Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #199
flg

Drives: Silver Toyota
Personally, I'm noticing that it works below 1100rpm unless I'm over 75mph. it dosen't work at all over 75mph? What is this over 75mph sh$%t getting stuck on 125-135mpg down a hill???
flg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #200
jongscx

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
I had always been curious about this. I bought a 2nd hand (AT) 2 DR hatchback, and didn't really know much about the Yaris.
By nature, I'd always coast as much as possible instead of the vroom-skrrrt everyone else did and noticed the engine sounded much different when I did.

I presumed it was engine braking or something. Good to know I'm saving gas.
jongscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #201
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
DFCO and engine braking...

When I bought my '08 3-door...I noticed a considerable engine braking when I took my foot off the accelerator! When going to work I have to descend down a long steep hill. My Jeep Liberty always required considerable braking to keep it down to the speed limit. With the Yaris, being much lighter and DFCO, the vehicle will coast down at about the speed limit without any braking required.
I could literally feel the engine compression helping to keep the speed down.
Felt like a miniature Jack-Brake was on.
I once had a Mazda compact pickup...coming down through the mountains one time...I thought that I would have to replace the brakes by the time I had gotten down (even in low gear). The Yaris just stays at about 30-40 mph.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #202
Edwin5000

Drives: 2008 Civic LX sedan 5AT
I don't have a Yaris (yet) , sorry. But DFCO can be a useful tool if/when you use it for slowing down or controlling speed on steep hills. For gliding, not so good. In my automatic Civic , it works in any gear , and at any RPM above 1000. For those who are not sure if they are in DFCO mode, you can usually feel the deceleration, or if you can't, your SG2 will show 9999 MPG (or 0.0 l/100km). You guys have ScanGauges , right ?

But I'm pretty sure that any "hypermiler" from CleanMPG doesn't try to glide in DFCO.
Edwin5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #203
Edwin5000

Drives: 2008 Civic LX sedan 5AT
"the end user can induce DFCO conditions more often than 'natural driving' would
by adjusting how they use the kinetic energy of the vehicle, and the gas pedal and gear choices"

My keyboard is acting up ; I can't seem to make it highlight the text I want to present as a quote. This guy (127.0.0.1) seems to know a thing or two. Or at least I do not disagree with his post , lol. Does anyone know why he was banned ?
For my driving (not many steep hills) I find that invoking DFCO is most useful for driving with load (DWL) in traffic. When you maintain the proper interval , DFCO can mean you don't need to touch the brake when the person in front of you hits his. Any sudden lift of your right foot should put you in DFCO.
My findings/comments are based on my experience with my Civic automatic , which apparently works a little differently than the Yaris with regards to DFCO.
Edwin5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #204
vincentg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
is there a video of how exactly one can accomplish this? :)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #205
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentg View Post
is there a video of how exactly one can accomplish this? :)
very simply, when you take your foot off the gas it happens, except as you slow down and the engine RPM's drop below around 1100 rmp the ECU starts supplying fuel again, to avoid stalling the engine.

Automatics do it too, but not as quickly, depending on the gear engaged.

Downshifting to slow the car when braking of course is the same thing, foot is off the gas. If the DFCO did not happen you would not get much engine braking.

It's really very simple, and you don't need to know anything about it for it to work. Knowing that it is cutting off the fuel will help you to decide to either coast with the clutch in or or out, depending on how much engine braking you need.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #206
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #207
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
you don't need to know anything about it for it to work
LOL
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #208
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Haha this old thread was stickied so I assume it doesn't matter as much when people revive it.

Anyways, I've noticed the DFCO on the Yaris is not very noticeable on a manual transmission. With DFCO, my Yaris doesn't lug as bad as my civic did and I'm able to coast more effectively. Still getting 37-40mpg while hitting up to 85mph on the freeway and maintaining at least 70mph. Still rather impressive compared to my old civic which did around 30-33mpg.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #209
Hayabusaboy

Drives: 2007 white hatchback
When I brake going down a hill near my home the car feels like it downshift, it slows the car down so much that I have to accelerate to get the car to shift back to OD. I hate it, make me so mad some times that I floor board it to get going again. Is there a way to avoid this idiotic function?
Hayabusaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #210
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusaboy View Post
When I brake going down a hill near my home the car feels like it downshift, it slows the car down so much that I have to accelerate to get the car to shift back to OD. I hate it, make me so mad some times that I floor board it to get going again. Is there a way to avoid this idiotic function?
Trade it in and get a manual (I couldn't resist ).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #211
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Since you don't have a manual tranny, try sticking it in neutral so that it will roll free, if you want to coast. However, if you are braking you want the engine holdback.

If you needed to brake just a little bit, then want to coast again a small tap of the gas should tell the transmission to up shift again. Flooring it will make it want to downshift even more.

Automatics are really Nannytrannies.. they try to decide for you what you need. Manuals are for those who want to be in control!
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #212
nobodywise

Drives: Yaris sedan
Is this avaliable for the 2nz-fe?

I love the back of my car, the front... not so much
nobodywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #213
Redflow2014

Drives: Yaris d4d
Does the 2002 d4d have this?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
Redflow2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #214
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
It doesn't wear out your clutch to coast down hill in gear.
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #215
Brunno One

Drives: 2013 TOYOTA YARIS SPORT.
I think it works.

I read about this DFCO thing and give it a try. 2013 Yaris Sport with manual transmission.
Got to say that I filled my tank with premium quality fuel, I over-filled it to the point of some fuel spill. I drive in the conservative zone of 40 mph to 60 mph.

Set the controls to monitor MPGs... When I lift the foot off the throttle that MPG monitor is set to 9999... I hit the throttle pedal and the MPG numbers started to flicker and constantly change. Low numbers if I press it to hard, good high numbers if I keep it in a sweet-spot of 45 mph / 55 mph.

Used the A/C just a few times minimum.

I am impressed that I was able to get over 80 driven miles on the over-filled fuel before the fuel gauge needle sets at the FULL mark and began to monitor fuel consumption.

So far I got 262 driven miles with half tank (drove a bit harsh on the weekend) and I think I can get 400 driven mikes when it goes to E (empty)

Average MPG monitor got better ratings too, from a 24.7 mpg to 38.5 mpg.
Attached Images

Brunno One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #216
sunsanvil

Drives: 2018 LE 5DR A4
Is it possible that on newer models DFCO functions in 4th for the Autos?

Our 2018 will report a fuel flow of, literally, 0.0 when going downhill in top gear (not 3rd) with no foot on either pedal. The slightest press of the gas brings flow to a couple L/100 of course. Conversely with a gentle press of the break we initially still see 0.0, but as as the speed (or more likely the RPM) dips, a minimal flow is manifest at a certain point.

Seems consistent with how DFCO works, no?
sunsanvil is offline   Reply With Quote