Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
So You Just Have To Have Iridium Spark Plugs eh?

Here are sparkplugs out of identical four cylinder engines. The ones on the left are iridiums with 30k on them the ones on the right conventional plugs with 70k.

Note the slender electrode of one of the irids is totally worn away. The other three were normal.

Both owners reported normal operation and gas mileage.

Are Iridium plugs another thing to waste your money on like synthetic oil?

You decide.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
They aren't identical plugs though, and I see both plugs on the right are worn out? This isn't exactly an objective test. That being said, I also believe that running strictly iridium plugs is kind of silly. A spark plug is a spark plug. If it works, it works.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Sparcoboy

Drives: 2008 XP9 by Sparco
Believe me, a spark plug ain't a spark plug. With the wrong plugs you can blow a hole in your piston within a few 1000 miles!
As for iridium spark plugs, I don't like them that much, conventionel ones are good enough for a Yaris. When you start racing with fully prepped engines you're talking about different things :d
Sparcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I have had several folks from the racing circuit that I am in say that with a boosted application to go with regular plugs so that is what I have done.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
bronsin

That electrode on the irid was just eaten away!

Unbelievable!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
They aren't identical plugs though, and I see both plugs on the right are worn out? This isn't exactly an objective test. That being said, I also believe that running strictly iridium plugs is kind of silly. A spark plug is a spark plug. If it works, it works.
They are worn alright but the owner reported his engine was running fine and he didnt think he needed to change the plugs.

Maybe he didnt. Maybe with electronic ignition they would work forever.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
just like your total irrational hatred of synthetic oil this simply isn't an argument with any merit. You need different tools for different jobs. There is not one answer for everything, and there never will be. You could easily say it is pointless to own a Yaris, as a Yugo could do the same thing.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
bronsin

Hmm the center electrode of the irid plug is wasted. And after only 30k miles. Im completely objective here. This doesnt look good.

I dont hate synthetic oil. It great if the outside temperature is 0 or below. Or in turbine engines for which it was developed.

Since it doesnt improve mpg or make the engine last longer and it costs a lot more money and according to the owners manual it has to be changed just as often to keep the warranty in effect whats the advantage?

I know its my attitude isnt it?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I switched to both and have seen increased gas mileage and power. I did see a loss in mileage a few months ago and bought new I plugs and they were hardly worn. Not sure where you got these photos but based upon my pulled plugs, I don't think the photo is accurate.

As for Syn Oil, it does provide better lubrication and protection, especially when starting the car. The lower viscosity levels do provide marginally better gas mileage so not sure were you dreamed up your prejudice for it or the plugs, but you on an island with all this ranting.

But on the positive side, it gets people's heat pumping so you did provide some benefit here.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
bronsin

They say seeing is believing. There were 30 people working on their ST1300 motorcycles together and those plugs came from two of those bikes. They got passed around and commented on. The people who had installed iridium plugs had lots of second thoughts as to what their next set of plugs would be.

I just call things the way I see them. If Im wrong or theres something Ive missed I have no problem hearing about it. I welcome any person who has evidence to the contrary to change my mind. I would only benefit by doing something that was better than what Im doing now.

Im sorry if I appear to be stepping on some peoples toes. I hope others who have not said anything will benefit by my line of reasoning.

Everyone is welcome to join me on my island anytime, no questions asked!

Here are some more opinions you might want to read:

People driving cars that get 20 mpg are out of their minds and need to buy cars like the Yaris.

I buy Toyotas because quality is cheaper, less trouble, and more beneficial in the long run.

My 09 Yaris needed a new water pump at 27k miles and if Toyota doesnt do something about these pumps going bad I will consider buying another better, more reliable brand of car.

Last edited by bronsin; 04-03-2012 at 09:29 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Why do people get so bent out of shape in a Food-for-Thought thread an attack the OP!

This is an open discussion about plugs, not character.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
What was the difference in driving style between the two setups? I'd imagine that may have an impact, as well as care, storage, etc.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
bronsin

Not sure really. I dont suppose this is common though or people wouldnt buy irids. The redline for those engines is ~ 8500 which is pretty low for a motorcycle. The guy who engine the plugs came out of swore he did didnt do anything out of the ordinary...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I pulled the IR plugs from my '05 Tundra at 82K. They looked fine. I replaced them with IR plugs, as per manufacture's recommendation.

I pulled an IR plug out of my '07 Yaris at 50K. It looked fine. Decided to wait another 30K until I replace them.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
bronsin

I think thats whats in my wifes 05 Camry and it has ~80k on it now. I havnt had them out yet and am a little worried about them getting seized...
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I think thats whats in my wifes 05 Camry and it has ~80k on it now. I havnt had them out yet and am a little worried about them getting seized...
Pull one out for a little looksee. Replace (might as well) with copper($3, 30K), platinum($5, 60K), or IR($7, 100K). Put a dab of anti-seize on the thread and some di-electric grease on the tips.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I pulled my OEM iridiums at roughly 70k. I will take a photot or two and post up. Mine are tinted orange, but that is because of the Octane boost. Mine also have roughly 13k on them boosted to 7/8lbs.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hmm the center electrode of the irid plug is wasted. And after only 30k miles. Im completely objective here. This doesnt look good.

I dont hate synthetic oil. It great if the outside temperature is 0 or below. Or in turbine engines for which it was developed.

Since it doesnt improve mpg or make the engine last longer and it costs a lot more money and according to the owners manual it has to be changed just as often to keep the warranty in effect whats the advantage?

I know its my attitude isnt it?
Yea, you're probably the only one who pays attention to what the owners manual said. Find a dealer that tried to not pay a warranty claim for that reason. You won't.

Synthetic can easily last 15,000 miles or more. That saves people money. It also means it protects better, which means it is safer to run.

And since it protects the vehicle better and most people would rather keep their car as long as they possibly could, it is a better choice.

Now since you obviously don't care about that logic, everything you say is suspect. You also probably believe maintaining your car is a waste of money. I really don't care about spark plugs, i drive my car for gas mileage, and so far i haven't seen any ads that say a certain spark plug will get better gas mileage.