Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #55
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The Yaris is extremely spartan...
Yes.

Financed luxury is a waste of money...

...while owned cheapness is fiscal responsibility.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #56
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
People don't buy Prius's based solely on economics. If people only considered the economic part of their purchase, most cars that sell, wouldn't sell. Everyone would be driving one of about 10 vehicles - Yaris, Corolla, Elantra, Accent, Rio, Versa, Sonic, ect. (the most cost effective rides). Many people prefer to spend extra for desirable attributes of certain vehicles. Be it size, performance, luxury, styling, prestige, ect. Many spend a premium just to get a badge (most notably Mercedes/BMW - when you can often get, IMO, a better car in Lexus for less money).

So why does the Prius sell 5-6 TIMES as much as the Yaris (in the US) each month? Obviously, the Prius doesn't save you money over a Yaris (different class, mind you). Technically, the Prius is classed between the Corolla and Camry, so it's difficult to directly compare to anything. The Prius is apples and oranges to every other car on the market - only the Honda Insight is designed to mimic the Prius, but fails on so many levels, hence its sales failure. The Prius sells for it's gas mileage, yes, but for other desirable characteristics as well. It mixes this superior gas mileage with excellent practicality - a very roomy hatch. It's actually quite stylish to those that enjoy a bullet shaped futuristic looking car. Many even like the futuristic interior. The Prius is also the most reliable car on the market. The battery has been known to last beyond 300,000 miles too. And yes, many just like the hybrid "green" image. All for a very reasonable price.

And check out its potential...

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #57
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
People don't buy Prius's based solely on economics.
I totally agree. In my area the Prius is a politically correct liberal statement of a feminist socially conscious global warming carbon footprint. The Prius to Yaris ratio here is easily 100 to 1.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Yes.

Financed luxury is a waste of money...

...while owned cheapness is fiscal responsibility.
that is your opinion.

Except you bought a new car, which loses at least 25% of its value the second you drive off the dealers lot.

Many people would call that a wasteful luxury.

There are numerous used cars you could have purchased with that same money that would have done the same thing and cost you less. Or you could have spent the same money on a much nicer car. etc, etc, etc.

Of course, many people can afford to buy cars two or three times the cost of the Yaris in cash as well. Not everyone who spends a ton of money on cars finances them.

So you decide it is a waste of money. Others will decide for themselves. That is why God gave us all that little thing called free will.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #59
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Except you bought a new car, which loses at least 25% of its value the second you drive off the dealers lot.
I understand that owning new vehicles only works for some people, but drive off value is not a factor for those who own their new vehicles outright and take good care of them over a period of many years. The new Yaris replaced a 19 year old Hyundai which sold in one day for $1,700.

I also bought a new 1988 Toyota pickup truck for $8,800 cash out the door. Then sold it 8 years later for $3,000 when I bought a new 1996 Tacoma for less than $10,000 cash out the door. And after 16 years, it still runs as good as new. The savings in financing or leasing costs, insurance, and registration can become considerable over the years.

I'm a diehard Toyota fan who always buys the cheapest vehicle on the lot for cash out the door and keeps them for a long time.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #60
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I understand that owning new vehicles only works for some people, but drive off value is not a factor for those who own their new vehicles outright and take good care of them over a period of many years. The new Yaris replaced a 19 year old Hyundai which sold in one day for $1,700.

I also bought a new 1988 Toyota pickup truck for $8,800 cash out the door. Then sold it 8 years later for $3,000 when I bought a new 1996 Tacoma for less than $10,000 cash out the door. And after 16 years, it still runs as good as new. The savings in financing or leasing costs, insurance, and registration can become considerable over the years.

I'm a diehard Toyota fan who always buys the cheapest vehicle on the lot for cash out the door and keeps them for a long time.
and that is great that doing that works for you. But not everyone wants to do that.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #61
tooter
play every day

Quote:
and that is great that doing that works for you. But not everyone wants to do that.
Of course not... this is America where everyone is free to choose.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #62
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
edan

Quote:
Sort of what I meant. I do agree there is nothing wrong with it. It does seem though some have a preoccupation with the Yaris.

I disagree. The Malibu was a totally ugly and indistinguishable car. The Prius is unique and easy to pick out in a crowd. And the Prius is not aimed at people who like to drive, it is aimed at people who want to get good gas mileage, and unfortunately has been adopted by the eco crowd.

Probably true. Most people I've talked to buy it for the political statement, or for the unfortunate and incorrect hatred of the oil companies.

Ok, give me a minute to get over the shock of that. Oh wait, you live in Texas. I so need to move there. Seems like a really good place to be.

I'm not sure where you are coming from. I do think people think their choice is the correct one for them, but I do not think it has anything to do with what one could afford.

The Prius is sort of the punching bag for Yaris owners, and it has been so from the beginning. And the math easily shows why. If you go on the math alone, the Yaris is a much better value.

Yet the math does not tell the entire story. The Yaris is extremely spartan, and while that works for some, it does not work for a lot of others. For many people a car without the usual luxuries is not a car they will ever own. I can understand that perspective. There is something to be said for buying a car from the factory with everything you could want. Heated seats, nav, leather interior, full moon roof, etc. Some people want a car to have it all. You can't get that type of stuff in a Yaris.

It seems some people on yw don't like that perspective, which of course, is their choice.

So true, with the exception that getting 40mpg is becoming cool to many people. And a drive in a Yaris and most people realize it is fun to drive, and nothing like what the auto journalists seem to think it is.

Personally I'd go with a Highlander Hybrid, because even the Prius V seems a tad on the small side. Of course I have no reason for either vehicle right now.

well said. Although Honda's system is sort of the exact opposite of Toyota's.
--RE 1st Quote of Billiam and your reply: I don't really get where Billiam is coming from on this as why would 'feeling better about what they bought' enter into the consciousness or thought process of anyone posting to an auto forum, even as a byproduct of some other action. Your (Why?) short reply was insightful and made me laugh. I probably have a preoccupation with what I THINK AND FEEL THE YARIS STANDS FOR...which is mutually exclusive from the however more widely held view that Billiam expressed. --RE 1st Quote of me and your reply: I think the 2nd generation Prius is unique and easy to pick out in a crowd on the outside and is attractive, but as I am seeing mostly the interior when I am sitting in one, I have the feeling I stated and you quoted. The 1st generation Prius was monumentally ugly on the outside and the inside as well as sterile and looked as though a US Government bureaucrat designed it even though it is a Japanese car. The 2nd generation Prius lost the ugly exterior and on the interior lost the ugliness and the 'US Government bureaucratness' but it still feels sterile to me. The interior of the current S Class Mercedes Sedan also feels this way to me, whereas in contrast I think the interior of the current 5 Series BMW Sedan is fantastic. I think the Prius is aimed at people who want to get good gas mileage AND be coddled while they are getting good gas mileage (and I think the coddling is at least as important to them as the gas mileage) If they only cared about gas mileage (and the effects of high gas mileage) they could restore an original Honda Insight (it gets better gas mileage) or restore a Rabbit after converting it to run on cooking grease. While reading this part of your reply I was reminded of a thought I had a few months ago. I was at the St. John Town Center in Jacksonville Florida in April of this year and saw a Prius C that a dealer had arranged to leave on the plaza, away from any cars. I looked the car over and soon realized how loaded with options it was and wondered how the level of equipment would compare to a Prius Liftback Four or a Prius Liftback Five. I checked this out quickly today as best I could today by using the previous sentence re a search and one of the hits was an article I think some might find interesting.....'2012 Toyota Prius c Review - The Affordable 60 MPG Monster' at http://priuschat.com/threads/2012-to...the-affordable and I compared the equipment by level on the Prius C to the equipment by level on the Prius Liftback. I compared the base Prius C Four to the base Prius Liftback Four. The differences seem as follows: 1. The Liftback Four has an 8-way power driver seat with lumbar vs the C Four's 6-way manual driver seat with no lumbar, 2. The Liftback Four has the JBL Green Edge Speakers with amplifier and the C Four doesn't (the reviewer states though that he thinks the sound is better without these speakers)., 3. The Liftback Four as an auto dimming rear view mirror with a Homelink universal transceiver (for the garage door opener) and the C Four doesn't, 4. The Liftback Four has halogen headlights with Auto on/off and the C Four doesn't, and, on the other hand, 5. The C Four has Integrated Fog Lamps and the Liftback Four doesn't.......however, the base Liftback Four costs $5,005.00 dollars more than the base C Four....To me this largely brings the point back to a point I later made that you later quoted about how many people normally ride in a Prius Liftback and that a Liftback is only really needed if the passengers can't be comfortable re their number or size in a Yaris......Also, I look at the C as really a Yaris. In Japan it is called the Toyota Aqua, but in some other countries it is called the Yaris Hybrid. --RE 2nd Quote of me and your reply: The two reasons you stated are also the top two motivations I hear re buying a Prius Liftback. --RE 3rd Quote of me and your reply: Now, Now, be nice. There are some places in Texas that are 'a few centuries back', but those are much fewer and farther between than most people think. I like where I live. I love trees and have many trees around me. If one attempts to start toward Ron Paul's district via Hwy 288 part of that trip looks like a trip to the moon in my view. I have to have greenery around me. The general population fairly near me is predominantly non native (58 percent of the people are from other states and international locales).... and even though Montgomery County is (according to The Daily Caller) the 3rd most conservative county in the U.S., the people in my general area are intelligent and not 'lockstep' on everything. I haven't been here an inordinantly long time. I started looking in 2007 and moved here in 2008. I'm a 5th generation SF Bay Area native who has also lived in other parts of California, but I moved here from Marin County ('Prius and BMW land' LOL, and the 3rd most liberal county in the U.S). I have actually found people here around my new area here in Texas to be incredibly nice and down to earth and much happier with diversity than many people in the SF Bay Area even though many Bay Area people pride themselves on fostering diversity. --RE 4th Quote of me and your reply: I was originally coming from thinking that you and Billiam were both coming from thinking that the owners you were speaking about have the particular views they do because they can't afford a more expensive car than the Yaris and have collective chips on their shoulders re that. I was wrong, after rereading both of your posts I realized that neither of you was trying to say that. Except for the part about needing to save up (I don't), my view is pretty similar to that of Tooter (although if people started to get original Insight like numbers out of the Prius C (see article from PriusChat I mentioned),AND sufficient TRD options + a 6-speed manual were available (6 speed manual never will be), I might consider a Prius C when my Yaris dies. --Re 2nd Quote of Billiam and your reply: I completely agree with your first paragraph and would add that for some reason Consumer Reports seems to have a particular brand of disdain reserved for the Yaris.....and re a personal choice of a somewhat related type of vehicle, I'd go with the 6-Speed Manual 5-Door Subaru Impreza Hatchback. One of my relatives has one and she loves it. --Re 1st Quote of teddy and your reply: I haven't sat in, nor have I driven a Prius C, but I did like the body when I saw one displayed on that plaza in Florida.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #63
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Wow I'm surprised at the amount of hate for the Prius. It's not even in the same class as the Yaris, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

sub-compact=Prius c/Yaris
compact=Corolla/Matrix (for the sake of including the class in between)
mid-size=Prius/Camry/Prius v

The Yaris is a cheap econobox (which I happily own and would happily buy another). The Prius, across the line is a much more refined vehicle, IMO. For someone that does significant city driving and little highway driving it'd be easy to pick the Prius c over the Yaris both because of fuel savings and refinement.

The Prius across the line is a quieter, roomier car which is better on gas to boot. The Prius v just improves on all of that, this will be a strong contender for my next vehicle hands down.

Not everyone drives for the "driving experience" either. The HSD simply cannot have a manual transmission due to the nature of the drive, whereas the Honda hybrid system (like the CR-Z) can because the gasoline engine is always engaged in movement. Heck the Prius isn't even really a CVT, though it is classed as an e-CVT when required.

I love my Yaris, but I also love the Prius. If the Prius c were around when we got ours it would have been a tougher decision. Having a family now I can see us in something bigger, the Prius being a strong contender.
See your paragraph 5-----Okay, I'll stop shouting about the 6 speed manual given your eloquent explanation that it isn't possible.....Rats! (re impossible)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #64
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I can completely respect that.

I have no issues with the Yaris, as I own one. In fact, I own 2...a liftback and a sedan. So clearly being at least a bit frugal is important to me. And what others think of me because I drive a Yaris is obviously not important to me either. I just find it rather entertaining to listen to others bash the Prius as if the rest of the world somehow "looks up to the Yaris".

That said...this "rolling vagina" will probably be the next family Buggy for my bunch.

What do you feel bashing a Prius has to do with what the rest of the world thinks of the Yaris? I would have the same opinion re the Prius Liftback and the Prius V if I was hopping along on a pogo stick or driving a Veyron.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Just shoot me..........
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #66
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Why do we keep discussing the Prius?The Yaris is a better deal all the way around.
Maybe someone should start a Priusworld(Riding In A Vagina) Enthusiast Site.

I am not insulting anyone's intellegence,If you have one and are happy,great.
Probably because the Prius is a car that evokes strong and divergent opinions, not among all but among many.......and opinions are like...................
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #67
jay cobbs

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan 4 speed auto
Arrow Dont forget the SEDAN YARIS...check my blogs. You may never look at a prius again.

The yaris sedan. Its the secrect love child between a camry and a prius. look at 2010-2011 models the features are almost the same( the importain ones ). look in here for real info from owners like me and the real scoop. The sedan is getting harder to find only because the close specs to a prius inside is nicer and roomy too. and YOU CAN drive one free at a nearby Hertz sales lot and look at hertz.com before you get there. make it a easy ride for 2 hours.. you heard me....awesome. they have every toyota,nissan and others. no salesman just you and the car. read the awesome mpg with sedan....read my blogs....toyotas best sedan value and looks like a camry.

Last edited by jay cobbs; 06-11-2012 at 01:27 AM.
jay cobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #68
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
--RE 1st Quote of Billiam and your reply: I don't really get where Billiam is coming from on this as why would 'feeling better about what they bought' enter into the consciousness or thought process of anyone posting to an auto forum, even as a byproduct of some other action. Your (Why?) short reply was insightful and made me laugh. I probably have a preoccupation with what I THINK AND FEEL THE YARIS STANDS FOR...which is mutually exclusive from the however more widely held view that Billiam expressed. --RE 1st Quote of me and your reply: I think the 2nd generation Prius is unique and easy to pick out in a crowd on the outside and is attractive, but as I am seeing mostly the interior when I am sitting in one, I have the feeling I stated and you quoted. The 1st generation Prius was monumentally ugly on the outside and the inside as well as sterile and looked as though a US Government bureaucrat designed it even though it is a Japanese car. The 2nd generation Prius lost the ugly exterior and on the interior lost the ugliness and the 'US Government bureaucratness' but it still feels sterile to me. The interior of the current S Class Mercedes Sedan also feels this way to me, whereas in contrast I think the interior of the current 5 Series BMW Sedan is fantastic. I think the Prius is aimed at people who want to get good gas mileage AND be coddled while they are getting good gas mileage (and I think the coddling is at least as important to them as the gas mileage) If they only cared about gas mileage (and the effects of high gas mileage) they could restore an original Honda Insight (it gets better gas mileage) or restore a Rabbit after converting it to run on cooking grease. While reading this part of your reply I was reminded of a thought I had a few months ago. I was at the St. John Town Center in Jacksonville Florida in April of this year and saw a Prius C that a dealer had arranged to leave on the plaza, away from any cars. I looked the car over and soon realized how loaded with options it was and wondered how the level of equipment would compare to a Prius Liftback Four or a Prius Liftback Five. I checked this out quickly today as best I could today by using the previous sentence re a search and one of the hits was an article I think some might find interesting.....'2012 Toyota Prius c Review - The Affordable 60 MPG Monster' at http://priuschat.com/threads/2012-to...the-affordable and I compared the equipment by level on the Prius C to the equipment by level on the Prius Liftback. I compared the base Prius C Four to the base Prius Liftback Four. The differences seem as follows: 1. The Liftback Four has an 8-way power driver seat with lumbar vs the C Four's 6-way manual driver seat with no lumbar, 2. The Liftback Four has the JBL Green Edge Speakers with amplifier and the C Four doesn't (the reviewer states though that he thinks the sound is better without these speakers)., 3. The Liftback Four as an auto dimming rear view mirror with a Homelink universal transceiver (for the garage door opener) and the C Four doesn't, 4. The Liftback Four has halogen headlights with Auto on/off and the C Four doesn't, and, on the other hand, 5. The C Four has Integrated Fog Lamps and the Liftback Four doesn't.......however, the base Liftback Four costs $5,005.00 dollars more than the base C Four....To me this largely brings the point back to a point I later made that you later quoted about how many people normally ride in a Prius Liftback and that a Liftback is only really needed if the passengers can't be comfortable re their number or size in a Yaris......Also, I look at the C as really a Yaris. In Japan it is called the Toyota Aqua, but in some other countries it is called the Yaris Hybrid. --RE 2nd Quote of me and your reply: The two reasons you stated are also the top two motivations I hear re buying a Prius Liftback. --RE 3rd Quote of me and your reply: Now, Now, be nice. There are some places in Texas that are 'a few centuries back', but those are much fewer and farther between than most people think. I like where I live. I love trees and have many trees around me. If one attempts to start toward Ron Paul's district via Hwy 288 part of that trip looks like a trip to the moon in my view. I have to have greenery around me. The general population fairly near me is predominantly non native (58 percent of the people are from other states and international locales).... and even though Montgomery County is (according to The Daily Caller) the 3rd most conservative county in the U.S., the people in my general area are intelligent and not 'lockstep' on everything. I haven't been here an inordinantly long time. I started looking in 2007 and moved here in 2008. I'm a 5th generation SF Bay Area native who has also lived in other parts of California, but I moved here from Marin County ('Prius and BMW land' LOL, and the 3rd most liberal county in the U.S). I have actually found people here around my new area here in Texas to be incredibly nice and down to earth and much happier with diversity than many people in the SF Bay Area even though many Bay Area people pride themselves on fostering diversity. --RE 4th Quote of me and your reply: I was originally coming from thinking that you and Billiam were both coming from thinking that the owners you were speaking about have the particular views they do because they can't afford a more expensive car than the Yaris and have collective chips on their shoulders re that. I was wrong, after rereading both of your posts I realized that neither of you was trying to say that. Except for the part about needing to save up (I don't), my view is pretty similar to that of Tooter (although if people started to get original Insight like numbers out of the Prius C (see article from PriusChat I mentioned),AND sufficient TRD options + a 6-speed manual were available (6 speed manual never will be), I might consider a Prius C when my Yaris dies. --Re 2nd Quote of Billiam and your reply: I completely agree with your first paragraph and would add that for some reason Consumer Reports seems to have a particular brand of disdain reserved for the Yaris.....and re a personal choice of a somewhat related type of vehicle, I'd go with the 6-Speed Manual 5-Door Subaru Impreza Hatchback. One of my relatives has one and she loves it. --Re 1st Quote of teddy and your reply: I haven't sat in, nor have I driven a Prius C, but I did like the body when I saw one displayed on that plaza in Florida.
Oh, no... it's THE WALL OF TEXT!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #69
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Indeed. And I read it all too!!

Seriously though I meant the thing about Texas in the best way possible. The people I have met from Texas are the nicest, kindest, most fun to be around people I have ever known. And I totally agree about the diversity part as well. Liberals still think about it, they still group people by what makes them different. It is always seems to be in their minds.

I still don't get that.

Living in Mass and then in orlando I am surrounded by people who were so surrounded by far left ideology they literally could not comprehend someone thinking differently. I mention anything that doesn't fit their worldview and they respond with shock and horror. I remember in college I had an entire class of people staring at me stunned when I made fun of the Kennedy's. I just can't take it. It is to the point where if someone does it I just stop talking to them and cut them out of my life totally.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #70
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
I agree with why? I've never met anyone from Texas I didn't like.

There's good and bad people of all sorts but I haven't found one from Texas haha