Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
Different kinds of shine?

While I was out and about this weekend I went shopping for a wash and wax kit from one of the bigger names in car care and, to my admittedly naive mind, half the stuff from Meguiar's or Mother's or Blue Coral or Eagle One all seems the same and the rest of it all seems like second class stuff.

One thing that stood out to me based on looking at the products and I've heard people talk about it before is that different brands will give you a different shine when you're done.

A different shine?

Without going into gobs of detail and such, can someone explain to me how the shine on my car is going to be different if I use product A rather than product B?

Thank you and Flame On ,

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Yep, believe it nor not, different types of wax produce a different shine. Like so many things in this world, what you prefer is what's the "right kind" of shine.

Boutique brands like Zaino and others have more of a plastic gloss to them. More conventional waxes like Meguair's have a nice shine and don't appear freakishly glossy (like Zaino). As you can guess, I prefer conventional wax.

I used to be an uber-geek regarding paint care. My simple answer would be to choose a good mass-market brand like Meguiar's/Mother's/Eagle One/etc. You're welcome to order higher-cost products online (like Zaino), but I don't think they're worth it.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote