Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
gwswindale

Drives: Yaris T Spirit (2007)
Yaris T Spirit (2007) 'Clicking' Steering Concern

Last month I bought a 2007 Yaris T Spirit (only 12k miles on the clock) and it's been great. But yesterday, on a long-ish journey, after about 50 miles I noticed the steering started feeling awkward. It felt like it was 'clicking' when turning the steering wheel past the centre point - ie when facing roughly straight. It wasn't making making a noise that I could hear, but I could feel it clearly through the steering wheel.

Took it for a short drive this morning and it wasn't evident this time, however I wonder it it only occurs on longer journeys. Checked tyre pressures too and they're fine.

Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome!
gwswindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwswindale View Post
Last month I bought a 2007 Yaris T Spirit (only 12k miles on the clock) and it's been great. But yesterday, on a long-ish journey, after about 50 miles I noticed the steering started feeling awkward. It felt like it was 'clicking' when turning the steering wheel past the centre point - ie when facing roughly straight. It wasn't making making a noise that I could hear, but I could feel it clearly through the steering wheel.

Took it for a short drive this morning and it wasn't evident this time, however I wonder it it only occurs on longer journeys. Checked tyre pressures too and they're fine.

Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome!
12k miles, or do you mean 12k kilometers or a 12k mile equivalent of kilometers? No matter which is the case, that is obviously very low mileage for a 2007. Whenever I've heard 'clicking' on a car of mine, it has been the CV joints that needed replacing.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
gwswindale

Drives: Yaris T Spirit (2007)
Thanks for getting back to me. It is 12k miles, I should have clarified.

Took it to my local garage at the weekend and he doesn't think it's CV joints. Although we couldn't get the car to replicate the issue on that occasion, the problem is so subtle he didn't think it would ve CV joints which are likely to make lots of noise when turning a sharp corner for example.

I'll take it to a dealership this week and report back in case anybody else has a similar problem.
gwswindale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
click, clicking, steering, t spirit, yaris