Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
BassAssassin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5MT
Cracked Front Bumper

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and I need some help. I just bought a 2008 Yaris sedan. Unfortunately, over the weekend I hit a good sized dog. Luckily, the dog kind of bounced off the front bumper and ran away seemingly unharmed. The problem is, my front bumper now has 2 small cracks in it, one on the very bottom lip and one just to the side of that. There are no dents and the paint is not damaged. Is there anything that can be done to repair this, maybe some kind of epoxy to fuse the cracks together? I'm hoping to avoid buying a new front bumper.

Thanks,
Ryan
BassAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Post some pictures. But from the sounds of it you could pull the bumper off, fiberglass patch the back, and bondo the cracks, sand and paint. You could go the epoxy route, but that will crack the first time you bump something.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
BassAssassin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5MT
Sorry, I didn't take pics. I decided to have the dealer's body shop look at it. They told me I needed a new front bumper. Originally, they had quoted $800 for the whole job! But, after much haggling I got them down to $300. Do you think this sounds like a decent price for a new front bumper plus paint and installation?
BassAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Thats cheap!!! go for it

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Type X

Drives: Scion Xb
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Post some pictures. But from the sounds of it you could pull the bumper off, fiberglass patch the back, and bondo the cracks, sand and paint. You could go the epoxy route, but that will crack the first time you bump something.

what he said is correct, you just need to watch that the bumper doesn't have extreme flexing so you dont put too much stress on the fiberglass patching.
Type X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, cracked bumper, front bumper