Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
dexterwang

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yaris wheel and vibrations

Hi guys, I just got a new 2010 yaris sedan and I am loving it, but there's a couple of small problems that I don't know if its normal or not. I really don't know much about cars

To drive straight, I need to turn the wheel just slightly to the right, around a couple of degrees or so. I checked the tire pressure and it was fine. At high speeds there isn't any strange vibrations or anything so I think the alignment is okay. Is this normal? Or should I take it in to be looked at.

Another small gripe is that when I stop at the stop light, I can feel the engine vibrating through my seats and steering wheel. Sometimes its stronger sometimes its not as bad, and as soon as I accelerate, the vibration is gone. I know all cars vibrate somewhat, but its a lot stronger than I am used to. Is this normal to Yarises?

Thanks for any help! Other than this, I love my new yaris!
dexterwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Bad alignment doesn't always cause vibration, eg camber/caster. Vibration in the seats? That sounds excessive, but some people are more sensitive than others, so I can't say. Best to have a mechanic/car guru/technician/dealer look at that.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I had a similar issue with the steering wheel being slightly off center/having to hold constant left, after I drove off the road in seasons first snowfall... Getting an alignment completely resolved the issue.

Vibrations at idle is... excessive but normal.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I don't have either of those issues.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Mine has pulled to the left since I bought it but I've chosen to ignore it for now since my plan is to lower the car in the near future. Tires aren't showing any accelerated or weird wear patterns so I am not concerned...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Both issues are normal. As stated above, you can do an alignment for the drifting but I wouldn't bother unless it gets considerably worse. As for the vibrations, they are normal for the Yaris.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
djct_watt

I've only noticed a very slight vibration when the A/C clutch engages. Man, either you guys are all supersensitive (or I'm not sensitive at all) or you guys got a bad batch. I can barely tell my car is running when it's on and idling. Maybe it's automatic tranny thing (I've got a 5spd). I dunno. I can definitely say that's not the case for many other cars I've been (friends' pick-ups, ie hilux, mitsu, nissan, also some older Corolla's, Nissan Sunny). At idle, the Yaris is nearly as smooth as my old Lexus V8. Rev it up and it's a completely different story.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We have the vibration for the '08 sedan and '10 3 door with the auto tranny . The vibration is stronger for the '08 sedan when stopped for red light or idling . Seems to be a little stronger since the head cylinder gasket replacement . Took it to a TOYO service center due to the rough idle after the H.C.G. replacement . The spark plugs were checked under warranty and tech showed them to us . Looked to be in good condition . He stated it's normal for the V.V.T.I. . We wanted them replaced under warranty , but were denied . Still shakes to the point you can feel it through the seats . Does help with relieving some stress from drivers fatigue . .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
dexterwang

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Thanks for the tips guys :) Yaris world rocks! The vibrations I'm getting used to, its not too bad. I guess its standard on all automatics.

Do you guys know if the alignment would be covered under warranty? The tilt is very slight and I don't want to spent lots of money fixing it.
dexterwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
djct_watt

I forget what it's called, but this can be adjusted with an alignment too (or it's supposed to be). It's something like dead zero, or heck. . . I wish my memory was better. Basically steering wheels are just bolted onto a steering column. You could attach the wheel upside down or rotate it 90degrees if you so wanted. But so long as your alignment is good and your frame isn't crooked, you COULD just adjust that. Should be just a few bolts behind the airbag. . . then again I haven't done this on a Yaris, so I wouldn't know for sure, but it was definitely the case with my other cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
Yaristeve

If the car tracks straight but the steering wheel is cocked then it could be the steering wheel is mis-aligned. It could also be the rack was not centered. If the car actually pulls one way or another, your alignment is probably off, usually the caster.

Having said all that, it should be covered under warranty. Take it to your dealer if it bothers you.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
vst

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan x 2
Alignments are covered under the bumper to bumper? Really? Anyone had an alignment done under the bumper to bumper?
vst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I paid $75 at pep boys. They showed me a computer print of before and after. Spark plugs are only $30. Why bother with the dealership...

Also, the vibrations went away for me with a spark plug change. At idle, I can't tell if the engine is running without testing the pedal.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
Alignments are covered under the bumper to bumper? Really? Anyone had an alignment done under the bumper to bumper?
I did a long time ago. This is the first Toyota I've bought in a while that had alignment issues.

Since you only bought the car a few days ago, just take it back to the dealer. It really falls under "dealer good will to keep the customer happy" than under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If you wait too long, they may say it is not covered...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
My auto vibrates some when I'm stopped and in drive, in which case the engine is under load. When I pop it into N it's ultra smooth.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #16
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
I get more vibration than any of you cause im a ricer

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
07 flint mica

Drives: 07 sedan.04 2500hd,10 mazda3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
alignments can be covered within 1 year or 12,000 miles unless dammage is present. Press you're service department, they will comply
07 flint mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
jimhimbo

Drives: 08 Blue yaris liftback
I have the same problem with my yaris, it's an 08 liftback 5 speed, no mods except kn drop in filter, i did however install a weapon r intake (dragon) and had to take it out because there was a gap in the throttle body silicone piece, so i ordered a new silicone coupler to fix that, and cut the intake itself down slightly for better fit, but once i put the stock air box back in, vibrations seem worse/more noticible than ever before, in the seats, steering wheel etc. sometimes not so bad, ALWAYS at idle if at all. Hope i didnt mess up my MAF sensor swapping parts, but i didnt drop it. thought about getting a torque damper to help with vibrations, dont know if it will help though. Plan on getting a new intake actually, such as KN or Simota carbon charger. Possible exhaust but i would like the vibrations to go away!
jimhimbo is offline   Reply With Quote