Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i have a few tiny spots like this on the rear hatch of my yaris.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
xtremist

Drives: yaris Y 2010 A.K.A. "sky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Attachment 46050

I know the Yaris paint isn't the best and people have reported problems, especially with the front bumper, but I think my car might be an unusual case. It's been progressively getting worse for a few years (it just flakes off), but now it's getting embarrassing. I've been told by people with painting experience that this is due to improper preparation/application, but my car is well past the warranty (it's an '07 with over 70,000 miles). Should I bother taking it to Toyota or make other arrangements?
hhmmm...this is one of a rare case that toyota got this problem. we have yaris here in Saudi Arabia w/c I can say has one of the worst weather in the world...Extremely Hot plus a terrible sand storm that sandblasted your paint and your plate number. Our piant becomes dull because of this weather but pealing off the paint is unusuall... the OEM bumper is black and I think the primer used is the plastic (clear) primer, I got scratches before and I cannot see the white primer on it, insted a layed body color paint and the black... maybe, you need to show this to toyota on where you bought it and ask ...whhhyyyy???

Yaris X: The Largest Most Organized Pinoy Yaris Owners Group In The Middle East (Eastern Region Chapter)
Disclaimer: Not Connected to Toyota A.Lathif Jameel ME In Any Way
xtremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #21
xtremist

Drives: yaris Y 2010 A.K.A. "sky"
hhmmm... after I've read all the post here, I wonder also why is that it is only on red color cars? when this peeling off start? I have a friend here using yaris sedan color red and since he bought it 6 months ago his paint is still amazing even after several driving w/ heavy sandstorm.

Yaris X: The Largest Most Organized Pinoy Yaris Owners Group In The Middle East (Eastern Region Chapter)
Disclaimer: Not Connected to Toyota A.Lathif Jameel ME In Any Way
xtremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Somebody could jump in and correct me, but I believe that the colors used on the sedans are different from the colors on the hatchback (aren't the sedans and the hatchbacks assembled in different factories in Japan?). Maybe that's why your friend's red sedan is holding up nicely....the sedan has a different color of red than the OP's, who has a hatchback. So, I guess the lesson here is, don't get a red hatchback?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I've never seen this happen and there are gobs of red HBs 2006+ running around southern Ontario.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
so will it covered by the warranty ? my car has 28xxx miles with the extended up to 7 yrs bumper to bumper waranty ..
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I would think that defective paint will be covered in the warranty.

I guess I am luck because some kid hit my front right fender in his mom's excursion so i got that repaired and they had to repaint the front bumper as well so i might not run into this and if i do i take it to the place that painted my car and they will fix it.

back the to the last question, go and ask is the best way to find out for sure but it should be. might even count as part of the lemon law.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I had the same problem wth the front bumper lip on my Celica. Fortunately, it was still under warranty.

The problem seems to be as said.... just improper prepping of the pastic part and it not unheard of. My co-worker had the same type of problem with a new Nissan.
I would contact Toyta coporate and see what they say as it was obvoiusly defective from day one.

In my case, the dealer simply replaced it with another pre painted new lip as the car was only a few monts old.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #27
Rikki
I've made a post!

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Whew! I'm not alone... I had been having alot of white chips show up on my red '06 Yaris on my car bumper and it has been getting progressively worse over the last few months but then today I took it into the car wash- DIY wand wash and poof - it started peeling away like a banana skin! But only on the bumper. - My bumper looks like yours REM! I purchased it brand new from the dealership showroom floor. Never had any fender benders in the front although I have had someones clutch release and tap my rear bumper - no damage there and paint back there is all intact. I'll be calling the dealership shortly...when I purchased the car I even had an additional paint protection coat done with a lifetime warranty of course the fine print says there should be an annual inspection but since I have all my maintenance done there... I will see what they say.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote