Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
jigershah
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris 2001 automatic
problem with acceleration

I am new to this forum so firstly thank you in advance :)

my wife has a toyota yaris 2001 model automatic transmission and since yesterday the car when reaches 30mph starts playing up. When accelerating further, the revs go up but the acceleration does not work. When take the foot off the gas pedal and let it slow down and then gradually accelerate it goes up. Over a journey of lets 10 mins, this gradually leads to a point where acceleration does not work at times event at speeds of 15-17. Engine revs up (rpm goes up as a result of putting down the foot on gas) but car does not accelerate.

I have to admit, we have not looked after it well enough. we havent serviced it regularly. since last month of so, there is also another problem when the car starts in the morning, the belt makes squeaky noise. When the car is running at speed the noise goes away but comes back if car is slowed or stopped.

When I checked the oil levels, they were low so have topped up but both problems persists.

Any guidance will help as its a very old car and uptill now has served us amazing so wondering if there is an easy fix.

Many thanks again in anticipation of a resolution guidance please.
jigershah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
Secretblend

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Could be that the catalytic converter is plugged up. If it is, the engine would have lost of power while trying to accelerate.
Secretblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Any check engine light?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
PVBBhandyman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Sorry I have a manual transmission so I do not know what selections you have. Does it only act this way in D (drive)? Have you tried it in other gears? On the surface to me it sounds like clutch packs in the transmission are shot and slipping. You said oils so I am assuming the transmission fluid was low. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if I am correct you need the transmission replaced or rebuilt.
PVBBhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote