Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Shift boot question.

Hey guys, I have a question about my shift boot of my 09 Yaris liftback(With a 5 speed manual).
I recently bought a moddiction anvil shift knob for my Yaris, and so far I like it. One thing that kinda annoys me about it, is that the top of the shift boot doesn't go to the bottom of the gear knob anymore. So i'm wondering if there's a way I can raise the shift boot somehow, or do I have to buy a totally different shift boot to do that? If not, I can live with it the way it is.

Pics for reference(I apologize if some of the pics are blurry, they were taken just a minute ago and it's quite dark out. The third pic should be your best reference imo.):
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9228/img6760y.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3410/img6761z.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2679/img6762o.jpg
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
that's pretty much the way it is when you use a knob like that. The stock knob goes deep, so it reaches the top of the boot. I have an extension, so mine is worse, if that's any consolation.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Get a new one, red line shift boots, great quality leather.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
Simply make up a spacer.
This one is just a chunk of scrap Osage Orange wood that I dropped on the lathe and cut to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC5721.jpg (116.7 KB, 266 views)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
^^ Crafty!
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Thanks for the replies guys.

A spacer isn't a bad idea...

I might just leave it the way it is though, I don't HAVE to be able to fill in that gap, I simply wondered if you could.
It kinda makes me wonder if anyone has removed their shift boot and put a metal plate at the bottom of the gear shifter like in the Lamborghini Gallardo: http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/89...erior_view.jpg
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
you cooould, but that would prevent you from putting any short shifters in.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Simply make up a spacer.
This one is just a chunk of scrap Osage Orange wood that I dropped on the lathe and cut to fit.
That "Scrap" wood, as you described it, is better looking than any fake wood I've ever seen in luxury cars.

Nice!!
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
That "Scrap" wood, as you described it, is better looking than any fake wood I've ever seen in luxury cars.

Nice!!
Thanks, tk - the great thing about real wood is that it doesn't know it's scrap. The minute you start cutting, it's brand new again!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
how much would it cost to get someone to make something like this
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
SailDesign

In my case, too much. It is a fiddly little bastitch to put together, since I included a centering ring at the top.
I suspect that almost every shift knob is ging to be different, making a group buy impossible. I will see if I kept the scrap of paper with the measurements on it, though.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i see yeah just wondering cuz it looks sweet and i dont have access to a lathe but i get the idea you jsut need a small peice of nice wood and measurements
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Simply make up a spacer.
Impressed. That looks nice.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
the wood cover looks really good; I could use something like that, as mine has the same problem. I'm thinking about simply taking it out and painting it black to match the leather and knob... I think I will be adding an in cabin SSK and metal bushings sometime soon, and will take that opportunity to paint it.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

A spacer isn't a bad idea...

I might just leave it the way it is though, I don't HAVE to be able to fill in that gap, I simply wondered if you could.
It kinda makes me wonder if anyone has removed their shift boot and put a metal plate at the bottom of the gear shifter like in the Lamborghini Gallardo: http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/89...erior_view.jpg
I'd love a bootless setup... But it's not possible on the yaris. Most cars that have that have tall and deep transmission tunnels, so the linkage is elongated. The point where the console clears the shift lever is high up, meaning that the physical throw distance is long. A metal plate can fit up there. Our transmission tunnels are low and flat, almost on the floor. It's just too close to the pivot/axis to have enough travel to have clearly defined gates. You would have to build a box with an artificial floor above the shifter floor to have your metal H gate, which would look like donkey ass.