Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Question Camcorder help?

I went on vacation recently and took some video on my DXG-566V HD camcorder. The footage is perfect on the camcorder, but when I transfer them to my computer the sound plays but I get a blank screen (black). I've tried using both the USB cord and SD card. I searched Google all day and got nowhere. Anyone here know what's wrong?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
According to the owner's manual (first thing that popped up when I googled "DXG-566V", convenient!) it records video as H.264 (MOV).

I'm presuming 2 things: you're running Windows, and when you try to open the videos the default player is either Windows Media Player or QuickTime.

You might want to make sure that QuickTime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/) is up-to-date if you have it on your system and try to open the files with that.

If that doesn't work VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html) is a pretty neat all-in-one media player that can handle just about any format you throw at it.

Good luck! :-)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Possibly a video codec issues? I had something similar happen to me. I just updated my video codecs and it worked fine.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

VLC did the job. Thanks!

One more thing, I have access to Mac's at school. Which program do you suggest I experiment with to create a movie with the video clips without having this same issue again? I have a very busy schedule and only have a few hours free this week to do this project, otherwise it collects dust in the corner for the next 3 months. We get access to the entire Adobe Master Collection CS5 suite and Quicktime Pro.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I can't help with the editing software, but have used a video converter as well as VLC.
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
Freemake video converter has worked pretty well for some videos I used.

Seems like many use Final Cut Pro on Macs.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Yeah It looks like I will have to convert it first seeing as how every single editing program I've tried is also giving me a blank screen. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
VLC did the job. Thanks!
Glad that it worked out! Good luck on the little video montage that you are trying to make. (I have no clue how to do that!)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
My DXG camera came with Arc Soft Total Media extreme, i use that to convert to something windows movie maker can work with and then edit.

Virtual Dub might be able to convert it as well if you can get the codec, i haven't used it in a while so i can't recall what open source stuff comes with it.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote