Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Cool, thanks! I'm off to O'Reilly's to buy some (and some gloves!)...

Cheers! M2
did ya get it???
Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lynn View Post
did ya get it???
Forgot I had a dentist's appointment yesterday and had to rush to make it, so not yet.

It'll probably be this weekend...

Cheers! M2
Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Looks good to me.

How's it holding up after a couple days?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #22
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Just for the record:
I have been called a "car care nut" more than a few times. I do detailing for friends and family and occasional referral customers. I have an 08 Scion XD Black Sand Pearl and it shines like no other scion. The car looks better than it did in the showroom. I read J lynn's write-up and having nothing to do today, decided to take a chance on the Black Box wax. I have to say, J Lynn you LIE! You said it was "ok" and your arm was wasted... Well, Yes, it's a two step, but I used a DA Porter cable with a microfiber finishing pad and did the first step covering the entire car. The Detail spray made it very easy to remove the haze and then I followed up with a new microfiber pad and did the wax. It came out producing THE BEST SHINE I HAVE EVER GOTTEN ON MY CAR!!! so, J Lynn, that, was your lie! it's not just OK. It is worth every bit of effort and the whole thing from wash to clean-up was just under 2.5 hours. Not bad at all. I used to be 100% Meguiar's man, but now I have another product in the cabinet too... however, I did use the Meguiar's microfiber pads to do the applications. There is a DEFINITE difference in the deep black coloration and all the tiny stone chips are not evident. Just the larger ones are there and maybe only 6 of them, at that. I did use the gloves, and did the job in my garage with a 46 degree temp. Summer weather should make for better results! J Lynn, Kidding aside, I think you did a convincing write-up, as I already saw the color change on your job, and I was doing mine with full confidence of a good result.

Even Wifey said "the car looks somehow nicer, like darker and shinier". If SHE noticed that, it just has to be a jump out and bite your difference. LOL.

THANK YOU J LYNNWithout your write up I'd have been watching golf all day.... with a not as shiny car too.
Got it today at Wmart $16.25
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Just for the record:
I have been called a "car care nut" more than a few times. I do detailing for friends and family and occasional referral customers. I have an 08 Scion XD Black Sand Pearl and it shines like no other scion. The car looks better than it did in the showroom. I read J lynn's write-up and having nothing to do today, decided to take a chance on the Black Box wax. I have to say, J Lynn you LIE! You said it was "ok" and your arm was wasted... Well, Yes, it's a two step, but I used a DA Porter cable with a microfiber finishing pad and did the first step covering the entire car. The Detail spray made it very easy to remove the haze and then I followed up with a new microfiber pad and did the wax. It came out producing THE BEST SHINE I HAVE EVER GOTTEN ON MY CAR!!! so, J Lynn, that, was your lie! it's not just OK. It is worth every bit of effort and the whole thing from wash to clean-up was just under 2.5 hours. Not bad at all. I used to be 100% Meguiar's man, but now I have another product in the cabinet too... however, I did use the Meguiar's microfiber pads to do the applications. There is a DEFINITE difference in the deep black coloration and all the tiny stone chips are not evident. Just the larger ones are there and maybe only 6 of them, at that. I did use the gloves, and did the job in my garage with a 46 degree temp. Summer weather should make for better results! J Lynn, Kidding aside, I think you did a convincing write-up, as I already saw the color change on your job, and I was doing mine with full confidence of a good result.

Even Wifey said "the car looks somehow nicer, like darker and shinier". If SHE noticed that, it just has to be a jump out and bite your difference. LOL.

THANK YOU J LYNNWithout your write up I'd have been watching golf all day.... with a not as shiny car too.
Got it today at Wmart $16.25
I'm jealous of you being smarter than I was and using a DA :) I even have a buffer, but wanted to see what it did by hand (figured it says it guarantees it with hand use, so I'd give it a shot but I should have used my buffer!)

I am glad you liked it - I am still loving the shine it added to mine also! I'm glad I was able to help convince you to try it .... all of our black cars thank us now! haha

And, I too was a Meguires only girl .... now the Meguires is there only for the truck (it's blue); the Black Box is all that will be used on my car going forward. It's like a black ocean when I look at it ..... it's so freakin' beautiful lol
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
Looks good to me.

How's it holding up after a couple days?
Still looks perfect; after severe thunderstorms and non-stop rain, it is spot-free for the most part and still looks amazing. I am realllllly liking this :)

And, there is PLENTY of black detailer that comes with it, so after it stops raining for a day or two where it will clear; I am just going to touch it up with the black spray detailer and it will look like I just did it all over again.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #25
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
You're welcome. ;)

BTW, my car was covered in fiberglass dust(from being in the garage while I was working on something) and then left sitting outside on an Army base next to the airfield for 5 days. I'm going to wash it later and see how the wax held up to all those contaminants...fingers crossed it'll still be smooth as glass with a quick wash down.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
You're welcome. ;)

BTW, my car was covered in fiberglass dust(from being in the garage while I was working on something) and then left sitting outside on an Army base next to the airfield for 5 days. I'm going to wash it later and see how the wax held up to all those contaminants...fingers crossed it'll still be smooth as glass with a quick wash down.
It doesn't make overspray smooth (I'm so pissed I have overspray on 1/2 my car....) ... so you may be SOL with fiberglass; but it will at least look purdy :)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #27
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Sweet @ J lynn on the hold-up.

Do tell @ Mazilla :P
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #28
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Butter smooth...

I cannot do that prism justice, wish I had better camera skillz.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Your car's look great. I used to have a black pickup, and before that a black Supra.
They never looked that good, but I was a little lazy, too.

What do you recommend for non-black cars like mine?
Is it Mequire's or another Turtle Wax product?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #30
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

I'd definitely go with Meguires; the NXT wax is really nice for metallic paints, I've noticed over the years. Turtle Wax has never really made a good quality wax, IMO, before this Black Box - I have neverrrr liked their product lines. They did wow me with this one though :)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
My 14-yr-old son got me some at Walmart today, said it was only $16-something for the entire kit. Might want to check there before buying elsewhere...

Cheers! M2
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #32
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
My 14-yr-old son got me some at Walmart today, said it was only $16-something for the entire kit. Might want to check there before buying elsewhere...

Cheers! M2
Yup, it's $16.88 at Walmart .... the Walmart in Humboldt, TN was higher than any other walmart - don't know why, but at the Jackson walmarts it was only $16.88. So I spent $2 more on it lol
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #33
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Car looks good. I dont know anything about that kit but i'm sure it comes with some sort of polishing compound. You probably removed some very fine scratches or swirls with it but the rest of the work it did it probably filled more then corrected. If it "corrected" the paint the swirls will come back in a few washes (depending on how you wash the car).

If your interested in a GREAT wax try Wet Diamond. AMAZING. Feels like a thin coat of oil on the car and lasts FOREVER!
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote