Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Is a cat delete midpipe stinky and loud?

I've done a lot of reading on here and I'm thinking about doing a megan header, nitto mid pipe and nitto axel-back from MI (along with some MI springs and sway bar, light crank, and afe intake). I'm a little concerned about the cat delete on the mid pipe. I've done some searching and read some threads on here and it seems that there can be some bad (sulfur like) smells as well as a louder exhaust both due to the cat delete.

I'd like to give my car the benefits of a more freely breathing system but I'd also like to balance that out with a comfortable driving experience since this is my daily driver.

Are there better header back systems out there that aren't too expensive for a dad with two mouths to feed? :)
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
loud.. yes.. stinky, no... that sulfer smell is when the cats go bad.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
Shinare, you could do what thebarber did and have a 2.25" resonator to axle back. Here is the link to MicroImage forums if you haven't seen the thread.

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...MMMMMMMMidpipe

I am planning to do this just before installing a turbo. Hopefully, it'll be soon when MicroImage release a kit in a few weeks.
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
i dont know about the yaris, but i have a crx with a B20/Vtec engine with 4-2-1 headers connecting to a 2.25 mid pipe w/ 3 resonators then a tanabe axle back exhaust. before the headers i ran a t3/t4 turbo w/o resonators. sounded AWESOME like a subaru. but then i sold the turbo setup and went n/a. i would say the exhaust sounds way too loud with that ricey scream. so i added the 3 resonators in the midpipes. honestly i am still annoyed by the loudness of the 2.25 exhaust and i do miss the deep rumble of the turbo. resonators do help, but not enough in my opinion. again. that was a 2.0L, im not sure about the 1nz. id see if youtube has any audio clips of that.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
loud.. yes.. stinky, no... that sulfer smell is when the cats go bad.
When a cat goes bad, its overheated from excess fuel running through and burns off everything inside it which makes it hollow. Taking the cat out would be pretty much the same thing.

Ive read through a couple other threads about guys doing a cat delete and their car having that smell after
Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
not loud, but you will smell eggs or unburnt gas...depending on enrichment.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote