Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
OP: I completely disagree! My Yaris is the second best car that I've owned in the snow (granted I'm a lil further south from you but we get a pretty good amount of snow in the winter) second only to my Suzuki Sidekick. I drove my sidekick in a 4 foot blizzard with no problems .... but of course that had 4 weel drive!

As far as ice is concerned No one can drive on ice not a Yaris or a Jeep (maybe a tank )

I love driving in the snow because I know and understand how to drive in the snow... and for me the Yaris has proven to be a very dependable snow car for me!

Btw OP: I wasn't saying that you don't know how to drive in the snow
I mean you do live in Canada! lol
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i honestly think a lot of why it sucks in the snow is the tires...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #21
2005rs

Drives: 2005 Echo Rs
maybe we should have a yaris echo meet here and compare tires...
Attached Images

2005rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
alan1828

Drives: 2009 Vitz RS
Send a message via ICQ to alan1828 Send a message via MSN to alan1828 Send a message via Yahoo to alan1828
In winter I usually have something in the truck for the weight and always have a full tank, that being said its quite heavy so I don't fly or drift off the road. My Yaris is also lowered with 15" rim and winter wheelies "Dunlop" and no no its not the tennis ball rubber...
alan1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
I'm anxious to try out a better brand of tire next winter already. It might very well be that this particular tire absolutely sucks in our winter driving conditions. I can honestly say it's no driver error, as when you're driving in a straight line at 40-50KM/H max and the car looses control and starts to spin in circles, there isn't much that be done to prevent anything at that point. If anyone is looking to buy cheap winter tires next season, I'll have some up for sale! :)
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i have winterforce on the yaris and blizzaks on the aveo....HUGE difference in grip and handling
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005rs View Post
maybe we should have a yaris echo meet here and compare tires...
I ilke it, except you're not across the street lol
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #26
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
I ilke it, except you're not across the street lol
it would be worth the drive
Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
2005rs

Drives: 2005 Echo Rs
it's getting a little late in the year to organize something other than a drive around and coffee/lunch
right now the ice is smooth enough one could do some impromptu autocross (away from the ice road and fish huts of course)
of course, everyone knows that your insurance company, caa, and your spouse will have nothing to do with this
2005rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
it would be worth the drive
Funny, I went to Glen Eden today and saw the Acton sign on the off-ramp hahah

White_rice, FWIW, my WS-50's on the front are almost at the wear bars now, and they're nowhere nearly as sticky as they were before, but they still get the job done. The rears that have around half-depth left still grip fine, and I can switch lanes on a slushy/snowy highway at over 100 without much worrying.
I just stay in the gas :D
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #29
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Funny, I went to Glen Eden today and saw the Acton sign on the off-ramp hahah
i have no idea what the relevance of acton is.....other then y the hell would they put the action sign all the way down by glen eden

as for glen eden how was it? i love going boarding there, its way better and cheaper then hockly and they are about the same distance away. have u ever been to the caledon skii club? apparently conditions there are always top notch.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #30
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I haven't posted here in a long time but thing the Yaris is awesome in the snow.
Did 2 snow rallies in one and some ice racing (Ice X). Just needed some studded tires and the car would have been faster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uUY76O4OM
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #31
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
As far as ice is concerned No one can drive on ice not a Yaris or a Jeep (maybe a tank )
I think with some Studded tires the Yaris can do very well on ice.
Especially on a frozen lake! That's all ice! LOL.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #32
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Another little story about a stage that we were late for the start. My navigator and I were in the Yaris and following a 2011 Sti.
We both had a blast driving 9/10ths through the back snow covered roads just trying to get to the next stage! At the end of it just before I started my session, he came up to me and said that was a terrific drive the little Yaris did. He said his Subie was twisting and turning and the Yaris just kept on sticking to the end of the Subie! He was impressed. Mind you, I had a bit of a handful but with the suspension redone for that rally, it did handle very well.

My setup was fairly sitff in the front (for the Yumps and bumps) and the rear had the swaybar (aftermarket) taken out and the rear shocks adjusted to what the stock valve dampening is for OEM, so it was much softer. The natural tendancy on tarmac for the car was to understeer and just a tap with the left foot on the brakes would help to neutralize the understeer and dig in the front wheels. Very little did I get oversteer unless I provoked the rear to come around. Brake hard in a straight line before the turns helped as well so you weren't fishtailing it. When you slide it slows you down and your times dramatically decrease. It is more fun to do it that way, but a straighter faster line is best unless you need to scrub off speed. I've been driving on the cheapest set of snow tires I could get from Canadian Tire (Goodyear Nordics) and they work great in the soft stuff. Terrible on ice. While competitors were sliding into snow banks (mostly BMW's and Subies and minis) we never "offed" and finished every stage. A bit slow, but finished mid pack.

If you are having trouble with the rear end from sliding, just remember to go slow into the corners and accellerate out. If you start to fishtail, put a little gas on the throttle and a quick correction of the steering will help, but be smooth about it. With a little throttle it will pull you out of the fish tails. Just try not to over correct it.

You can see it in the video below @ 1:11 mark in our Production class Honda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05m7ZfeHwEA
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
funny i think the yaris is one of the best front wheel drive cars i have even been in for winter weather. i find even in a slide its easy to recover vs other cars i have driven. mind u, at the same time this is only the second car i have driven with stability control and i love it. the trac and stability control is amazing and much more advanced and much more advanced then the system installed on the kia soul. that is a bad car in winter.

i did drive the first part of winter with OEM all seasons but since i do a lot of night driving and i do alot of km per year i decided to get winter tires and to be honest i have never felt so safe. before my yaris, if there was too much snow out i wouldnt go out but now i love it.

like today for example, spent the evenning out in the country driving around in the fresh snow
I have the traction and stability control as well, running 195/60/15 winter tires, and I have had no issues whatsoever. I drive about 70km a day for work, and never had a problem with the snow.

And we've had a crap load of snow this year to boot! One of the worst winters around here probably in at least 4 years.

-Matt
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I have had better and worse snow cars.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrym28 View Post
I have the traction and stability control as well, running 195/60/15 winter tires, and I have had no issues whatsoever. I drive about 70km a day for work, and never had a problem with the snow.

And we've had a crap load of snow this year to boot! One of the worst winters around here probably in at least 4 years.

-Matt
Tire brand?
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #36
Alysia

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback LE
Just drove my new yaris in its first storm with me (just got it a week ago) and while it pulled a little, the snow as about half a foot deep, it was no worse then my oldsmobile alero that preceded him. The alero was a much larger heavier car as well.
Alysia is offline   Reply With Quote