Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
New owner questions 2009-5dr-5spd

Hey guys,

Picked up a new to me Yaris. Other than the Red colour, it's pretty much what I was looking for. 2009, 5spd, manual windows, power locks. It is a rebuild, but I know what to look for and the price was right. My goal is just a long term daily driver (I am building a 1700lb 300hp car for the fun driving), that I can put up with.

Some questions for fellow owners if you don't mind:
-Reverse is fairly noisy. Not grinding, but the gears are pretty loud. Makes a honda look quiet. Normal?
-shifter bushings- needs them. Where is the best buy to stiffen that up? I don't think I want a short shifter, just less slop.
-Haven't driven it much yet but it sure feels like it could use a rear sway bar. Is this the first cornering mod?
- I corner pretty hard..... any suggestions to alignment specs? -1degree? more? I am not used to FWD cars.

Also, if anyone with an 09 5spd has underhood pics I would like to see them. Especially around the intake/airbox area. I'd like to see how different mine is from the repairs.

Thanks guys. This forum looks great so far (already helped me find the jack heh).
Cheers,
Cory
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I can help a little bit:

Reverse to me does sound like a honda reverse also. I come from a honda family and I know what you mean. Its a very loud sound when the rpms get higher.. i believe this is normal BUT, being your car is a rebuild, I would test drive another yaris at a dealership and compare yourself.

MicroImageOnline.com is a great place to buy yaris parts. Cali Yaris runs that show and he can help you find whatever you want at great prices.
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Mic...MI-cab-001.htm
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Mic...-MI-cbk001.htm
I have these in my car as well.

If you are using stock suspension, then yes, the rear sway bar is a huge improvement with cornering. Most would say this is one of those things the yaris should have came with but its prob why the yaris is so cheap too...
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Bracing-Bars_c22.htm

Dialing in your camber is more of a personal feel. I would get the camber bolts and use the string/weight method to adjust your camber. I have -2.5 but I autocross every month. Its up to you though.
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Miscellaneous_c23.htm

As for pics, check out this forum thread. Page 6 has some good full engine bay shots you can look thru.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...?t=9717&page=6

I would so as much searching as you can the next couple weeks. Look thru all the stickies on Yarisworld. Look at all the stuff MicroImage offers. If you have questions, I suggest to do a search really quick cuz its probably ready been asked. But if you ask we will more then happy to help you with your new toy.

Congrats on your buy, and welcome to yarisworld
Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Congrats on your new ride!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The reverse gears are straight cut and yes, they are very loud. I have both the engine bay SSK and bushings, and after a week of daily use I'm really enjoying them. The NST lite crank pulley is also a really good entry level mod.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
CoryM

Thanks guys. Great info Derrick.

I'll be ordering shifter bushings, sway bar and maybe a ssk tonight. Might actually extend the shifter as it's a bit low for me so would need the ssk...

I had a good look at my car today on the hoist and I am happy with what I saw. The crash was a front end hit, but above the bumper. So it wiped out the bumper cover, rad, condensor, tie bar, fenders, headlights and hood.... enough to write off a yaris None of the structural was moved at all and airbags did not deploy. I am happy and think I did fairly well on my purchase; 09 with 37000km for $8k. The only surprise I saw today was a rim is bent so I will be replacing it ( I'm a mechanic at a tire store so I can probably handle that ).

Also thinking the wheels from my project car should bolt onto the yaris. They are 205/50r15 Toyo RA1 on some 15x6.5 35mm Motegi RT5. Will try that another day. If they fit it's just one more excuse to autoX the yaris....

The noisy reverse is a little odd in that it is loud when you first load it, then gets quieter. Makes it seem like there is some slop but it's probably normal. We will find out I guess.

Didn't get a chance to check the alignment today, but I'll probably throw some camber bolts in and start with -1.5degrees and see what happens. I did clean the interior and serviced/adjusted the rear brakes. Feels so much better now.

Newest things:
-Can you get rid of the engine revving during shifts? When you release the clutch the ECU gives a blip of throttle. I assume its programmed to do that to make shifting easier but it seriously annoys me. Makes me feel like I can't shift heh.
-I really need to learn how to drive a fwd around a corner

Thanks again guys.

Cory

PS: uploaded the pics from the ad. Haven't had time to take any.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
ilikerice

those tires are perfect for autox. and will keep you in H stock class. BUT the rear sway bar will put you in a street prepared class in SCCA. just dont tell them about your mods . If they do start looking and ask about that rear bar in the back, just be like, "come on... its a yaris, really" they may cut you some slack.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
those tires are perfect for autox. and will keep you in H stock class. BUT the rear sway bar will put you in a street prepared class in SCCA. just dont tell them about your mods . If they do start looking and ask about that rear bar in the back, just be like, "come on... its a yaris, really" they may cut you some slack.
Good point on the bar. I don't think I am going to worry too much about classes as:
-I am terrible in a FWD.... seriously. Fooled around a little today and I couldn't get the car to do anything right. There is no way I would be competitive enough to worry about classes
-I can always take if off once I am used to the car (and showing promise for H stock)
-I have the feeling a civic SI hatch would walk all over a yaris in H-stock??
-The real autoX car is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH4HP5Oyp84

I test fit one of the 205/50r15 today. Good fit and lots of room. If monday is dry I might throw the set on and see how it feels. I'll take some pics as it looks pretty good. Then again, anything looks better with good rubber on it....

Cheers.
Cory
PS: I guess the 6.5" wide rims would kick me out of H-stock too
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
hey Cory. The blip after you clutch in is from the delay in the electronic throttle.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Good point on the bar. I don't think I am going to worry too much about classes as:
-I am terrible in a FWD.... seriously. Fooled around a little today and I couldn't get the car to do anything right. There is no way I would be competitive enough to worry about classes
-I can always take if off once I am used to the car (and showing promise for H stock)

I test fit one of the 205/50r15 today. Good fit and lots of room. If monday is dry I might throw the set on and see how it feels. I'll take some pics as it looks pretty good. Then again, anything looks better with good rubber on it....

Cheers.
Cory
Put a set of Coilovers on and a rear sway with some 15x7's and you will ask yourself if your really driving a Yaris..... H-stock the Yaris and fit do very well with minimal mods!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post

Cheers.
Cory
yea, 6.5 will throw you in ST class which is a much more fun class. Coilovers will keep you in ST class also. thats the class I like running in. Depending on the year. I think the only SI in H stock now is the EF 88-91 civic/crx si's. BUT YES, those bastards handle like a champ.. and they usually are champs depending on the driver.

Newbies to the FWD is a whole different ball game. Autox is all about fun. Its good your going in not caring about class, cuz then you can actually enjoy yourself. Try to take pics and video of your next autox. remember, go slow to go fast.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
CoryM

Well, I'm signed up for autoX on Sunday. A little sooner than I would like as I have really no seat time in the car yet even just driving around. I've maybe put on 100KM of city driving since I got the car. eesh. Won't have time to do anything to the car so totally stock with garbage tires it is. I seriously hope it doesn't rain.... it's going to ugly enough in the dry.
Thanks for the input so far guys.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
mods

My first two mod's;
Short throw shifter;
the stock throws are both rediculously long and extremely sloppy. Shortening the throws helped huge. I now use both the shift linkage piece and the in-cabin (below console lever extension) to greatly reduce the throws. No bushings changes though. I don't need the buzzing noise.

Rear Anti-Sway Bar;
No Yaris should be without one. It totally transforms the vehicle from an unstable, rolly-polly grannymobile to a tight, flat-cornering, cross-wind capable ride.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
ilikerice

personally, If you plan on having real fun with autox. save your money and get some good coil overs, or springs and shocks. then some really good tires. falken azenis 615K or hankook RS-3.

Short shifter is nice, but in autox, you basicly throw it in second gear and leave it there. Rarely ever see 3rd. and shift to first in corners is just wasting momentum.

Sway bar is good, But Id get the suspension first before that. U can get that sway bar anytime and its a breeze to install
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #15
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
personally, If you plan on having real fun with autox. save your money and get some good coil overs, or springs and shocks. then some really good tires. falken azenis 615K or hankook RS-3.

Short shifter is nice, but in autox, you basicly throw it in second gear and leave it there. Rarely ever see 3rd. and shift to first in corners is just wasting momentum.

Sway bar is good, But Id get the suspension first before that. U can get that sway bar anytime and its a breeze to install
Not sure if that was aimed at me? The Yaris is just my daily driver. Shocks et al won't get replaced until they wear out. The autoX car is the 1700lb rwd with way more engine than it needs. The Yaris will just get things to make it more pleasant to drive around (thinking about getting that center armrest.... sad huh?)

That being said..... with me only having a chance to put 150KM (90mi?) of boring city driving on the car, and never owning a FWD before, I flogged the snot out of the Yaris at autoX on Sunday

It was about as ugly as you would expect but I am happy enough with how it went. The car did better than I expected, I learned a lot about FWD handling, and I flat out had fun. Great day.

I won't be putting a rear bar on as the car will turn in nicely with a bit of trail-braking. The tires were definitely the limiting factor (after the driver) but I was expecting that. The only thing that is Yaris specific that I didn't like was I couldn't get it to stay planted on the last couple gates. It tried to snap on me every time. Other people were just getting off the throttle to transfer weight to the front, steering, then back on the gas. I was having to hit the brakes to slow it down. I don't know how much was me, and how much was the car flopping around. Could be the tires just didn't have it in them either. I managed a pretty wild spin and got stopped it about 5ft from the timing gear.... a little closer than I would have liked.

FWD specific things I really need to work on:
-Trail braking.... lots of it.
-you have to turn into the corner too tight, then let off. Haven't figured out the physics why yet but it's not something I'm used to.
-timing the throttle and steering inputs. With the front tires doing both jobs there really isn't much room for error.

Anyhow, no pics of vids of my car unless someone else posts them. Heres a vid of a modded 91 civic HB doing the course. The last 2 gate are where the Yaris was snapping if anyone has advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jH2T...layer_embedded

Cheers.

Cory
Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
ilikerice

nice video.. yea, lane changes like that are always tricky with any car.. gotta use throttle control to your advantage. Back end tends to let go a bit.

I originally thought you were going to use the yaris for a fun car. I didnt realize you had a weekend car already. In that case, enjoy the yaris, It has its moments. I got autox next weekend. I will try to get a good video. only thing I have issues with is wheel spin when exiting a turn.. need LSD so bad
Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #17
CoryM

I will probably autoX the Yaris pretty often this winter (slush series). Hopefully have the fast car done for next summer season.

Attached a couple pics of the Yaris on course. Also did an alignment. I was pretty sure driving home that my toe had changed during autoX. Put it out of mind as nothing. When I did the alignment the right tierod jam nut wasn't very tight. Glad I checked.
Anyhow, set the car to -0.92degrees camber (the most I can while staying in stock class) and it feels so much better. Also amazed at the fuel mileage (unless the gauge drops quick after 1/2 tank that is). Taking it for a short road trip this weekend so will find out.

Cheers.
Cory
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Nice! Is that mission speedway? Looks like Mt. Seymour in the back.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote