Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
jerome
Toyota

Drives: '11 5dr/5spd yaris
air suspension thread

i'm looking to lower my yaris. with past cars, i've gone the springs/shocks route. and the coilover route.

but this time i'm seriously considering the air route.

while i don't track my car, i enjoy improved handling and the aesthetics of being low. because i live in chicago, i fight through potholes and construction on a daily basis.

luckily for me, my yaris is more or less a weekend car. in the year i've owned the car, i've barely put over 4,000 miles on the thing.

having an air suspension seems beneficial for days i'd like to pile four in my car - but still be low enough when i'm riding on my own. or on smoother roads - or out in the suburbs.

but how does performance favor with air? are there even kits for our cars? (i drive an '11 5-door/5-speed)

i probably have a ton more questions but would maybe like to start to get the ball rolling... anybody with any insight or even personal experience is appreciated!
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
check this thread out. most recent member. Send them a PM, I am sure they will help you.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39844
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
jerome
Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
check this thread out. most recent member. Send them a PM, I am sure they will help you.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39844
thanks! i'll shoot a pm over.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
From AirRunner. Scroll down to the very bottom. Complete bolt-on kit.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
jerome
Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
From AirRunner. Scroll down to the very bottom. Complete bolt-on kit.
thanks! any idea how reputable the company is?

also, as far as reliability goes - any input?

it's nice to know there's a company that does a direct bolt-on for our cars, though.

update: so, i've just googled air runner and it looks like these guys offer a quality product. going through other forums it looks like people have nothing but good things to say (except for the price)

$3k for the kit, i wonder how much someone would charge for the install...

Last edited by jerome; 06-14-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
DINOeggxo

Drives: white yaris hatchback.
My install was $1000 but that's because I knew people that knew people that did it on the side for me. I'm wondering if I can find a shop that's near you I just recently joined vwvortex due to their large air suspension peeps and most of them run airlift. I'm glad I went to a shop due to me wanting to hide everything and I'll link you to it later once I'm on a actual computer so you can see different set ups and how they are installed
DINOeggxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
DINOeggxo

maybe we should start a thread on who has air and what product they have and contact and pictures of set up and so on.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-me-your-trunk

good thread to see what others did with their set up and you can get ideas if you are going to go this route.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

808_Yaris and his AirRunner setup
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
jerome
Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOeggxo View Post
My install was $1000 but that's because I knew people that knew people that did it on the side for me. I'm wondering if I can find a shop that's near you I just recently joined vwvortex due to their large air suspension peeps and most of them run airlift. I'm glad I went to a shop due to me wanting to hide everything and I'll link you to it later once I'm on a actual computer so you can see different set ups and how they are installed
thank you SO much for all your help already!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
jerome
Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOeggxo View Post
maybe we should start a thread on who has air and what product they have and contact and pictures of set up and so on.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-me-your-trunk

good thread to see what others did with their set up and you can get ideas if you are going to go this route.
good idea

Quote:
oh wow, didn't know he was a member here
Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
the air runner kit looks nice but doesn't look like it goes super low, but it may just be the wheels on the car.

my girlfriend(dinoegg) said she messaged you. I'm sure there is a way to get lower and get better stuff for about the same price or possibly less. and there might possibly be options if you already have coil overs change over to an air ride setup for less!! for example that air runner only has 1 compressor, she has 2 compressors and a fully customizable controller for almost the same price as the air runner kit.

one of the biggest misconceptions about air is the performance: it honest to god drives like a car on coils and handles quite well. its not mushy or soft by any means. her setup even has adjustable dampening which most basic coil overs don't even offer! Her car has no front sway bar (if you want max lowness you will need to remove yours too) and it still feels great! i know Air Lift's head suspension engineer was a former race suspension engineer and is working to make Air Lift's products have the ability to go low for shows and handle as well as the best coil overs at the track.

if ANYONE has questions get a hold of Dinoegg or myself. while she did a lot of the work getting stuff, i helped her research as she is one of the first on air in the US, oh and i have many many VW friends with air so I've seen a lot of stuff haha.
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

You're right, I wish mine could go lower but that was a bolt-on set up that was already out on the market before anything else. I ran rims with similar specs as Dino and ride was still quite nice. $1000 for installation is about right.

jerome, hope you are able to find the right set up and be sure to post if and when you ever get it done.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
jerome
Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
the air runner kit looks nice but doesn't look like it goes super low, but it may just be the wheels on the car.

my girlfriend(dinoegg) said she messaged you. I'm sure there is a way to get lower and get better stuff for about the same price or possibly less. and there might possibly be options if you already have coil overs change over to an air ride setup for less!! for example that air runner only has 1 compressor, she has 2 compressors and a fully customizable controller for almost the same price as the air runner kit.

one of the biggest misconceptions about air is the performance: it honest to god drives like a car on coils and handles quite well. its not mushy or soft by any means. her setup even has adjustable dampening which most basic coil overs don't even offer! Her car has no front sway bar (if you want max lowness you will need to remove yours too) and it still feels great! i know Air Lift's head suspension engineer was a former race suspension engineer and is working to make Air Lift's products have the ability to go low for shows and handle as well as the best coil overs at the track.

if ANYONE has questions get a hold of Dinoegg or myself. while she did a lot of the work getting stuff, i helped her research as she is one of the first on air in the US, oh and i have many many VW friends with air so I've seen a lot of stuff haha.
she did. with a TON of helpful/honest advice. i'm glad you helped shed some light on the way the car handles/performs. it's been one of my biggest concerns about going this route. i'm still wondering about reliability and what kind of maintenance is involved, but in the meantime all of this has already been a big step forward

unfortunately i don't have a coilover setup on the yaris (i originally did on my last ride - scion xa, so i've been rolling stock for about a year now and would like to start putting some things together)

Quote:
You're right, I wish mine could go lower but that was a bolt-on set up that was already out on the market before anything else. I ran rims with similar specs as Dino and ride was still quite nice. $1000 for installation is about right.

jerome, hope you are able to find the right set up and be sure to post if and when you ever get it done.
definitely will when i do. looks like everything (parts & labor) will run about $4,000
Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
she did. with a TON of helpful/honest advice. i'm glad you helped shed some light on the way the car handles/performs. it's been one of my biggest concerns about going this route. i'm still wondering about reliability and what kind of maintenance is involved, but in the meantime all of this has already been a big step forward

unfortunately i don't have a coilover setup on the yaris (i originally did on my last ride - scion xa, so i've been rolling stock for about a year now and would like to start putting some things together)

definitely will when i do. looks like everything (parts & labor) will run about $4,000

Since you live in the northern states it will require a little extra maintenance but not much. Get good water traps(not a big deal, they are pretty standard) and put some air tank anti-freeze in the tank for winter use. Just empty your water traps once a month maybe twice if it's very humid in the spring and summer and that's about it.

Having a professional install, though extra money up front is a good choice because all the wiring will be legit and the plumbing will be clean and hopefully leak free. I'm wiing to do a lot of work on my or my girls car, but even I agreed that a professional install was a good idea.
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
KsportUSA

Drives: Yaris
We also offer a air set up for the Yaris, I would recommend at least the deluxe kit.

http://ksportusa.com/products/air-suspension/
4 air struts
4 bags
**Complete bolt on set up**
2 Viair 380cc compressors
5Gal tank
Seem less installation box
All wiring and lines needed
Wireless Key Fob
Paddles inside the vehicle
Electronic valves

This kit sells on average for $3060

Here are pics of it installed in a trunk set up
KsportUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
DINOeggxo

any pictures of a yaris that has this kit? max lowness? i think with me with my kit i wanted the most lowness competing with the dub kids and really thats all they care about. idk my struts that i purchased from japan are way more awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsportUSA View Post
We also offer a air set up for the Yaris, I would recommend at least the deluxe kit.

http://ksportusa.com/products/air-suspension/
4 air struts
4 bags
**Complete bolt on set up**
2 Viair 380cc compressors
5Gal tank
Seem less installation box
All wiring and lines needed
Wireless Key Fob
Paddles inside the vehicle
Electronic valves

This kit sells on average for $3060

Here are pics of it installed in a trunk set up
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
KsportUSA

Drives: Yaris
I dont have any pics of a Yaris with this kit, the picture provided above was from a dealer that installed the kit on their show car. We basically just have to wait for a customer to send us a hi-res pics of their setup.

As far as maximum lowness, your car can/will be on the ground. Here is a pic of a few vehicles with out air kits.

-Jade@ksport
KsportUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
DINOeggxo

Quote:

do you have pictures of your car?