Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Why I bought a Yaris - part 2

Everyone has their peeves - mine is rear wheel discs

I can't stand looking thru some nice wheels at drum brakes

and while the Yaris is far from a performance car, I just can't put down my money on a car without 4W discs

The Ford Fiesta ST is a nice choice but is manual shift only and the base Fiesta has drum rears

Ultimately, I prefer the styling and SE trim components of the Yaris over all other competitors

It's the only car that has nothing fatal about it!

Test drove every one of these competitors:

Honda Fit - too common/ over styled
Scion iA - fugly front styling
Chevy Sonic - fugly front styling
Prius C - i'm not a liberal
Honda CR-Z - no 4 door
Chevy Spark - joke not a real car
VW Beetle - had one
Fiat 500 - fugly
Nissan Versa - dont need/ want a GIANT back seat

Any ideas on what the colored dots on the disk and tire are for?

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 03-16-2016 at 12:53 AM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I agree. I'm not a fan of the styling of any of the vehicles that you mentioned above. The 2015/2016 Yaris SE trim, on the hand, actually has the styling and features that I like/wanted - minus unwanted tech bloat like backup camera, lane assist, etc (which stopped me from wanting/buying an Acura ILX). As one YouTube reviewer stated, the 2015/2016 Yaris SE is an economy car that doesn't look or feel like an economy car. I also like that I don't see the Yaris (especially the SE) everywhere, like with the Corolla, Civic, Fit, etc. In fact, I have only seen 2-3 of them on the road TOTAL in my area since they hit the market in late 2014. Most of the L/LE that I see (also a rare sighting out here) are probably rental/fleet vehicles, more often than not.

If I could change/add certain features to my SE, it would be the following:
- Add another 25-30 factory horsepower to round it out properly with its other features and styling.
- Add the factory side-mirror turn-signals like found in other markets for the Yaris/Vitz.
- Add the factory upgraded climate-control dash setup like found in other markets for the Yaris/Vitz.

I would have gladly paid more for those features, and Toyota should better differentiate trim-levels with things like this.

I also would have seriously considered the Yaris Hybrid if they offered it in the USA. Much nicer looking car than the homely/odd Prius and Prius-C.

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-15-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
lol @ I'm not a liberal.

I'd be lying if I said the Focus ST and RS aren't extremely attractive options to me.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

the focus st was the clear choice for me

right sized/ great styling

i was shocked to learn its manual only
Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
ern-diz

It's the same with the Civic Si.

I actually like that they respect the performance line and only offer them in 6 speed manual.

The only auto I'd ever buy would be a paddle shift variant, but I only see the need in much higher hp cars.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The Focus ST is a nice looking car, but I just don't trust Ford quality/craftsmanship. Volkswagon falls into the same category for me - some nice looking cars, but questionable longer-term quality/craftsmanship.

As for manual vs automatic, I've never owned an automatic in my 35+ years of driving, but I am more open to them now at this stage in my life. My current Yaris is likely my last manual vehicle , but I'm really enjoying that last dance.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
Everyone has their peeves - mine is rear wheel disks

I can't stand looking thru some nice wheels at drum brakes

and while the Yaris is far from a performance car, I just can't put down my money on a car without 4W disks
I agree. The four wheel discs were a significant factor in my decision to go with the SE model. I still find it hard to believe that any car still comes with drums in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The 2015/2016 Yaris SE trim, on the hand, actually has the styling and features that I like/wanted - minus unwanted tech bloat like backup camera, lane assist, etc.

If I could change/add certain features to my SE, it would be the following:
- Add another 25-30 factory horsepower to round it out properly with its other features and styling.
- Add the factory side-mirror turn-signals like found in other markets for the Yaris/Vitz.
- Add the factory upgraded climate-control dash setup like found in other markets for the Yaris/Vitz.

I would have gladly paid more for those features, and Toyota should better differentiate trim-levels with things like this.

I also would have seriously considered the Yaris Hybrid if they offered it in the USA. Much nicer looking car than the homely/odd Prius and Prius-C.
Agree with you as well. My SE is a 2014 however. Just the right amount of good stuff without too much nonsense. And you are right that Toyota should do a little more to make the SE model stand out. My suggestions would be a TRD rear sway bar as standard, (I have installed one on mine), Mirror turn signals (also installed on my car) and a set of sport pedals (which I have not installed yet. Still looking for a nice set that fits properly.)
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I agree. The four wheel discs were a significant factor in my decision to go with the SE model. I still find it hard to believe that any car still comes with drums in this day and age.
I feel like the Yaris is so light and stops so well, disc in the rear is unnecessary and will just end up costing more to maintain. I have drums in the back in my '07. I'm at 65k on the original brakes all the way around and she stops on a dime.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
justanotherdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I feel like the Yaris is so light and stops so well, disc in the rear is unnecessary

agree

for me its all about looks and appearance of the car
Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
agree

for me its all about looks and appearance of the car
They def look better.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I would have appreciated a back up camera as the city I live in has heavy downtown traffic that has to backed into. It keeps me from going to downtown most hours of the day because of that. And I love my manual 15 SE. I quit driving a very nice but extremely boring 13 Avalon Limited because it was an automatic. I like to keep my hands busy. And I'm still relatively young at 40. After school I am giving my Yaris to my mother and buying a Tacoma or a 4runner. I'm NOT trading this beloved Yaris in. It will be ran till it can't run anymore or if it is totalled in an accident. And I like the Prius C. Although it needs an overhaul and AWD would make it perfect. I always wanted a AWD Subaru Justy growing up, but I had a wonderful Ford Festiva.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The colored dots are supposed to go opposit the valve stem for balance purposes.

At least on motorcycle tires!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
justanotherdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The colored dots are supposed to go opposit the valve stem for balance purposes.
thanks