Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
xavierq

Drives: Yaris
How do I replace backlight on AC subassembly

The back light on the top dial on the Air Conditioner Sub Assembly is not working. Is this easy to change? If so, does anyone have info on how to do it, and what bulb it uses?
xavierq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
xavierq

ok I found this manual http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairm...nditioning.pdf

But it looks so complicated it's crazy. There's gotta be a simpler one?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
check the 'A/C Controls' section at http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9857
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
xavierq

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
I may be dumb, but I cannot figure out how to change my bulbs. I have the a/c knobs taken out but I cannot figure out how you "disassemble black cables exposing the bulbs". I have a sedan instead of hatchback, but I assume it's the same. any help?
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
I may be dumb, but I cannot figure out how to change my bulbs. I have the a/c knobs taken out but I cannot figure out how you "disassemble black cables exposing the bulbs". I have a sedan instead of hatchback, but I assume it's the same. any help?
If you look at where the white part of the cable assemblies meets the black part of the knob assemblies, you will see two windows on the black part where the tabs of the white part are latched. Simply push in on those two tabs though the windows and the white part will pull out of the black part.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
brg88tx

thanks for the quick reply. this whole process just seems complicated to just replace a led light. I know the yaris is a cheap car, but I have never had an instrument cluster light ever fail on any vehicle I've ever owned, but it sounds like it's common on the yaris. And it sounds like you have to disassemble the whole dash and risk blowing fuses to just replace a simple led. I guess you have to completely disassemble the dash, take out the lights, reassemble dash, drive to auto parts store to see if they have the bulbs, buy more fuses in case you put the bulb in wrong and blow fuses, drive back home, disassemble the dash again, try to install bulbs and reassemble everything.

i think i'll just keep a small flashlight in my car to see the gauges at night.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
thanks for the quick reply. this whole process just seems complicated to just replace a led light. I know the yaris is a cheap car, but I have never had an instrument cluster light ever fail on any vehicle I've ever owned, but it sounds like it's common on the yaris. And it sounds like you have to disassemble the whole dash and risk blowing fuses to just replace a simple led. I guess you have to completely disassemble the dash, take out the lights, reassemble dash, drive to auto parts store to see if they have the bulbs, buy more fuses in case you put the bulb in wrong and blow fuses, drive back home, disassemble the dash again, try to install bulbs and reassemble everything.

i think i'll just keep a small flashlight in my car to see the gauges at night.
Replacing the LED is only for changing the color (and the LED is just the green light on the AC push button). The bulbs for illuminating the knobs are replaceable on the rear of the knobs, without any soldering and without complete disassembly of the knobs.

Are you saying that besides the knobs not being illuminated your speedometer is dark as well?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
brg88tx

ok, well the green led for the a/c and the orange led for the window defrost are still working. I just have 2 of the 3 bulbs for the knobs out. I would like to replace all 3. do I have to disassemble everything for this? speedometer light works fine

Last edited by brg88tx; 11-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ok, well the green led for the a/c and the orange led for the window defrost are still working. I just have 2 of the 3 bulbs for the knobs out. I would like to replace all 3. do I have to disassemble everything for this? speedometer light works fine
You just have to pop the panel off (which means pulling off the black vertical pieces and pulling the radio trim out a bit). With that off, the bulbs just screw into the back of the knobs.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Spartickis

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Replacing the LED is only for changing the color (and the LED is just the green light on the AC push button). The bulbs for illuminating the knobs are replaceable on the rear of the knobs, without any soldering and without complete disassembly of the knobs.

Are you saying that besides the knobs not being illuminated your speedometer is dark as well?
I have all of the knobs, the speedometer, gas gauge, and the CD player lights out, although gas gauge light works when my headlights are off. I have been looking around for the solutions, but I can't really find any definitive answers. Is this one to take to the shop?
Spartickis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartickis View Post
I have all of the knobs, the speedometer, gas gauge, and the CD player lights out, although gas gauge light works when my headlights are off. I have been looking around for the solutions, but I can't really find any definitive answers. Is this one to take to the shop?
Turn the dimmer rheostat up.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #13
Spartickis

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Turn the dimmer rheostat up.
Got it, thank you!
Spartickis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
pcushion141
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Part Number for the A/C Fan Control Bulb

Would you happen to know the part/bulb number?
I cannot seem to find that out anywhere.
pcushion141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcushion141 View Post
Would you happen to know the part/bulb number?
I cannot seem to find that out anywhere.
90010-01112 for 09-11 and 90010-01113 for 06-08