Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
cesar

Drives: none
Yaris - Ground Clearance - Deer Problem!

Hello Everyone:

This is an unusual question but here it goes!

I am interested in buying a Yaris but am concerned what might happen if I hit a deer (just hit a deer last week with my VW!). Lots of deer in my area! I don't think I have enough ground clearance to drive over if I hit one therefore could I lose control of the car?
Last week I hit a deer but fortunately I was able to drive over it (no way I could stop in time or obviously I would have). For those of you who live in the northwest you know this is a problem. How do you handle it.

Sorry about this difficult question but its an issue. Thanks for any insights.
cesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I saw a dear go right through a car's windshield a few years ago breaking the noses knocking out the teeth and gouging out the eyes of the two people in the front seats. So I wouldn't be too worried about driving over one. It's a problem for sure and the only way to protect against a collision is a bigger car even a truck with fwd. Even then stuff can happen. Look at my avatar. That's a moose I saw dead on the highway in British Columbia in 2011 on my trip from New Jersey to Alaska and back! No I didn't hit it in my Yaris but a couple driving past my stop the car thought I did! They looked in my car expecting to see bodies and when they saw me standing on the side of the road near the moose they gave me dirty looks!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
cesar

Thanks Bronsin. Actually I live in British Columbia (no moose in my area thank God!). That's a very long trip with your Yaris! You have a point about buying a truck I suppose.

Hoping to hear from people who hit a deer while driving their Yaris and what happened?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The moose was on 97 between Kamloops and Prince George.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Deer

If they aren't already roadkill laying in your path and visually missed--If standing or running--then they usually go over the hood? Close spaced and highly sloped A-pillars should give Yaris relatively good protection against coming through windshield. I'll dig up deer story on another forum re: the totaled 1989 Tercel I fixed and kept driving.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
cesar

The dear that I hit went underneath my car, a vw golf wagon. I had just enough clearance I suppose. You could certainly find one dead on the road - roadkill.