Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
eseriestv

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2010
Help with P0963

Hello folks!

Im having a trouble with my vitz 2010 bought from Japan.

It has built in a CVT transmission and I got the following code with the scanner:

P0963 Pressure control solenoid "A" control circuit high.

Why is that happening? And could somebody please help me with this, since the mechanics here have only suggestions but no real idea how to fix this.

THank you
eseriestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
P0963 Pressure Control Solenoid "A" Control Circuit High (Shift Solenoid Valve DS1)

Using shift solenoid DS1 (inflow to the primary pulley) and shift solenoid DS2 (outflow
from the primary pulley), the ECM controls the line pressure and fluid volume input and
output to the primary pulley according to the vehicle speed and accelerator pedal angle.
As a fail-safe function, if a solenoid is shorted or open, the ECM stops current to the
faulty solenoid.

According the the service manual the cause can be:

1. Open in shift control solenoid DS1 circuit

2. Continuously variable transaxle assembly

3. ECM

The solenoid is located within the internals of the CVT. I don't see it broken down in the parts catalog, so it may not be something that can be replaced.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
If it's showing a code for high pressure? Was the CVT serviced? overfilled?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
If it's showing a code for high pressure? Was the CVT serviced? overfilled?
Not high pressure - High (out of range) voltage on solenoid supply circuit, which indicates an open circuit to the solenoid coil.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
eseriestv

Gosh!

I was reading also, and says its high voltage on that solenoid. Is not possible to replace that solenoid?

I also noticed the check engine light shows up mostly in low speed or when braking, but when I speed up the engine is working as if it were in safe mode or when warming up, no matter what the speed is. Sometimes the light is on and sometimes dont. But of course I understand something is wrong with the vehicle.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseriestv View Post
Gosh!

I was reading also, and says its high voltage on that solenoid. Is not possible to replace that solenoid?

I also noticed the check engine light shows up mostly in low speed or when braking, but when I speed up the engine is working as if it were in safe mode or when warming up, no matter what the speed is. Sometimes the light is on and sometimes dont. But of course I understand something is wrong with the vehicle.
I would check the connectors that plug into the CVT, since the problem is intermittent.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
eseriestv

Thank you CTSCott I sent the car to repair.

I will ask for connector's check before anything else. But the mechanic said he needs to unmount the transmission to access the valve body where the solenoids are located.

I hope this can be easily fixed. Car has no warranty because its imported and had the steering wheel to the right originally.

Tnx anyway
Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
eseriestv

I have checked the car today. The issue seems to be fixed, maybe was something bad connected altought my mechanic says he repaired some sensor and stuff he cant explain.

Anyway, he's charging about $400 mostly for hand work I believe. Seems okay for me since I tought this couldnt be fixed easily, what do you think?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I have checked the car today. The issue seems to be fixed, maybe was something bad connected altought my mechanic says he repaired some sensor and stuff he cant explain.

Anyway, he's charging about $400 mostly for hand work I believe. Seems okay for me since I tought this couldnt be fixed easily, what do you think?
If it is working fine and it doesn't come back, I would say that isn't a bad price. Do you know if he actually opened the CVT, or did he just fiddle around on the outside of it?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
eseriestv

He is giving me warranty for his job, said the problem wont come back. we tested the car at different conditions and seems okay, the light dont turn on again like the time I only reset the light

He told me he worked in the valve body part, I believe thats in the down part right above the pan to remove the oil. But I will ask again and comment so other users might use the topic.

EDIT: I dont know if is possible to buy this transmission, but how much could cost the same CVT K410 ???
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
He is giving me warranty for his job, said the problem wont come back. we tested the car at different conditions and seems okay, the light dont turn on again like the time I only reset the light

He told me he worked in the valve body part, I believe thats in the down part right above the pan to remove the oil. But I will ask again and comment so other users might use the topic.

EDIT: I dont know if is possible to buy this transmission, but how much could cost the same CVT K410 ???

Here's a link to one for sale for $5293

http://quickparter.com/oem-parts/3040052040.html

If you ever really had to replace it your best bet would probably be to buy a used one directly from Japan.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
eseriestv

Thanks for the link my friend. So far its good. Im gonna test in a road trip this weekend, I hope the fix last cause I just imported the car and dont want to sell it this soon.