Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Yaris vs. Aveo: The Real Competitor

I believe the only true competitor to the Yaris is the Chevrolet Aveo.

****Note that I do not endorse or support the Aveo in any way****

I happened to stop at the Chevy dealer last Sunday (after they were closed ) to see the pricing of an Aveo5 hatch.

There was a loaded red hatch on the lot. The sticker was $13K.

Chevrolet boasts that the Aveo is the 'lowest priced car in the United States.' (MSRP of course)

I see from Chevrolet's site that the Aveo has MP3 Aux jack, and a sunroof available too as options.

What do you think? Is the Honda Fit not the closest competitor Toyota faces in the US market?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
What good is any option package or sticker price if you can't keep the car on the road and out of the shop? That's is Chevy's largest problem today, as it has been for at least 15 years, and why folks like myself stopped buying American cars (as Ford and Dodge aren't much better).

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
My girlfriend got a 06 Aveo LS, first of all, i'm not a Chevy Fan either. But her got everything from Keyless entry, power package except the sunroof for a around $13,000 dollars, she bought it last year.

I think her car can do better on gas mileage than my Yaris. But i really don't know how long it's will last.
Beside that. It's feel great, it's got a big room inside, we travelled alot on that car and it's feel way bettter than Yaris Sedan. Last time i took my yaris for a 400 miles drive straight, and i feel like the Yaris is about to tear apart for that long trip, but the Aveo is nothing like that.

Still this is my opinion, i'm still like my Yaris than my gf Aveo, but i'm scare to take my Yaris for a long road trip. I will definitely take AVEO for a long trip for comfort and not worry about nothing.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

I know, I cringed in fear of actually stepping onto a GM lot.

I was shaking with fear for nightmares of my 1983 Camaro experience!!!!!

That car was held together by one remaining bolt when I ditched it!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
The Aveo is not an American car. Is 100% Korean with a Chevy badge. Is actually closer to a Hyundai than to a Chevy.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
The Aveo is not an American car. Is 100% Korean with a Chevy badge. Is actually closer to a Hyundai than to a Chevy.
Are you serious? i really don't know nothing much about this at all.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Yeah, but the dealers selling and servicing it are 100% GM American!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
My GF has a 05 Aveo hatch is OK but I can tell you is no where near the Yaris.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
if you check out aveo gas mileage...its the worst small engine gas mileage car.. one of my friend has one and he is only running barely 400 km full tanks 42 liters... where yaris which is faster runs over 600 km on 42 liters...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Yeah, I think the Yaris best advantage over the Aveo is the MPG.

That, and it may hold together more than a year!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
When my yaris was is the shop for 75 days due to the wreck, I had a 06 chevy aveo for 60 straight days. It wasn't as equipped (AM/FM, auto, A/C, rear wiper & defroster) as my yaris, but as far as gas, it did worse than my yaris, it had considerably less passing & hill climbing power, and I hated its auto transmission. I can get my auto to shift how I want it to, but the aveo felt like it crap. The very few times I tried to take corners as fast as I could in my yaris I almost went off the road. I hated the "faux" carbon fibre door handles on the inside. Every time you closed the door you felt like it was going to fall off. I also hated how the drivers door locked. You had to lock it with the key if the door was open (i like to lock my door when I get out of the car). Even though it was a 4-door hatch, there was more cargo room, and it did have 60/40 split rear seats. But honestly, I hated every minute of being in that car. As for road trips, my yaris is way more comfortable. Over thanksgiving weekend I took it to So-Cal (1,000 mile one way) and had zero issues. And the kicker is I used about 2 tanks of gas. My old astro van would use about the same amount in 400 miles. The aveo felt cheap, drove cheap, and I do quite a bit of in-town driving (deliveries) and used up considerably more gas. There was one small plus I guess besides more room behind the 60/40 seats, a RPM gage. BUT, it was WAY better on gas, handling, comfort than the 04 kia rio I had first for 2 weeks, lol.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
When my yaris was is the shop for 75 days due to the wreck, I had a chevy aveo for 60 straight days. It wasn't as equipped (AM/FM, auto, A/C, rear wiper & defroster) as my yaris, but as far as gas, it did worse than my yaris, it had considerably less passing & hill climbing power, and I hated its auto transmission. I can get my auto to shift how I want it to, but the aveo felt like it crap. The very few times I tried to take corners as fast as I could in my yaris I almost went off the road. I hated the "faux" carbon fibre door handles on the inside. Every time you closed the door you felt like it was going to fall off. I also hated how the drivers door locked. You had to lock it with the key if the door was opened. Even though it was a 4-door hatch, there was more cargo room, and it did have 60/40 split rear seats. But honestly, I hated every minute of being in that car. As for road trips, my yaris is way more comfortable. Over thanksgiving weekend I took it to So-Cal (1,000 mile one way) and had zero issues. And the kicker is I used about 2 tanks of gas. My old astro van would use about the same amount in 400 miles. The aveo felt cheap, drove cheap, and I do quite a bit of in-town driving (deliveries) and used up considerably more gas. There was one small plus I guess besides more room behind the 60/40 seats, a RPM gage. BUT, it was WAY better on gas, handling, comfort than the 04 kia rio I had first for 2 weeks, lol.
Hey dont knock that fake carbon fibre. It will look REAL GOOD in the 08 Dale Earnhardt limited edition Aveo sedan!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Yeah, but the dealers selling and servicing it are 100% GM American!
You idiot Anti-American jerk...so are the mechanics that service Toyotas, Honda's and any make here in the US....If you don't like America or Americans' go back to the hole you were crapped out of!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #14
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
If you don't like America or Americans' go back to the hole you were crapped out of!
Um, that would be the United States of America...gee, let me guess, you idolize George W Bush and im a communist, do i have that right

Is someone named 'PAVEL OLAVICH' calling me Anti-American? Does anyone see the irony here??
Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
You idiot Anti-American jerk...so are the mechanics that service Toyotas, Honda's and any make here in the US....If you don't like America or Americans' go back to the hole you were crapped out of!
where did this come from?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Nice.. another thread gone to shit.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Yup, it's a Daewoo.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
WTF?

May I ask what warranted that response? I don't see anything anti-American about it- I think it was more along the lines of, "this is how domestic car companies pull the wool over Americans' eyes."

:cough:anapologywouldbenice:cough:
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote