Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
jjosull
I've made a post!

Drives: 2000 yaris
2000 1.3 YARIS Wing panel replacement

Hello, car had a little accident the passenger side wing panel needs to be replaced.
Garage quoted too much for a car so old - so after some research I'm planning on replacing the wing myself.
A new wing passenger panel is on its way - so guys have any of you done the same job and replaced a body panel?
If so please let me know your experience / advice.

I searched the form looking for similar cases - could not locate any.
Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
jjosull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I had to replace the right front fender (wing panel) on the 2008 project car that I bought this past summer. It is a 2nd gen, so it is a little different than your first gen.

In my case, besides the fender itself, the bumper support mount on that side and the radiator support frame on that side were damaged, and the mounting brackets for the fender were tweaked a bit as well. Replacing the bumper support and radiator support frame and bending the bracket back into position was not hard. I think the hardest part was prepping and painting the new fender. Getting the finish to be as smooth as the factory finish using color matched paint in a spray can required about 6 coats with sanding in between each coat.

Here's the thread about mine:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40321