Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #73
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
...few people know how to drive a manual.
And that's a crying shame. When I grew up - most people *wanted* to learn how to drive a stick and did. I think it should be a mandatory skill.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #74
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I leaned to drive in the early 70s and few cars had a manual. It had to learn to drive a manual in the Army. Today, all the Army vehicles are automatic.

Regardless of how nostalgic you might be towards the manual transmission, its day is going to come to an end. So much so that if a dealer has one, you might wind up paying more for it than an automatic.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #75
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I think the main point is that what does the car makers consider most cost effective. You can't argue about the efficiencies of a manual transmission. You can argue that when the dealers are selling the shinny and new cars, more people want an automatic. When the manufacturer starts to compare the costs of making manuals vs automatics, if one gives you equal mileage, has more buyer appeal, and saves you production costs....that is the transmission you will produce more of.

As for automatics costing more to repair, yes, they do but I would also argue that they are more reliable than manuals. Most autos go over 100k miles without any problems. Most manuals have to have their clutch worked on because most people....no matter how the person says they know how to drive a clutch....don't know how to operate one.

If automatics were such a horror, why have the vast majorities of all cars and trucks sold today have an automatic for their transmission....cost effectiveness, and reliability. The bottom line will eventually dictate the answer.
The reason the "vast majority" in the states are automatics is because Americans are lazy. We have too many things to do (eat a burger, drink a big gulp, smoke cigs, put on makeup, yell at the kids) or be concerned with(billy's soccer practice, work, school, spouse, making more money) rather than being engaged (literally) and it total control while driving.

Personally, my mind is at ease and I'm not thinking about all of the concerns and issues in life. All I'm doing is driving. I don't find working the clutch and gearbox a chore either, really I don't even think about it, I just do it. My subconscious is most likely continuously planning responses and actions to any and all scenarios that may arise. But again, all I'm able to concern myself with is the task at hand, which is very satisfying considering the unending multitasking required on a daily basisnl.

We've had at least five fords that had the auto trans fall out under 100,000 miles. And this is with respectable adults driving (not being dogged out).

My truck kept the original clutch until about 190,000 miles. I'm at 275,000 now. I don't think the truck would still perform the same if it was an automatic.

Those who think the manual transmission is a thing of the past will meet their end before the manual trans does.

Or the way manual transmissions die is when gas engines die. All you need is one gear if its electric.

Last edited by NZ-FE Vios; 10-10-2011 at 06:11 PM.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #76
Altitude

@daf - It's not nostalgia, just an observation that driving a stick is no longer considered a skill to learn.

I do not believe MT's will ever go away and if it ever came to be that it is more expensive to buy a car with an MT I would gladly pay it.

I've never owned a car that wasn't MT and I've also never had to replace a transmission, only the clutches. How many automatic owners can say the same?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #77
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
The reason the "vast majority" in the states are automatics is because Americans are lazy. We have too many things to do (eat a burger, drink a big gulp, smoke cigs, put on makeup, yell at the kids) or be concerned with(billy's soccer practice, work, school, spouse, making more money) rather than being engaged (literally) and it total control while driving.

Personally, my mind is at ease and I'm not thinking about all of the concerns and issues in life. All I'm doing is driving. I don't find working the clutch and gearbox a chore either, really I don't even think about it, I just do it. My subconscious is most likely continuously planning responses and actions to any and all scenarios that may arise. But again, all I'm able to concern myself with is the task at hand, which is very satisfying considering the unending multitasking required on a daily basisnl.

We've had at least five fords that had the auto trans fall out under 100,000 miles. And this is with respectable adults driving (not being dogged out).

My truck kept the original clutch until about 190,000 miles. I'm at 275,000 now. I don't think the truck would still perform the same if it was an automatic.

Those who think the manual transmission is a thing of the past will meet their end before the manual trans does.

Or the way manual transmissions die is when gas engines die. All you need is one gear if its electric.
Well, we will see! I don't really have any heartburn about it one way or the other expect to say I prefer an automatic. It not laziness.....what an absurd thing to say. I suppose you think using an MP3 player is lazy as opposed to using a record player?

Technology changes....and sometimes we don't have any choices to be made because the economics of how things are built take those decisions away.

But I hope you are happy with you manual!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #78
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Maybe I went a little too far. Not everyone drives an auto because they are lazy but I'd say that would be a fair generalization as an American.

I've never owned a record player. But I consider that a false dichotomy.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #79
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
...and if it ever came to be that it is more expensive to buy a car with an MT I would gladly pay it.
I would not be surprised if MT is more expensive for some cars, even now. Not on the MSRP but when you go into a dealership, you can probably get a bigger discount on an AT equipped car sitting on his lot than a MT equipped car you have to hunt around for or special order...

I too would pay whatever it takes to get the MT version (if available) of the car I want.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #80
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Maybe I went a little too far. Not everyone drives an auto because they are lazy but I'd say that would be a fair generalization as an American.

I've never owned a record player. But I consider that a false dichotomy.
Ok....how about someone who uses a MP3 vs a CD player? The point is the same. Technology advances sometimes makes the choice for us. At some point, the industry makes the choice for us and we are powerless in the decision.

American are lazy so that isn't a reach, but ATs have been the majority of transmissions sold in the US since at least 1975.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #81
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

When a next or back button has a clutch I'll agree.

What automotive manufacturer doesn't sell a manual ?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #82
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The '08 base model 3 door with the 5 speed manual we had was fun to drive . Made you think about your driving . But thanks to results like these with the '08 base model sedan w/ the 4 speed auto the manual tranny isn't missed all that much . The calculated mileage was 41.05 .
Attached Images

Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #83
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
The reason the "vast majority" in the states are automatics is because Americans are lazy.
That'd be a great theory if the same wasn't happening in a lot of other countries!

Quote:
Seriously? You're comparing Ford transmissions with that of Toyota? Ford can't make a good transmission, manual or otherwise. I drove two brand new Fusions a few weeks back and both were horrible.

Quote:
Right, you've really convinced me with that one! Anyone who still drives a 1994 truck is the one clinging on to the past!

Do you still own your old 8-track cassettes as well?!?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #84
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
In nearly 30 years of driving, I hadn't owned a vehicle with a manual transmission. I learned to drive stick before I was old enough to drive, but never used the knowledge. A month ago I bought my first MT vehicle (a 92 Celica GT convertible). It took me a week or so to get in the groove, but I am really enjoying it. It almost makes me wish that my Yaris was MT.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #85
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
That'd be a great theory if the same wasn't happening in a lot of other countries!

Seriously? You're comparing Ford transmissions with that of Toyota? Ford can't make a good transmission, manual or otherwise. I drove two brand new Fusions a few weeks back and both were horrible.

Right, you've really convinced me with that one! Anyone who still drives a 1994 truck is the one clinging on to the past!

Do you still own your old 8-track cassettes as well?!?
1) Let's see empirical data in favor of your claim.

2) My comment about fords was relating to the statements regarding manual transmissions being phazed out.

3) I bet I'm younger than you. What's an 8-track (rhetorical, predecessor to standard tape deck)? My 94 Toyota truck runs like a top, has 275,000 miles on it. The value to sell is less than the value it is to me keeping it. It still does great in snow and mud and has a lot of utility. Gearbox is great, lowrange is great, high range is great. I'm not in a position to buy a new truck either, much less a newer Toyota 4x4. They hold their value incredibly well, especially in a manual transmission because the demand is much greater than supply in 4x4 manual Toyota trucks. Why would I not keep a vehicle that I know the history of for most of its life?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #86
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Anyone who still drives a 1994 truck is the one clinging on to the past!
You don't believe that now do you?

My Wrangler is a '97 (not too far from '94) and I'll be driving that thing 'til it won't drive anymore. And yes, it's a manual. It's got another 10, 15 maybe 20 years on it.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #87
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
You don't believe that now do you?

My Wrangler is a '97 (not too far from '94) and I'll be driving that thing 'til it won't drive anymore. And yes, it's a manual. It's got another 10, 15 maybe 20 years on it.
Jeeps don't count, they're timeless!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #88
fj40dave

Drives: '08 HB
Guess which one has the 9C1 350 with the SM420 and twin stick 3sp T-Case, Lockers, SOA, OBA, Warn 8240

The automatic is because it's easy to drive ... but I'm certainly not lazy!

Attached Images

fj40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #89
centrysis

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
My wife wanted a MT, but she had blown out her ACL, so I convinced her to get an AT. Her knee still bothers her sometimes, and she's glad she went with the AT. When I bought my Yaris, there were 10 of them on the lot, and only one was a MT. I went with the AT. After years of driving a MT and working 12 hour days, I just wanted to get in, put it in drive and go.
centrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #90
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
My local Toyota dealer hates me because they have been calling and calling, trying to get me to trade in my '09 on a Gen 3 '12+ and I told them flat out "No dice, unless you come up with a manual SE."

There isn't a single manual SE on the lot. There isn't one in the region, or at port. There isn't even one on the boats over from Japan. They are not pleased with me, but it is the one thing I will not budge on. Not because it's more efficient or because it's fewer moving parts, easier to maintain, and will last longer than it's automatic bretheren.

But because it's fun. And I can not have a tiny car like a Yaris with 106 beans under the hood and have the fun zapped out because the transmission shifts when it thinks it should, not when I tell it to. I should be able to rev it and rev it and rev it until the valves come out and dance around on top of the hood, and then change gear.

Not to knock those that chose the automatic. I hate myself when I go through downtown Atlanta traffic. But there's a reason her's is the automatic and mine is the manual.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote