Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Weight Savings - Removal, Reduction, Reminder....

Weight Savings - Removal, Reduction, Reminder to leave your bowling balls at home when not at the 'alley. The biggest loss of performance comes from carrying unneeded stuff..accelerating it, decelerating it, making it turn...it hurts you in every way.

My removals for LIFTBACK:
Spare tire compartment cover - (12+ pounds for something that TAKES UP ROOM?!?) a nice flat cargo area looks nice, but it's actually worse for you in many ways. For one, stuff you're going to store back there will be WAY MORE LIKELY to roll around on the flat compartment cover. stacking stuff around the spare tire and side compartments can look a little weird, but it will actually stay in place better AND it's lower to the ground, so you won't be throwing it around as much!!

Cargo area cover - I don't keep expensive items in my vehicle that I would need hiding. plus, it willl take up room WHEN you actually need to put something large in the liftback!!
It's not very heavy, but agan, it's rather high up in the vehicle which hurts your cornering ability. Weight that is high up cause the vehicle to yaw over instead of cornering flat...and it's the #1 cause of rollovers

Backseat - Like someone on YarisWorld has mentioned, the rearseat is REALLY heavy, and i would like to upgrade to the 60/40 split/fold/recline rearseat in the future. I don't haul my little girl around very much, but when I do SHE REQUIRES a rearseat for safety so I'm kinda stuck with it right now.

Lightweight Wheels, Tires (Toyo T1S, Falken Ziex ZE 512 for instance), Flywheel - arguably, the best drivetrain weight losses. A lightweight flywheel will "feel" faster due to the ease of revving which correlates into increased throttle reponse.

The hood is so incredibly small I don't think there would be any true weight savings from going with Carbon Fiber. Though, if you really had the cheeze, you could always get your metal roof removed and redone in carbon fiber, since there is a substantial amount of weight in the roof and it's REALLY high up in comparison to other "sporty" cars

For the track - ALL THESE FIT INTO A LARGE DUFFLEBAG THAT I CAN TAKE OUT OF MY CAR WHEN I GET TO THE TRACK : Spare tire, jack stands, extra lug nuts, tire air pump and accurate tire pressure checker, wrenches, screwdrivers, flashlight, BOTTLED WATER, energy bars, etc.etc.etc.etc.
It all stays together, instead of 15-20 different things laying around everywhere..
Old 08-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Nice topic there m8!

I have measured the weight of my 5d 1.3lt Υaris and it's at about 1122kg with me inside.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Katana

I always have the same problem when taking part in trackdays.

After removing all this stuff,have you actually saw any difference in the speed of the car?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I've never raced with all the extra stuff in the car, so it would be tough to say HOW MUCH of a difference it makes. but, just the spare wheel/tire, jack, and lug wrench add more than 30 lbs..which is well over 1/70th of the OVERALL weight of the vehicle. If you add in the 14 lbs i save from the trunk cover and spare tire cover AS WELL as the reduction of almost 6 lbs on each corner (forged 15" rims and lightweight tires) the car starts to become "responsive to throttle input"
Most people ADD weight to their car, I don't even feel comfortable putting a 3ounce stuffed animal on the rearview mirror :P I won't even carry my Yaris' Owner Booklet in my car, just the warranty paperwork!!!

I'll have to weigh the entire duffle bag when i get the chance (and can actually remember). I'm guessing it's about 55 lbs.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Nice post TRD.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
soros151
Another question... :D

Drives: Scion tC 06
Very good, and I think that with gutted interiors, at least in the back, this would be an awsome deal. Making a lightweight car into a more menacing machine!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Katana

I see.You guys are so lucky that you can purchase the 1.5lt model...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

hehe, the only perk we got (vs. the rest of the planet) is the 1.5lt

I'm still looking around for some info on weight distribution. These cars are already a bit front heavy (i believe, not sure, but it's a FF setup), so removing too much weight in the rear will throw off balance. At the point that you've removed roughly 50 lbs, it might behoove you to look into relocating the battery to the trunk, though you end up adding a few pounds in heavy gauge wire . though, if you're gonna have an amplifier for a soundsystem, anyway, you might actually end up having LESS wire than if you just ran the Amp's power wire from the battery in it's stock position..
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Homes, where can I get those little gems you spoke about in my other post?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1342117

Evasive Motor Sports is good people. He will cut you a cheaper deal if you buy multiple items, as well He sells kyokugens and a few other brands, but i've always been MORE THAN HAPPY with the mutekis. But, then again I haven't researched them in some time, so you've got something to do for a while (you research whore :P )
Old 08-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1342117

Evasive Motor Sports is good people. He will cut you a cheaper deal if you buy multiple items, as well He sells kyokugens and a few other brands, but i've always been MORE THAN HAPPY with the mutekis. But, then again I haven't researched them in some time, so you've got something to do for a while (you research whore :P )
Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
Katana

@ΤRD Yaris I am sure that our car is a bit front heavy!However, it's better than the previous one.I used to leave a lot of rubber on the road...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
soros151

:D I think that if you drop 10K on this car, you have a menace on the road, and the strip. Also you would be owning Veeeeeery expensive cars. It would be a SHAME to them... being beaten by a "12,000" car....
:P
Old 08-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #14
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana
@ΤRD Yaris I am sure that our car is a bit front heavy!However, it's better than the previous one.I used to leave a lot of rubber on the road...
when your fronts are worn...

rotate the tires, switching the fronts with the rears, and you're good to go again!
then you're good for more:

lol jk.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #15
Katana

Νice advice :-) Tnx God the new one is better at this part.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #16
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I just removed the valve cover, and it reduced IAT by 2 degrees throughout 2 days of driving, though it only shedded less than 3 lbs.

I cerametallic coated the exhaust manifold, heatshield, and FUEL RAIL. The brake calipers and block will be sprayed with a heat dissipating coating next week, we will see how it affects coolant temperatures. I will be back at the dyno THE SECOND THAT ALL CONDITIONS (temps, humidity, etc.) are consistent with my last dyno day (106.9 hp).

Next step is clearing the catalytic converter and upgrading to Vitz RS rear disc brakes AS WELL AS putting Redline Water Wetter in coolant system. i can't wait for 10,000 miles so i can REALLY OPEN up the throttle and REALLY beat on the brakes..
Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #17
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris

I cerametallic coated the exhaust manifold, heatshield, and FUEL RAIL.
Show me pic's you tool!
Old 08-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #18
soros151

No pics!?