Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Dorkinheimer

Drives: Yaris 2007 *manual*
3 Door Hatchback Questions

I already had a few Suzuki Swifts hatchback, and often I could hear the hatchback door vibrate when driving on bumpy, icy winter roads. That drove me nuts. Since then, I never wanted a hatchback. With the swift, there was a way to adjust the rubber, by screwing or unscrewing, so that the hatchback door would close more tightly but still it rattled when I was driving on bumpy roads.

Also, having only 2 doors, means only 2 windows can open, not 4, so I was wondering with the 2 door Yaris hatchback, when driving at higher speeds, do you feel that the air is making a funny noise when entering the car through the front windows only? With a 4 door, simply by lowering the back windows an inch or so, would solve the problem. The air would come in the front windows, to exit the back windows, so that created a quiet flow of air, that refreshed the car.

So, basically what I'm asking is 2 questions:

A) Does the hatchback door rattle on bumpy roads?

B) With the 2 door hatchback, when you lower the windows at higher speeds, is it noisier than with a 4 door with all windows down or slightly down?
Dorkinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
A) I do have some rattles, although they're not from the rear hatchs.

B) There is a bit of "buffeting" when I roll my windows down at speed. However, I was told that some window visors will cure this problem.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
a) no rattles here.. and i have a 10" woofer in the back too.. with no sound deadening material

b) what he said. just some buffeting at high speeds but not loud .
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Danish Yaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1,8 TS 5dr. 2007
Hi

I have no rattle from the rear hatch.

There will be noise, when you roll down the windows and drive on highway etc., but if you buy a OE set of visors it will take the noise when you only have the top of the window opened.

Regards Steven.
Danish Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
ysr 72

Drives: toyota yaris SR
mine doesnt and im driving a 2001 sr model no rattles or shakes it still feels like new!
ysr 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I drove my Yaris 3 door hatchback 10,400 miles from NJ to the Arctic Circle in Alaska and back last summer and the hatch never made a sound.

The windows I cant help you with except to say if the noise bothers you see a doctor.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
the hacth when i drive don't make a sound, i think that's why they made is so it basically "locks" in place.
Keep in mind i drive a lot of country roads. meaning bumpy, unkept roads usually

the windows thing i could'nt tell ya.

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
My car used to have rattles when going over bumpy roads. It wasn't bad, so I though nothing of it. I now know the rattles must have been because an inside door panel or two wasn't screwed on or pushed on tight enough by the workers at the factory. The problem was (unintentionally) solved after I took my Yaris to a body shop to get some panels repainted after the car had been keyed. The body shop had to take a couple inside door panels off in order to remove the outside door handles. All I know is that when I got my car back, the rattles were gone for good. I also used to have some rattles from the liftgate area. I lightly pounded the inside door panel with a closed fist, and the rattling never came back.

So, in other words, should you hear some rattling in the hatchback, it's not a design flaw, as it seems to have been with your Suzukis. It's because the factory workers didn't put on the inside door panels all the way. Luckily, it's a problem that's easily solved. All you need to do is push on the inner door panels a little bit.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
A.) Just over two years and absolutely no rattles in the back or anywhere else.

B.) Never been in a 4-door Yaris, so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I do on occasion drive with the windows down, and I've yet to experience any buffeting. I do have vent visors on the windows, though.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
travelled 40 miles of wash board gravel/sandy road once-no rattles what so ever. The rubber bump stops you speak of that screw up and down are not adjustable on the yaris.

Yes, you will get wind buffeting/drumming if you only open one side window, but open the other slightly and that noise is eliminated
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
I have an 07 w/ 61,000 miles. I don't have any rattles.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
no rattles on '08

My 3-door '08 has never had any rattles, even on washboard roads. The side doors close with a bank vault like thump and the hatch seals perfectly. I use ArmorAll protectant to keep the door rubber seals pliant. I did install wind visors on the doors. I found that driving faster than 10mph (20kph) with the windows open there was a noticeable pressure fluctuation. Driving over 30mph (50kph), the wind booming through the windows was distracting.
Using my ScanGaugeII mpg meter, my mileage was better using the AC at speeds above 40mph (65kph) than keeping the windows wide open.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
libraryelf

Drives: 2008 Yaris white
Rattles with 3 Hatch back

I bought my yaris in 08 and the hatch door doesn't rattle. Don't know about the windows, don't travel with them all the way down.
libraryelf is offline   Reply With Quote