Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Polishing steps for overspray from the body shop

If I were blind I could tell where the body shop painted my car just by the bumby feel. The color match and shine is good so I don't want to go and screw it up. No was a clay bar is going to remove this over sray.

I think it is going to have to be wetsanded with 2000m grit then polished. Thats where I get lost, over on Autotopia there are so many different schemes for polishing I can't keep them straight.

In my aresnal I have:

Chemical Guys Blue Elastic Clay Bar
Dewalt polisher (I am terrible at leaving swirl marks withis hing)
6.5 in wool pad for theDewalt
Porter Cable Random Orbial)
Pinnacle #4 polish
Pinnacle #1 Polish
Orange, White, Nad Black LK 6.5" pads
Klasse AIO
Klass SW soom to be replaced with Colinite 476
Various Caranuba astes.

What procedure would you use to get rid of the clear overspray and have my car as smooth as glass?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I'd like to know this too, since the ass that did my lip kit and spoiler left the same crap.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Take it back to the shop and they usually fix it for free.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Well the body shop is a 2 hr drive there and 2 hr back, I figured I could make this part of jeweling the whole car with the overprayed areas treated different.

Last edited by regal; 08-15-2009 at 02:33 AM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
To get rid of the overspray on my car, I hit it lightly with 2000 grit lubed up with soapy water, then cut it with Farecla G3 and a powered polisher.
It took the best part of a whole weekend to do and was NOT fun.
(This was on the clear coat).
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
If I were blind I could tell where the body shop painted my car just by the bumby feel. The color match and shine is good so I don't want to go and screw it up. No was a clay bar is going to remove this over sray. I think it is going to have to be wetsanded with 2000m grit then polished. Thats where I get lost, over on Autotopia there are so many different schemes for polishing I can't keep them straight.In my aresnal I have:Chemical Guys Blue Elastic Clay Bar
Dewalt polisher (I am terrible at leaving swirl marks withis hing)
6.5 in wool pad for theDewalt
Porter Cable Random Orbial)
Pinnacle #4 polish
Pinnacle #1 Polish
Orange, White, Nad Black LK 6.5" pads
Klasse AIO
Klass SW soom to be replaced with Colinite 476
Various Caranuba astes.

What procedure would you use to get rid of the clear overspray and have my car as smooth as glass?
Let a professional shop paint your car and if it comes out as you say, don't pay them until it is done right. Also I would never use a power polisher on my paint. I find Toyota Paint looks good but is thin ...Just use Elbow Grease...try Nu Finish....easy to apply shines nicely and lasts they say for a year but I do mine every three months...for protection
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
An aggressive clay bar will pull the overspray off the car. But it also depends on how much obverspray there is. If it just feels rough, then the claybar will work fine. The aggressive clay will leave light scratch's in the paint, so you will want to go over the areas you clay with a mild polish on the porter cable.

In the process of basically doing this to 37 cars that got some overspray from foam insulation at a business next to theirs. So. It should work fine.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Hey Regal, I think I may have found your solution. Now, the lip kit I just had painted felt like 2000 grit sandpaper all around, and that's not an exaggeration. After losing my patience with just using paste wax, I decided to try something new. I went out and bought Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (G17216) and a new clay bar by Mother's. I spent like two hours last night going over each lip and skirt with three cycles of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Meguiar's Scratch-X (which I already had laying around), Mother's, wash, repeat and now they all feel super smooth. It took a while and cost me $24 after tax and whatnot, but damn what a difference! I recommend trying this before wet sanding and all of that. Let me know how it works for you.

Last edited by mrbond; 08-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote