Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
TYaris2010

Drives: 2010 Yaris
trunk lock won't turn w/ key - 2010 Yaris Sedan

used 2010 Yaris, 50k miles, car is relatively new to me.

Putting key into trunk lock, it will not turn (OEM key). As I haven't used the trunk, it must've been this way when I bought it but I didn't check when buying.

Sprayed Some PB Penetrant (similar to WD 40) to clean out gunk or whatnot, still no luck. Did this a few times.

Anyone else have this issue? how did you solve it?

Car is not old so I cannot believe that the cylinder is worn out. I am guessing the prior owner used the trunk release in the car versus the key on the trunk? so it got dirty over time & seized? or?

Any tips appreciated. Do not want to pull and install a new cylinder unless I have to.

Door locks work fine.

Have considered trying graphite in the lock but as of yet have not.
TYaris2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Same thing happened to me years ago when I bought my car. Don't ask me why but Toyota's had a different key for the trunk than the ignition. They obviously didn't give you it when you bought the car. Just used the latch inside the car and you're good to go
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYaris2010 View Post
used 2010 Yaris, 50k miles, car is relatively new to me.

Putting key into trunk lock, it will not turn (OEM key). As I haven't used the trunk, it must've been this way when I bought it but I didn't check when buying.

Sprayed Some PB Penetrant (similar to WD 40) to clean out gunk or whatnot, still no luck. Did this a few times.

Anyone else have this issue? how did you solve it?

Car is not old so I cannot believe that the cylinder is worn out. I am guessing the prior owner used the trunk release in the car versus the key on the trunk? so it got dirty over time & seized? or?

Any tips appreciated. Do not want to pull and install a new cylinder unless I have to.

Door locks work fine.

Have considered trying graphite in the lock but as of yet have not.
My '06 and '08 (both older when purchased) had lock cylinders that would not turn due to contamination. It is not so big a job to take the lock mechanism out and clean it. There is a snap ring that is removed and the guts of the cyinder slides out. The one on my '08 was seized so well that I had to put the body of the cylinder in a vice and wiggle the shaft back and forth little by little until it was freed. I then took the guts out, flushed it a number of times with contact cleaner, until it ran clear. Then I lubricated it well, reassembled it and it's worked fine since. Every once in a while, I spray a bit of electronics cleaner in followed by a lubricant.

Another member posted step-by-step instructions with pics here on the site.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
TYaris2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Same thing happened to me years ago when I bought my car. Don't ask me why but Toyota's had a different key for the trunk than the ignition. They obviously didn't give you it when you bought the car. Just used the latch inside the car and you're good to go
just to clarify, you're stating that every Yaris has a different key for the trunk and ignition?

Are you sure your rear lock cylinder wasn't replaced creating the 'second key' for you?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
TYaris2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
My '06 and '08 (both older when purchased) had lock cylinders that would not turn due to contamination. It is not so big a job to take the lock mechanism out and clean it. There is a snap ring that is removed and the guts of the cyinder slides out. The one on my '08 was seized so well that I had to put the body of the cylinder in a vice and wiggle the shaft back and forth little by little until it was freed. I then took the guts out, flushed it a number of times with contact cleaner, until it ran clear. Then I lubricated it well, reassembled it and it's worked fine since. Every once in a while, I spray a bit of electronics cleaner in followed by a lubricant.

Another member posted step-by-step instructions with pics here on the site.
thanks, sounds like a potential plan. I was hoping to just spray something through the entry hole so I didn't have to dissemble it or, worst case, replace w/ a new cylinder with a different key. This car isn't that old, I'm guessing it froze to to not being used.

not sure where the step by step would be located on the site....
Old 04-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
just to clarify, you're stating that every Yaris has a different key for the trunk and ignition?

Are you sure your rear lock cylinder wasn't replaced creating the 'second key' for you?
Not everyone per say, just certain older models. My wife's old 2002 Echo had a different key and I've heard about this from other members who have had older Toyota's.

I just assumed that this was the same with my 2008 Yaris. Its possible my rear lock is just seized but I'm guessing it just isn't the correct key
Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
thanks, sounds like a potential plan. I was hoping to just spray something through the entry hole so I didn't have to dissemble it or, worst case, replace w/ a new cylinder with a different key. This car isn't that old, I'm guessing it froze to to not being used.

I'll see if I can find the DIY. I, too, tried just spraying stuff in an attempt to free it up. It did not work. This is a fairly easy job. The hardest part is removing the plastic inner hatch cover, but with a little patience, not too bad. A new lock cylinder will cost you a lot and you have the inconvenience of two keys.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:

DISCLAIMER: The DIY below is for a hatchback. I haven't looked at a sedan at all, but I expect it's similar at least in terms of the cylinder.

Try this by member eepp:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59514

Old 04-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
DISCLAIMER:I haven't looked at a sedan at all, but I expect it's similar at least in terms of the cylinder.
They are different in that the sedan does not have a thumb button.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
TYaris2010

Quote:
I'll see if I can find the DIY. I, too, tried just spraying stuff in an attempt to free it up. It did not work. This is a fairly easy job. The hardest part is removing the plastic inner hatch cover, but with a little patience, not too bad. A new lock cylinder will cost you a lot and you have the inconvenience of two keys.
Thanks.

I pulled the lock- removing that carpet trim to get to it can be iffy....its supposed to 'look nice' so didnt' want to mar it up.

Two 10mm nuts to remove the lock, pull the little c-clip thing to free it from the trunk safety actuator thing.

Sprayed tons of PB Blaster directly into it....it still will not turn. Dunno whats up. Maybe this DID have a different key and dealer I got it used from (someone traded this in) didn't give them the key.

I see OEM ones for $50-60 but yea then trunk has different key.

It is important to have key access as the release lever by the drivers seat....they can fail, then you have no access to the trunk....
Old 04-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
TYaris2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Not everyone per say, just certain older models. My wife's old 2002 Echo had a different key and I've heard about this from other members who have had older Toyota's.

I just assumed that this was the same with my 2008 Yaris. Its possible my rear lock is just seized but I'm guessing it just isn't the correct key
thanks. so far cleaning it is yielding no solution. Maybe this did have a different key for some reason, dunno.

I know I don't want to solely depend on the release lever by the drivers seat....they can fail. Plus if I ever sell the car, having the keys is kinda important. People don't want hassle buying used (well, many dont).

Looking at buying a new cylinder....OEM if price is ok.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Maybe it is a valet key.

My 2007 Sedan came with two kind of keys. On a model with no electric lock or immobilizer.
One refereed to as the Master Key. Works in all locations.
Other one refereed to as a Sub Key (Valet Key) works in all locations except the trunk. Supposed to keep things in the trunk safer. If I turn the trunk lock counter clockwise it disables the trunk pop lever in the car and the valet key will not open the trunk.

If you have the owner manual. It should say if your 2010 has Master and Sub Keys.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
They are different in that the sedan does not have a thumb button.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Usually the valet key will have a gray plastic head, while the normal key is black.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #15
Grindstone

Drives: Yaris 2007 Hatch
I have the same issue on my 07 hatch. I've tried WD40 and graphite, but no luck. Have to manually pull the latch using that rectangular hole.

Guess I'm going to have to take it apart. I've tried taking off the the plastic cover for the hatch, but it feels like I'm going to snap some clips.
Grindstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:16 AM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindstone View Post
I've tried taking off the the plastic cover for the hatch, but it feels like I'm going to snap some clips.
The hatch pins are tight. They can make quite a pop/snap sound when releasing and some may stay in the metal door frame. I thought I was breaking them too, but none did actually break.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
I just bought a used 2011 Sedan. The key works for the doors, starts the car AND opens the trunk
rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote