Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
snapgarrett

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
auto transmission problem

I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what's going on with my car. When i start driving for the day or when my car sits for a while my transmission will act up. It will shift fine from 1st to 2nd to 3rd but it will stay in 3rd for a while then shift into 4th. Once it has shifted into 4th, the transmission will act normally for the rest of the time shifting up and down with no problems but its the staying in 3rd gear for a while that I would like to know about. These problems are occurring at highway speeds so I will be in 3rd going 60-70 trying to keep up with traffic and the engine is revving at a higher rpm than it should. I've had the car since 2007 and it has never done this before.
snapgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
The car is waiting for the engine to warm up. It will not shift into 4th until the green cold engine indicator light in your cluster has gone out. This is, and has always been, the nature of the automatic. I don't know why you are saying it is a new issue now.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 will not shift into 4th. Until the Cold Indicator on the dash goes off.
My Scanguage says about 130 degrees water temperature.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
snapgarrett

It's never happened before, I did just recently put a new engine into my car though. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapgarrett View Post
I did just recently put a new engine into my car though.
It would help to not miss out on important details such as this the next time around.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what's going on with my car. When i start driving for the day or when my car sits for a while my transmission will act up. It will shift fine from 1st to 2nd to 3rd but it will stay in 3rd for a while then shift into 4th. Once it has shifted into 4th, the transmission will act normally for the rest of the time shifting up and down with no problems but its the staying in 3rd gear for a while that I would like to know about. These problems are occurring at highway speeds so I will be in 3rd going 60-70 trying to keep up with traffic and the engine is revving at a higher rpm than it should. I've had the car since 2007 and it has never done this before.
Make sure the engine coolant temp sensor got plugged back in (it is located on the bottom of the radiator).
Old 03-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
It would help to not miss out on important details such as this the next time around.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
snapgarrett

Yeah, I should have included that info lol. As for the sensor, I'll check it out when I get out of class.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Yeah, I should have included that info lol. As for the sensor, I'll check it out when I get out of class.
All good sorry if my post earlier wasnt much help. I am trying to get as much info as i can for our Yarises and the thought on my mind is that the topics here should serve as a knowledgebase (for future reference). Hence the (insensitive ) remark.

Back to topic, it would also help to change ATF (if it hasnt been changed for the past 2-3 years), and doing it regularly (2-3 years) will help ensuring longevity of your auto tranny.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
snapgarrett

It's all good. The sensor was plugged in, as for the ATF; it has been changed within the last two years. I completely love this car, I bought it with less than 20 miles on it and put just under 180,000 miles on it, I've driven it very hard for long periods of time and only done basic maintenance, to put a different engine in only cost $1100 and something including the engine and it had just over 60,000 miles on it so yeah, I'm happy with this little sedan.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
It's all good. The sensor was plugged in, as for the ATF; it has been changed within the last two years. I completely love this car, I bought it with less than 20 miles on it and put just under 180,000 miles on it, I've driven it very hard for long periods of time and only done basic maintenance, to put a different engine in only cost $1100 and something including the engine and it had just over 60,000 miles on it so yeah, I'm happy with this little sedan.
OK. Do you have access to a scantool that can read OBD data? Either the coolant temp sensor or the ATF temp sensor may be failing. The ATF temp sensor is located within the tranny, but makes its way to the ECM via the 10 pin connector on the AT.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #12
snapgarrett

I can stop by a shop sometime this weekend. How much does a ATF sensor usually cost to replace?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I can stop by a shop sometime this weekend. How much does a ATF sensor usually cost to replace?
No idea. I haven't heard of one ever needing to be replaced.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
I did just recently put a new engine into my car though.
What happened? How did the old one die?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
snapgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
What happened? How did the old one die?
I'm a complete ass when I drive. I had to limit myself on the hp when buying a car and my daily commute usually has a speed near or above 100mph. I've driven the car extremely hard from when it was new to when the engine went at 178,xxx miles. I've road tripped with the car numerous times, driven it rough off-road, and had my share of fun on snow days. This is the toughest little car I've ever owned. But, what really happened was when I let my little brother use the car during spring break to drive to wherever they went and he didn't get the oil changed when I told him to cause it was 8,000 miles since the last one and the car was low on oil so when he go back there was a knocking. As long as you keep up with the maintenance of the car, it will be fine.