Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #19
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
Check these two points. Mounts can feel sold but if not completely flush against the liftback, the strut will rub against the body when closed (I used rubber pads to stop the rubbing but the struts tore right through them). You'll see wear marks on the body. There's only a small amount of clearance.
I looked that over and no aparent chaffing.The mounts are a bit rusted but solid and not pried away.

I am going to take it in and get it checked by a pro.Its something inside the car,not outside.I have totally removed the entire back plastic,everything except ceiling.The onlt time rattle is not there is with hatch open driving.I tried on desertred road.Its not all that loud but a tingling sound.The road doesnt have to be bumpy,just any average road even any little disturbance in pavement.If the dealer cant find then i will remove lock mechanism totally as well as the wiper components and just have a bare door to see what happens.I have had shittier built cars then this without this nonsense.

p.s the backseats are already out along with all seatbelt hardware.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #20
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
broken stretched missing clips or claws? anywhere can put somefer screws?
After removing everything I decided to remove brakelight (Top back window)

There is wires wrapped in thick plastic that was rattling against metal.I ziptied that sucker and issue resolved.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #21
Pinchlite

Quote:
Check the hatchback lift strut mounts. There is an issue with them breaking on the older hatchbacks. Mine broke on the right side and I used a fix that I found on the forum. Left side is starting to go, spot welds are stretching and the hatch lift strut hits up against the body of the car and rattles like crazy. Only solution I found for the time being until they snap off is to put a gob of silicone grease.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=strut+mount

There is wires wrapped in thick plastic that was rattling against metal.I ziptied that sucker and issue resolved.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #22
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
For a guy with what I would consider having mild OCD, I never trip on the squeaks and creaks cars make. I guess I just assume that moving down the road at +75 mph, stuff is always going to move around. I would expect less in a more expensive car, but I guess I just accepted it when buying a Yaris.

Having said that, ten years in and I don't find my Yaris making all that much noise. Mostly the back spare cover when going over really rough terrain, as well as little bit of bouncing from that big hard plastic dash.

There are wires wrapped in thick plastic that was rattling against metal.I ziptied that sucker and issue resolved.

Dash,doors are fixed of rattles and my utility boxes are screwed down (Back where spare tire is)Rear seat delete along with all seatbelt hardware removed.

This was the only other rattle and know the car is rattle/squeeky free besides the side power windows only when rolled down(really bumpy surfaces only).This I can totally live with and can drive annoyance free.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #23
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris cartoon rattle clunk squeak thunk click buzz clatter clink clank screech

This thread made me a cartoon picture of a fellow in a totally stripped Yaris hatch--no doors, hood, hatch, windows, interior or seats--driving along sitting on a milk crate w/ a big happy smile, captioned: "Yipee. Squeaks and rattles ALL GONE."

(Interesting that unlatching the hatch stopped the wire harness rattle.)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 07-28-2017 at 12:59 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #24
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post

Nice, glad you found the problem. Totally forgot about that high mount brakelight causing a rattle. I had the same issue years ago and just stuffed some foam in there.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post

There are wires wrapped in thick plastic that was rattling against metal. I ziptied that sucker and issue resolved.
Whodathunkit? Mystery solved. Good for you. Rattles can be annoying.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #26
Pinchlite

Quote:
Nice, glad you found the problem. Totally forgot about that high mount brakelight causing a rattle. I had the same issue years ago and just stuffed some foam in there.
I already did that to stop rattle when I bought car.

This was the wire/s that power the brakelight vibrating/bouncing and hitting metal inside.I ziptied wire harness and noise gone.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #27
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
This thread made me a cartoon picture of a fellow in a totally stripped Yaris hatch--no doors, hood, hatch, windows, interior or seats--driving along sitting on a milk crate w/ a big happy smile, captioned: "Yipee. Squeaks and rattles ALL GONE."

(Interesting that unlatching the hatch stopped the wire harness rattle.)
I Have no idea but as soon as wire was secured with ziptie that plasticky tickity sound is gone.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #28
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Whodathunkit? Mystery solved. Good for you. Rattles can be annoying.
Yesss..so much more pleasant.Its nice to drive with no stereo know and then and just hear the motor,road and wind.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #29
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I’ve been struggling to identify the rattles in the rear of my 07 hatchback. I’m glad I found this thread, as it gives me some more places to check. It’s infuriating. It’s very hard to reproduce the rattle while the car is not in motion.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #30
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
me it's the 3rd brake light plastic that started rattling so what I did is I went to my local McDonald's and bought a Great Angus Trio...made sure to KEEP the receipt because that is what I put there, no more ralltes and it's not even visible ! lol
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote