Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
AdamDavis

Drives: Yaris Diesel 2007
About time for a throttle body clean?

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.4 Diesel that has done 183,000 miles and was wondering if it is about time that I cleaned the throttle body with my next service on the car. I have owned the car for 2 years, 40,000 miles and have never touched the throttle body. The closest I have got is cleaning the MAF sensor which was a bit dirty.

The car does not have a rough idle but it does feel sluggish, however I put that down to it being a diesel, which may or may not be correct.

So I was just wondering if people think it's worth doing and if so, is there any relearn procedure for Toyota's? Or will a good drive sort it out afterwards?

Thank

Ps. I have cleaned a throttle body before, so I am familiar with the process. Just not on my car.
AdamDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Not sure about your engine but the process was fairly easy on my 2SZFE.
Mine was pretty dirty so I cleaned it up during one big maintenance. The engine felt better afterwards indeed but there was a number of actions taken (cleaning MAF, changing plugs, oil, cleaning PCV) simultaneously so I cannot say how significant the throttle body cleaning was.
There was no need to reset anything (well I had to reset one error code because I forgot to unplug battery before disconnecting MAF). To my knowledge throttle body re-adjusts itself after the computer learns the new mixture ratios after a few (dozens) kilometers.
Not sure what TB you have cleaned before so just let me repeat that you need to open the TB with ignition ON and by stepping on gas pedal. Do not try to move it with hand. But I guess you know this. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote