wanted a Prius after one test drive, only to start realizing just how much I didn't want one with each subsequent test drive. So darn cute is all I can say about this Yaris. I never would have thought that I would fit in it, let alone a 4 door model, but when I saw it....... 5 speed, just how I like it, pw, pl, cruise always garaged, 0 rust, original 2009 stamped tires with plenty of treadlife left and under 20k miles, I knew I would have been broken-hearted if I didn't take her home! I spent more $$ than I would have liked, but very happy my search is over. I am anxious to get on board here to learn and contribute. Talk to y'all Yaris folk soon!
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Nice find! Can't believe you were able to find one under 20k miles.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Well done! You've made an excellent choice!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
20k, wow. Nice!

Welcome.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
sarap

Drives: red liftback egg
funnest car to drive ! congrats
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Thanks all. I have been driving it for a few days now while using an ultragauge connected to the obd port. It is telling me my average mpg in local suburban driving is 40.5 mpg. We'll see when I start doing the real calculations of dividing miles driven by gallons in, but I'm sure it's up there. I KNEW the 36mpg highway rating HAD to be set ridiculously low. Correction to the first post, tires are actually stamped for 2008, and the tires do have some wear on them, but plenty left. so I'm convinced the odometer is correct.....unless of course this man disconnected the dash in between inspections and oil changes, and recalls, and swapped 4 rims/tires as well. There is no carpet or seat wear whatsoever. Car still has a decent amount of new car smell, believe it or not, especially when I turn on the heat. Records from the local toyota dealership where the original owner serviced the car showed 4 oil changes in all those years from 2009 to 2014. The last one now going on 2.5 years with only about 1500 miles driven since then. My concern was that so few miles were driven in between, 2k miles one year, 3 in another, etc. original owner confirmed it was only driven locally by the Mrs. as he stopped driving altogether. It runs perfect....but the cold start the morning after I took it home was not so perfect sounding. Neither was the cold afternoon start, or the next morning. I put some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the tank and it started progressively better with the subsequent cold starts. It is now starting perfectly, so I'm convinced the 3/4 tank of gas I got it with was very old. Probably laid down a nice coat of varnish in the injectors with the little use it's had. I'm changing the oil today and will be running BG44k through the tank now that I burned through almost all the old gas. (been driving 21 miles since the last bar on the gas gauge started the faster blinking.) I will post my mpgs. Weird though how there are quite a few posts here and in other toyota forums of Yaris owners complaining about low mpg ratings, and an equal amount it seems of owners getting mid 40s and up. Time will tell, soon. Thanks again guys, I see that now I'm blubbering on and on like a kid talking about a new video game he got.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirageman View Post
I will post my mpgs. Weird though how there are quite a few posts here and in other toyota forums of Yaris owners complaining about low mpg ratings, and an equal amount it seems of owners getting mid 40s and up. Time will tell, soon. Thanks again guys, I see that now I'm blubbering on and on like a kid talking about a new video game he got.
According to the average-MPG dashboard calculator, I have been averaging 40.1 to 40.3 MPG since buying my 2015 Yaris SE 6 months ago, and resetting the computer in the first week of owning it (to remove old dealer lot and factory data stored in it). Most people say that the 'real world' MPG is actually 2-3 MPG less than what the computer indicates. In any event, I am happy with my suburb/city (occasionally spirited) commute driving MPG averages.

Also, congrats on the your new Yaris purchase - funky color and all. Used cars can be hard to find in good shape, with low mileage - which isn't surprising considering how badly/aggressively I see most people driving their vehicles on my daily commutes.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I filled my gas tank back to full today and decided to manually calculate my mileage from this last week. 295.1 miles on 6.927 gallons of gas = 42.6 MPG. Not bad!
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote