Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
gazpacho
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris T Spirit Hybrid
best paint protection ?

Hi,

I am a new Yaris owner (Yaris T Spirit Hybrid) and also new to the forum. I wasnt going to pay the extortionate amount of money the dealer was asking to have my bodywork / paint protected and thought it must be much more economical to get this done elsewhere.
Can you recommend what product I should use to keep that "new car" shine and to protect the paint and bodywork ?
Should I go for a product that I can apply myself or one that is applied professionally ?
Any help and advice will be gratefully receieved

Thanks

John
gazpacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Melloreel

Drives: 08 3dr LB
I can't see where the "paint sealant" has helped anything on all my cars, but I use mcguires gold class wax. And I'm very impressed with it! I have 9 different bottles of wax trying to keep the black paint on my Harley shiny, and it's the only wax for me
Melloreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
For the best paint protection you want to go with a synthetic wax stay away from carnuba wax which only last a month or so if the vehicle is parked outside especially on hot summers. Klasse makes a really good paint sealer but requires a bit of prep. Meguires has a new wax thats supposedly a mixture of carnuba with synthetics which is suppose to give you a good gloss while lasting as long as a synthetic.

What ive done in the past after ive claybar and polish i lay down a synthetic sealant as a base and then top it off with a good carnuba wax for extra shine, when it wears off i still have my paint protected.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazpacho View Post
Hi,

I am a new Yaris owner (Yaris T Spirit Hybrid) and also new to the forum. I wasnt going to pay the extortionate amount of money the dealer was asking to have my bodywork / paint protected and thought it must be much more economical to get this done elsewhere.
Can you recommend what product I should use to keep that "new car" shine and to protect the paint and bodywork ?
Should I go for a product that I can apply myself or one that is applied professionally ?
Any help and advice will be gratefully receieved

Thanks

John
Wash regularly.

Claybar, and wax every 6 months!!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it really depends how much you like spending time washing, waxing, cleaning, and putting other things on your car.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
plastidip the entire car

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
YarYarBinks

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to YarYarBinks
Try opti-coat you can wax over it to bring out the shine. The guys on the frs forum use it and it is a permanent protection solution. Link http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=748122

3/4 way down page 3 members name is Sony
YarYarBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
jetblast

Drives: Gen 1 XB
3M products have never let me down. Not always the cheapest, but the "if you lean on my car, it's soooo slick you're gonna fall down" finish.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
22ple, End of conversation. Period.
http://www.22ple.com/
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
As Absolutelyred suggested, I'm fan of washing regularly and applying a nice carnuba wax. Paint sealants are more or less a gimmick, they surely seem to last longer but as I work on hundreds of different cars in any month, a paint sealant isn't going to prevent a big bird poo laying on your paint a good week in blazing sun from destroying a nice spot of your clear. Nor will it save your front bumper from a summers worth of bug guts eating away at the clear.

Preventative maintenance keeps the car looking good, not a sealant. Depending on it will disappoint in the long run.

Wash the car, remove bugs, tar, sap, clay it, wash again, cleaner wax it, carnuba. Then continue to wash it often and apply carnuba at least monthly. The more consistent you have a layer of wax on I guarantee the easier bugs and tar will come off, no hard scrubbing.

Prevent angel hair scratches caused by washes by having at least 2 mitts, and 3 buckets. 1 bucket for below the belt line and 1 mitt for below the belt line, 1 bucket for above the belt line and 1 mitt for above the belt line. Use the third bucket to get debris off the mitt after every panel and use new water once it gets a little dirty. You could go even further and have more mitts for every panel and above and below the belt line but on a commuter car.. kind of unnecessary. And clean the mitts when you're done! Never let them touch anything but a bucket of water and your car.

It's really not that big of a deal once you have it down and keep after it, buy a nice $20 10" orbital, save your shoulders and have your ride in and out of your at home detailing station in less than 45 minutes.

Dealer professional application is a job you could do with $50 and a few hours of your time. Nothing wrong with taking it to a professional but for the money conscious, it's a no brainer to do it yourself.

My carnuba suggestion is Meguiars, it's easy enough to find and damn near or as good as professional products. If you're determined for a paint sealant, Mothers paint sealant has always had a lasting effect for me and also easy to find. You could also call professional automotive product vendors, such as MG, Ardex, Eureka and my personal favorite SDI Snyder.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
wildmongoose26

Why would you say sealants are a gimmick?
22ple lasts 18-24 months. Its a silica based polymer that actually creates a hard barrier between paintwork and wash mitts, towels, etc. Have used this on several cars. One of this the paint was so soft even a very gentle wipe down after buffing the car out put in tiny micro scratches. This is a big pain when you've just spent 10+ hours getting paint the way it should be. Applying the 22ple has actually helped eliminate the addition of scratches for at least a year now. Yes, it is expensive. Probably $50-$60 for a 1 car application it is effective. If your into the feel on top of the protection your able to put any wax on top of it.
Look it up. It's pretty awesome.
So your going to promote a cleaning maintenance plan but then leave out a grit guard for the "clean water" bucket? My husband details cars for a leaving and he uses 2 buckets. You wash top to bottom, anything that takes more then light pressure to get off the paintwork he just pulls out a clay bar.
Really though. It's all about the time, effort and money your welling to put into it. You could spend $200 on products and everything you need or you could spend $1k products and things you need.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chifte View Post
As Absolutelyred suggested, I'm fan of washing regularly and applying a nice carnuba wax. Paint sealants are more or less a gimmick, they surely seem to last longer but as I work on hundreds of different cars in any month, a paint sealant isn't going to prevent a big bird poo laying on your paint a good week in blazing sun from destroying a nice spot of your clear. Nor will it save your front bumper from a summers worth of bug guts eating away at the clear.

Preventative maintenance keeps the car looking good, not a sealant. Depending on it will disappoint in the long run.

Wash the car, remove bugs, tar, sap, clay it, wash again, cleaner wax it, carnuba. Then continue to wash it often and apply carnuba at least monthly. The more consistent you have a layer of wax on I guarantee the easier bugs and tar will come off, no hard scrubbing.

Prevent angel hair scratches caused by washes by having at least 2 mitts, and 3 buckets. 1 bucket for below the belt line and 1 mitt for below the belt line, 1 bucket for above the belt line and 1 mitt for above the belt line. Use the third bucket to get debris off the mitt after every panel and use new water once it gets a little dirty. You could go even further and have more mitts for every panel and above and below the belt line but on a commuter car.. kind of unnecessary. And clean the mitts when you're done! Never let them touch anything but a bucket of water and your car.

It's really not that big of a deal once you have it down and keep after it, buy a nice $20 10" orbital, save your shoulders and have your ride in and out of your at home detailing station in less than 45 minutes.

Dealer professional application is a job you could do with $50 and a few hours of your time. Nothing wrong with taking it to a professional but for the money conscious, it's a no brainer to do it yourself.

My carnuba suggestion is Meguiars, it's easy enough to find and damn near or as good as professional products. If you're determined for a paint sealant, Mothers paint sealant has always had a lasting effect for me and also easy to find. You could also call professional automotive product vendors, such as MG, Ardex, Eureka and my personal favorite SDI Snyder.
Would the prevailing climate effect your recommendation? I've lived most of my life either in Absolutely Red's neck of the woods or parts of YarisSedan's metro that have weather similar to where Absolutely Red lives. I've lived here since 2008, and the heat here is a fair bit more extreme than either of their areas.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
plastidip the entire car
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmongoose26 View Post
Why would you say sealants are a gimmick?
22ple lasts 18-24 months. Its a silica based polymer that actually creates a hard barrier between paintwork and wash mitts, towels, etc. Have used this on several cars. One of this the paint was so soft even a very gentle wipe down after buffing the car out put in tiny micro scratches. This is a big pain when you've just spent 10+ hours getting paint the way it should be. Applying the 22ple has actually helped eliminate the addition of scratches for at least a year now. Yes, it is expensive. Probably $50-$60 for a 1 car application it is effective. If your into the feel on top of the protection your able to put any wax on top of it.
Look it up. It's pretty awesome.
So your going to promote a cleaning maintenance plan but then leave out a grit guard for the "clean water" bucket? My husband details cars for a leaving and he uses 2 buckets. You wash top to bottom, anything that takes more then light pressure to get off the paintwork he just pulls out a clay bar.
Really though. It's all about the time, effort and money your welling to put into it. You could spend $200 on products and everything you need or you could spend $1k products and things you need.
The average person who puts paint sealant on their car is going to view it as a miracle cure, I know this because I've had a number of customers come back a couple years later and complain their paint has acid marks and bug marks. I didn't say sealants were ineffective, they just aren't nearly as effective as the bottle says.

I am speaking of maintaining good paint. You seem to be comparing heavy cutting and procedures that follow to my suggestion of maintenance, which isn't the same thing.

I apply sealant to every car I compound as well, but the key is to never allow your paint to get to that point. Paying a premium and applying sealant to a perfectly good paint job is unnecessary and doesnt offer much if any more real world protection.

My own cars have never had a rotary touch them or sealant, through harsh salty winters, theyve always been immaculate and its in my best interest to keep it that way!

I dont see the point of a grit guard, I made it clear to use the third bucket to wash debris from the mitt and to fill with new water often. Depending on a grit guard with dirty water is asking for trouble in my opinion.

I also recondition for a living, 7 years now. Professional detailers have a tendency to think my way or the highway, and I understand it all too well Haha! My methods work, proven to without complicating my job or costing customers more.

Most products have their place, some work. But as I said preventing paint damage and keeping it simple is far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Would the prevailing climate effect your recommendation? I've lived most of my life either in Absolutely Red's neck of the woods or parts of YarisSedan's metro that have weather similar to where Absolutely Red lives. I've lived here since 2008, and the heat here is a fair bit more extreme than either of their areas.
Negative, your paint has uv protectants. Regular washing and waxing will prevent paint damage. Modern paints are fantastic.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
wildmongoose26

If you want to shout from the high heavens about maintaining paint to a point it will never need correction than why not list every option and recommend anything that will help reduce the odds of swirls or scratches getting in the paint?
If your customers came back a couple of years after coming to see you complaining about the paint then are you not educating them at the same time as providing a service?
Do you go through how to properly wash and dry the car to help extend the life of the protection on the car? They might be uneducated with what to expect and have false expectations due to this?
Every car I do I give them a time frame on the next proper paint maintenance. X amount of time until the recommended next wax. Wash it with this type of soap, wipe off this that and the other if it happens. Easy and even pressure. Etc.

Sealants are amazing when used properly. They can and WILL help reduce some but not all paint imperfections that can appear in your paint from improper care. As do all things when used properly.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
Billhenry
Expert

Drives: Toyota Yaris
3M Paint Defender Spray Film provides protection and Defend your vehicle paint from rock chips bugs sand salt and other everyday driving hazards with this innovative spray-applied protective product. This DIY product is easy to apply and dries to a clear film, giving your vehicle invisible protection on the road.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chifte View Post
Negative, your paint has uv protectants. Regular washing and waxing will prevent paint damage. Modern paints are fantastic.
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
fast4door
The rook

Drives: 2011 yaris 5d
I just used this stuff on my black Tundra and have been happy with the results

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

The link also has a cool demo video on the stuff called reload and I think I paid $30 or so
fast4door is offline   Reply With Quote