Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Your problem is weather related. Clearcoat expands and contracts at a different rate than a base coat paint does. I say base coat because our paint layer is basically that; super thin. I don't know where the OP lives and what the weather is like but weather and acid rain can cause this to happen. Starts off with a small circle then expands with moisture and air. Dry air and no moisture is even worse. Think of it as a Krispy Kreme glazed donut. When it's fresh and hot the glaze it evenly coated. Over a day or two it starts to harden and then by the third it's rock hard and the glaze is cracking and chips off in big chunks. Paint clearcoat is the same way.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
andy64

Drives: Yaris 2012
If clear coat is super thin maybe worth to be careful with clay or polish.
andy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I've actually heard that beading water on the paint (from waxing) can cause the each drop of water to act as a magnifying glass and burn little holes in the finished surface. This can be the starting cause of the paint failure.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #22
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Drives: 2008 Yaris, White Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Your problem is weather related. Clearcoat expands and contracts at a different rate than a base coat paint does. I say base coat because our paint layer is basically that; super thin. I don't know where the OP lives and what the weather is like but weather and acid rain can cause this to happen. Starts off with a small circle then expands with moisture and air. Dry air and no moisture is even worse. Think of it as a Krispy Kreme glazed donut. When it's fresh and hot the glaze it evenly coated. Over a day or two it starts to harden and then by the third it's rock hard and the glaze is cracking and chips off in big chunks. Paint clearcoat is the same way.
I just bought a dozen donuts from Krispy Kreme because of you...
xbr3akd0wnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr3akd0wnx View Post
I just bought a dozen donuts from Krispy Kreme because of you...
You're welcome
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
My 08 black yaris that is always outside is dong fine except for a spot where bird sh!t was left on it for way too long. Not sure if it ate through the paint or just discolored it. My dad's 07 blue yaris has a lot of clear coat peeling from the roof. it looks like someone dumped paint thinner on a section of it. My mom's silver 08 yaris looks fine and it is always outside.

Damn my family is full of Yaris's
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
scottandthesea
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB
A petition has been started on Change.org to address this issue. See link and sign if you agree.

I joined the forum just to post this. Been reading all your posts for about 6 months now. Thanks for all the info!

Toyota: Repaint/recall cars (Yaris) that have clear coat defects

http://www.change.org/petitions/toyo...share_petition
scottandthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
jtsimaras

Drives: S2000 / MAZDA CX5 GT / YARIS
Talking

Not sure if this holds the same for the 2006 model, I just took care of some bad scratches on my driver door by wet sanding and 3 step of cut polish -- paint still intact.
jtsimaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
My 08 Yaris now has a peeling clear coat on the roof. So I took it to the dealership where I got it, since I only have a week left on the extended warranty, they said it was weather and environment related to why it is peeling.

I wanted a second opinion at another dealership and they said that an almost 6 year old car should not have a clear coat peeling off like mine is, so they took pictures and had a body shop rep look at it and he said that there is a bonding issue with the paint process from the factory. They are going to contact Toyota to see if something can be done. I hope they can repaint the roof under warranty cause in a few years it will look very bad. I will keep you guys posted on what they say in a week or so.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
The clearcoat on the roof of my 08 is scratched all to hell, I think it may have been from a car wash I ran it through a year or so ago but it looks horrible and I am looking to have it resprayed in the spring as nothing I've done has been able to make it look any better...

Cheers! M2
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #29
Cutie Pie #2

Well it took awhile but I did hear back from dealership they had a Toyota rep come at look at my car he said they will not cover the paint peeling because I'm out of warranty he said paint falls under the basic warranty 3 years 36,000 miles I looked in the warranty guide and it says nothing about paint being under the 3year 36k. The dealership felt bad about it so they are willing to take 40% off the total of repainting the roof which is $500.00 so I would only pay about $300 or so and they would give me a loaner car to use for the time in the shop. So I guest that's not to bad, but I am going to see if I can get it done cheaper before I go with that dealership.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
$300 is a great price for a re-spray of the roof. especially from a dealer. I'd go with that.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #31
Cutie Pie #2

Couldn't find anywhere cheaper so I'm going with that dealership but I think I will wait till the weather breaks maybe late March.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #32
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Is it only blue paint that's defective?

https://www.google.com/search?q=yari...w=1600&bih=761
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote