Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Question Where can I get cheap but good quality wiring and a box for an amp/sub?

I have basically been given a 1000 watt, dual coil sub, and 1000 watt amp, so I am going to install it in my car. The only thing I really need is the power/trigger/grounding cables, the RCA cables, and a correct size 10" box. I think, since I do plan on a better system in the future, and I will have to half disassemble the interior anyways, that I don't want to skimp on the wiring. I don't want to get ripped off either.

What my ultimate question is:
Where can I get some good quality wiring and a box cheaply? I know bulk spools of wire are cheaper by the foot, but I don't need 200 feet of wire, when I only want to do my own car. Any body have any ideas?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
What type of amp is it and what type of sub, the reason i ask is if it's truly a 1000 watt amp then you may need to go with thicker Power wire and ground, also we need to compare it to the subwoofer, and know if your sub is power hungry such as a Kicker L7. I just picked up a 0 gauge amp kit for 54 bucks, i'll find out the quality of it when i get it in within the next week. The brand subwoofer and model will also help us point you in the right direction due to airspace requirements and if you want to go ported or sealed on the box, and what type of music do you listen to...do you want tight punchy bass or Just loud get crunk Lil Jon and the eastside boys style bass.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

ah lets see.. its a Pyle Blue Wave PL1090BL speaker and a Kole Audio KX2-1920 (i guess its 1920 watts) I'm not sure how good of a setup this is, but I would like to do the wiring right for any future setup I want to install, if this setup isn't up to par. As far as the type of music I like, I'm pretty eclectic, so I like all types of music, but I guess I like punchy bass best.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
that sub is maybe 350-450 rms but I wouldnt get pushy, that amp is rated at 880rms bridged and at least has the fusing to back it up though you can expect maybe 600 out of it.

You can easily use a 4ga amp kit and be good to go.

Since Im fond of Knu here is a solid amp kit for a great price.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KOL-AK4

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
yeah, go to a welding supply store and pick up 4awg cable there. It'll save you a lot of money. get like 30ft of it, use as much as you need for your power cable, then use a foot for your ground cable, then use the rest to upgrade you battery ground, chasis ground, and alt to bat cable. Then you just have to pick up a fuse holder and you are set.

or... you could just pick up around 20feet of 4awg and forget upgrading the big 3 under the hood.

If you are going to buy a box, just go with a sealed box, then go around the edges (especially around the binding posts) and make sure there is caulking around it to keep it air tight, if there isn't caulk, then pick up a tube at home depot and get messy with it... CAULK FROM THE INSIDE OF THE BOX ONLY! Generally speaking, pre-built, store bought boxes are trash, but a sealed box will be much better than the ported or bandpass boxes you could buy at a store. Get the cheapest RCA's you can find, I wouldn't spend more than $10 on them if you can. People will spend hundreds on fancy RCA cables, and honestly, for 99% of noise issues in stereos... IT DOESN'T MATTER... so, buy the cheap stuff first, if you have weird noise issues... THEN, as a last resort you can go out and buy the $50 cables.

oh yeah... he was right about the sub being more like a 300w sub.... unless the sub has a 3" voice coil (yours has 2") its not even going to be close to 1000w.

a 1-1.5" coil is usually good up to around 150rms
2" might be able to get 300 or 400
2.5" might be able to get up to 600-800
3" can get upwards of 2000

we are of course talking RMS values here as they are the only kind that matter.

You might also consider buying some pillow stuffing (polyfil) and throwing in a few handfuls of that into the box (if you buy a sealed box)... it should help the sub play slightly lower, and slightly louder (tho, you probably won't be able to tell much, if at all).

Last edited by talnlnky; 03-10-2010 at 08:39 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
that sub is maybe 350-450 rms but I wouldnt get pushy, that amp is rated at 880rms bridged and at least has the fusing to back it up though you can expect maybe 600 out of it.

You can easily use a 4ga amp kit and be good to go.

Since Im fond of Knu here is a solid amp kit for a great price.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KOL-AK4
$43... woof and that without a box... I know if I plan on a better system in the future, I need to set it up right, but my original pie-in-the-sky hope was to get the box and wires for like $50 total... maybe I'll use the crappy box it came with (it's made for 2 subs, but only one was in it) I guess I need to find some friends with some left over cable lol Any one else have any ideas?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
yeah, go to a welding supply store and pick up 4awg cable there. It'll save you a lot of money. get like 30ft of it, use as much as you need for your power cable, then use a foot for your ground cable, then use the rest to upgrade you battery ground, chasis ground, and alt to bat cable. Then you just have to pick up a fuse holder and you are set.

or... you could just pick up around 20feet of 4awg and forget upgrading the big 3 under the hood.

If you are going to buy a box, just go with a sealed box, then go around the edges (especially around the binding posts) and make sure there is caulking around it to keep it air tight, if there isn't caulk, then pick up a tube at home depot and get messy with it... CAULK FROM THE INSIDE OF THE BOX ONLY! Generally speaking, pre-built, store bought boxes are trash, but a sealed box will be much better than the ported or bandpass boxes you could buy at a store.
hmmm using the additional for grounding is not a bad idea, either... I hadn't thought of that... wonder how much the cable would cost from there...

Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

welding cable is seriously cheap, although knu does have a $26 4ga amp kit for slightly less current loads (which is of course fine)

either way...

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Kole Audio i believe runs along with Power Acoustik and Spl Audio, They pretty much use the same circuit boards with different cases. That'll probably be the last amp you need to buy, it'll hold pretty much any pair of budget speakers you can put on it. You can probably get a set of 1200 watt Spl audio subs or Power Acoustiks later on for under or right at 100 bucks. Dude craigslist a sealed box if you're on a budget, i've found some on there for 15 -25 bucks. You probably don't need more than 1.5 of airspace for that pyle. I remember i used to snap the wires that run from the connection to the coil on the budget Q power subs cause i had to big of a box. But for 20 bucks a sub they made some noise.

Here's some power acoustik's.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik...8273621&sr=8-1

craigslist in Indianapolis http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1631899812.html

Amp kit 24 bucks Audio pipe it's an okay brand....Flea market brand but it'll get the job done. Just check the fuse on your amp isn't bigger than 80 Amps or it'll pop the fuse that comes with this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Ga-GAUGE-WIRE-...item518db4ff6a

Idk where exactly you live but i just searched indianapolis craig's and pulled up them pyles ina box for 25.... so there's your 50 Dollar system.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 03-10-2010 at 09:43 PM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
You can find a good 4ga amp wiring kit AND a great quality CHEAP box at:

www.sonicelectronix.com

You can't beat the price on boxes, and they are actually really nice boxes.
I buy all my car audio gear from them.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
I have THIS box, and it is SWEET.

$29 with FREE shipping ???

I don't know how they sell these so cheap.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...K+CARPET-.html
Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
arunto

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
i'd go with knukonceptz kit...you'll have everything you'll need.
arunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
$50 for all the wires & a box is a bit of a dream unless you are making the box yourself (and have the wood laying around) or you buy used stuff.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

you wont quite make 50 bucks but pretty close if you get the 26 dollar kit and then this, not too bad of a box for what youll be using it for, they even caulked it all nice like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Inch-Sealed-S...item3a5810aad0

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

I made a new thread detailing my ghetto system with pics here Going to put pics of it installed/getting installed if/when it gets installed

Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunto View Post
i'd go with knukonceptz kit...you'll have everything you'll need.

I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I was with my purchase from that company...just f'in awesome really.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #17
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Knu wire kits are great,last a long time,as for boxes try local shops,they always have clearance boxes for dirt cheap,at least where i live they do.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote