Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
^&%$* dealer "complimentary" wash...

Unfortunately for this picture, my paint reflects my garage's crappy drywall pretty darn well. There are no horizontal seams in the reflected wall.

After having my new Yaris for two weeks for a repair, my dealer scratches my car's paint. I admit that I failed to specify "no wash" before pickup.

Fortunately, the scratch(es) weren't that deep. I had a pretty scary looking one down the side and several on the top of the rear bumper cover. There was NO WAY I was going to let the dealer "fix it" (ie go after the scratch with a buffer) - they'd probably take off all the clearcoat.

Several passes with some Scratch-X followed by some cleaner wax has fixed the problem. Fortunately, I didn't have to go too deep into the clear. Man, the Yaris really does have delicate paint!

Sorry, just venting a bit...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)

Last edited by Goose; 06-23-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
you can buff that with mguires scratch X...its not that bad itll just take about 10 minutes of buffing though..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Their fault; therefore, they have the responsibility to repair/repaint it. If they refuse, file a complaint with the BBB against that particular dealership.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
marcus
toyota

theyre not gonna repaint that.. itll be buffed.. ive seen the chemical they have for buffing..stronger than scratchX.. so less buffing for them.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the sympathy, guys.

Marcus, you're right on the Scratch-X; it took a little effort, but it worked perfectly.

The last thing I wanted was to have the dealer take a buffer and strong compound to the (admittedly minor) scratch. Somebody that scratches paint is not to be trusted with its repair.

In the end, it all worked out - although it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
marcus
toyota

great..good to hear i took alot of minor scratch with scratch x.. i wish they can make scratch x a little stronger though..

oh yah after scratch x let it cure..b4 u wash the car..let the clear coat dry out..
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

oh, hahaha, I guess I thought that the scratch was deeper than I thought. Also, the company that my dealership assigned to install power doorlocks/windows on my sedan scratched my front bumper. I demanded that they repaint it, and denied me. So I filed a complaint to the BBB. They sent a mobile repainter to my house, and was repainted.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
great..good to hear i took alot of minor scratch with scratch x.. i wish they can make scratch x a little stronger though..

oh yah after scratch x let it cure..b4 u wash the car..let the clear coat dry out..
Scratch X 2.0, a bit stronger than the original. Meguiar's also has stronger products out there.