Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Question on something knocking in engine compartment

Like the title says, my kid reported something knocking in the engine compartment, on passenger side, when driving (hopefully gently enough) with cold engine. Went away when engine warm and didn't come back. I did a test drive and heard nothing. Fluids are full.
I did tire rotation a week ago, and everything look good in tires, suspension, brakes, etc.
What else to check?
Thanks!
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
MaXx0909

Drives: Toyota Yaris 07 hatchback
Have you tried checking a torn cv boot ? Did it occur while taking sharp turns and giving it acceleration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MaXx0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Last time I checked (a week ago) the CV joints were in top shape. The noise showed up only once, and didn't reappear. My test drive had lots of turns and I would have noticed that.

To put the whole story in perspective, my kid didn't report the noise itself. She stated that "oil needs changing." I was intrigued by that as I though she had no clue how cars work. After some probing questions, it turned out it was a male friend riding with her in the car who stated that oil needs changing after hearing the knocking sound.
They are obviously wrong as oil has less than 2000 miles and it's as full as it should be.

Teenagers!

One more thing. I did tie the tranny cable as per the TBS a couple of months ago, so it shouldn't be that.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote