Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #127
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I put mine just above the speedometer, slightly turned towards me. I might turn it even more at an angle towards me to keep the people that drive with me from staring at it. Everyone thinks it is cool and wants to get one.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #128
Cosworth

Drives: S sedan
It seems that the only compatible vehicles are those with OBDII with electric throttle.

The reason being that my 2005 Honda w/ cable throttle is NOT compatible with ecometer, but the 2006 w/ electric throttle is. (No changes in body or any other mechanicals between '05 & '06.)

-SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherAsian View Post
fail on my part... or is it?

why the CAN bus requirement? my car is not listed in the compatible vehicles, nor the entire generation, and i ran into this CAN bus protocol.

in other words, will it work on my 2003 camry, or just the newer cars with the CAN bus OBD port? i'm assuming my car is not CAN bus.

wtf. standard obdII is dying?

edit: fail indeed. doesn't work for my old ass obdII camry. haha. nice talk anyways.
Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #129
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
^honda also switched most of their vehicles mid-2005 (for MY 2006) to CAN-bus protocol from standard OBDII protocol, due to the nationwide requirement in 2008 for all vehicles sold in U.S. to be can-bus.

i think your case is similar to mine. it's less related to whether the car is DBW or not. DBW just happened to come at the same time.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #130
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I had a VA appointment in Cleveland today. Normally about a hour drive. I decided to try combining using my new ecometer with the new option of fuel economy driving directions. The nuvi picked most direct route with minor changes. Using the new combo added a extra 1/2 hour to get to the VA. It seemed that the nuvi expected me to be using a device like the ecometer. My projected arrival time was just 2 minutes off. I got beeped several time as people drove around me. Maybe I should get a hypermiler bumper sticker.

HYPERMILER IN TRAINING
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #131
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I finally decided on a mounting spot. I permanently mounted the Ecometer here with the two screws supplied. I also was able to ditch the rubber gasket in doing this, which I think makes it look cleaner. I also made a small notch in the cluster trim to allow the cable to get through and allow everything to still fit snug.

And as I said earlier in the thread, I also cut a little bit of the plastic off by the OBD-II port so the wire wasn't all pushed and bend awkwardly.

Standby for horrible cell phone pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by Sodium Duck; 07-18-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Sodium Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #132
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Despite the "horrible cell phone pics", it looks like a clean install.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #133
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Yeah, I got mine the day before yesterday and installed it where gammaray did (post #68). Pretty clean looking and it's sweet for training the foot to lighten up (especially when taking off from a light). For the price, I think it's a must have.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #134
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I am sold on this product if everyone can reassure me that its accurate and works even when ur not moving. (as in does it go down even when ur not moving)

I really want to know the exact mpg im getting or close to exact at any given moment. And this seems like a good product for my yaris
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #135
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
yes it works as long as the car is running. meaning you really see how much your mpg suffers when just idling, i was so amazed, it drops faster than DFCO gains it back.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #136
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
+1
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #137
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

We don't have to program this thing any, correct? It's simply plug and play? My mileage is still 2mpg over my calculations. Then there are those posts about the car possibly being calibrated for bigger tires than I have...?

Here's some better shots of my setup. Works great for me.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #138
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
After you program in the size of your engine (4 Liter is the default), you can tweak it plus or minus from 100% sensitivity to match you pump and calculator mpg. Did yours come with the instructions, SD?
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #139
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Yes it did. I read that, and kind of half remember it coming up when I first plugged it in. I've left it unplugged for a couple days then plugged it back in, but I haven't been able to get that initial setup back. I must be set on 4L still...?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #140
gammaray

Drives: 09 3D Liftback
After each fill up. Go to average mpg and push the right stalk until it resets. And you will drive away with 1 to 5 mpg for a bit until it gets up to an average mpg. Leave it for the whole tank, and you will see that its insanely accurate. At least thats my scenario.
gammaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #141
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Will try that on my next fill up - thanks!

Also, did you guys know that if you hold down both stalks at the same time (or something like that) there is actually a dimmer control with 3 levels of brightness?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #142
gammaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Will try that on my next fill up - thanks!

Also, did you guys know that if you hold down both stalks at the same time (or something like that) there is actually a dimmer control with 3 levels of brightness?
I did, but good thing to mention for others. Also, for those driving a manual. Try pressing in the clutch on a downhill grade in Instantaneous mode while letting off the accelerator. I saw 363 mpg for a sec or two.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #143
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

That reminds me of something I've been thinking about. Those with a Scangauge -- when DFCO kicks in they see 999MPG. For me, I usually see 150ish something, it just changes. I wonder how the Ecometer is actually calculating mileage...? To me, it clearly seems to be different. I duno, I'm a little buzzed.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #144
gammaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
That reminds me of something I've been thinking about. Those with a Scangauge -- when DFCO kicks in they see 999MPG. For me, I usually see 150ish something, it just changes. I wonder how the Ecometer is actually calculating mileage...? To me, it clearly seems to be different. I duno, I'm a little buzzed.
Same here... a little buzzed, and wondering. Cause when I let off the accelerator without depressing the clutch I get around 260 mpg, which should engage DFCO, and when I depress the clutch, which should disengage DFCO, the gauge runs much higher.