Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Question Yaris - do you find it comfortable on long trips?

I'd just like to get some opinions. If I decide on the Yaris I want to make sure the seats can keep my butt from going numb on 14+ hour drives. I'm 6'2" and 235lbs by the way. The Yaris will be replacing my long distance cruiser ('99 Taurus) which has served me well, but is starting to nickel and dime me in repairs.

I'd also like to add on if anyone has any other complaints, such as poor ride quality on OE tires; the 12V socket can't have more than two things plugged into it before the fuse blows (cell phone charger/GPS as example); or anything else you can think of! I do a few Florida runs each year (2800miles round trip) and am bad for driving 14+ hours at a time (BTW, I used to drive transport so it's nothing for me to drive that).

I appreciate any input you can give.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Deltasix

Drives: '07 Liftback: Work in Progress
Send a message via AIM to Deltasix
Well, I'm 6'5" tall and a few pounds lighter, and I find it just fine on long trips. I hardwired my GPS in, and use the 12V for phone, so can't tell you about that.

Ride quality is fine, road noise can be a bit loud though, something worth considering. Oh, and for the love of all that is good, if you don't have Sat. Radio, pick it up. It will make those long rides go by all the more quickly!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I would say that the Yaris is poor for long trips. 4 hours is the most that I have spent behind the wheel. That's long enough. Hope you got cruise control.

I like road trips. The only thing that keeps me fron driving 14 hours at a time is my wife.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
i don't mind it. but oh man, i could only have dreamt about cruise control! i've driven the orlando/nyc route 6-7 times so far and my only complaint would have been the lack of cruise.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I'm 5'7" and was comfortable all the way from Montreal to Vancouver and back last year.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Dorkinheimer

Drives: Yaris 2007 *manual*
I drove 19 hours straight, 1750 km, and it was comfy enough, and fun to drive. On the highway, I wish there was an additional speed, to lower the RPM abit. Other than that, it was a fun experience driving the Yaris on long trips.
Dorkinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Dbeau

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero
I managed a Toronto to Calgary drive just fine. However I also had a 99 Taurus SHO before the Yaris and I would say the Taurus was more comfortable so don't expect to much.
Dbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Simple answer, no.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Klinton

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan Flint Mica
i drove it from chicago to Oklahoma city about 9 hours or 650 miles it was a great trip ipod jack came in handle the car did well and t was back in its stock days

205/45/17 Nittos/ KN tyhoon 69 intake
EURO areo muffler / DF 210 Springs
NST 10% Pulley/ 15% tint
600watt rockford punch 12" subs and amp
micro image rocks!
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
My only complaint was also the lack of cruise. The Yaris is otherwise good for long trip IMO.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasix View Post
I hardwired my GPS in
Post a DIY/pictures(or pm me a link if you already did :P). I've been wanting to do the same thing.

As for the yaris being comfortable, its not bad. I haven't taken any crazy long trips, but I've been just fine after 3-4 hour trips and I'm 6'1"

Changing the angle of the seatback a notch every 20-30 minutes will help with the leg numbing in any car.

This thread should be helpful too:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9833
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeau View Post
I managed a Toronto to Calgary drive just fine. However I also had a 99 Taurus SHO before the Yaris and I would say the Taurus was more comfortable so don't expect to much.
I have a 99 Taurus SE. The front seats are shot. Rear end sags, even after spending nearly $2K to install all new suspension components last year. New alternator a couple months ago set me back nearly $400. Radio needs replacing as the backlight only comes on when I push as hard as I can on the radio, then it stays on long enough for me to check what station I'm listening to and the time. Front end is on its way out right now...I've had numerous components replaced from wheel bearings to CV shafts and no one can align it properly...even with new tires. It wants to pull right hard enough that you need at least one hand on the wheel at all times unless there's a steep bank on the highway.

It's served me well for the most part, but as mentioned, it's starting to nickel and dime me. Canadian winters don't help any either. The thing with me is this: My wife is half my size and feels that my Taurus is too big of a vehicle for her to drive so this is the main reason for the downsize. As I'll have to option it with the slushbox I can't imagine engine noise to be too harsh on the US interstates.

I won't leave the house without cruise control...even if Toyota wants $400 for it, I'm game. All the vehicles I've owned came standard with cruise. It just doesn't make much sense for me to take my more reliable Durango that I use for work, on a 3000 mile trip a few times a year when I could save $2200 extra in fuel costs once I sell the Taurus. With running the landscaping trailer I come close to $10K/yr in fuel costs. I've recently moved to a house with a double width driveway which helps. When I come back in the Durango I can take the Taurus out for errands, as it's just as inefficient if I moved the Durango onto the street just so I could use the Taurus. Anyway.

At least the Durango's fuel can be 'written off' so to speak, but that's not the point. I don't need a 7 passenger vehicle just for the wife and I to go down south. The car will be used primarily by the wife once she gets her full license (stupid Ontario graduating license program).

We've been in and out of a local dealer quite a few times now. I thought about getting a new Corolla, but am still liking the Yaris sedan version a lot more. Let alone I can get one with a few options that I need for the cost of a base corolla.

I do plan on cutting another 20lbs or so from by mass index this year. I would imagine this would make for a better fit in the Yaris. I prefer to have a snug driving position, but with ample leg room; which I found out there is plenty during my last test drive. Getting the Yaris, the wife will eventually be able to share the driving time when we go south, or out west.

Thanks for all the opinions so far guys. I would appreciate it if you could specify a reason on why, or why not, you'd take the car on a long trip. Thanks again!
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
Ed_

Drives: 09 2 dr, 5M, Yellow
6 ft, 250 lbs. 61 years old(on the 23rd)
I picked up the Yaris because I broke my tailbone 3 years ago and haven't been able to ride my Motorcycle. After 42 years of riding, no bike is hard, but the Yaris is doing it's part to ease the pain.
2 hour trip bothers the tail bone a little, still better than on the bike, not near as good as in the Tundra.
I replaced the stock radio with one with bluetooth for hands free phone. It also has UBS connection which allows me to run my iphone (ipod) using radio controls, over 1800 songs so I don't need satelite. Satelite is cool, but ipod is even better. 4 Boston speakers are awesome. I like my toons
In the wind the car is a little twitchy at 70 mph. Mine has cruise. It came with Goodyears and the road noise is surprising low for an econobox. I don't know is the Enkeis made any differince or not. They are 6.5 instead of 5.5 stock.
I think you will be happy with it.
Ed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I'm 6'2", 205 lbs and I drive 60 miles each way to work everyday. My Chiropractor is telling to get another car lol. If I move the seat back to where I have leg room then I can't reach the steering wheel. I end up with my knees in the dash or have to lean forward. I really wish there was a telescoping steering wheel.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I'm 6'2", 205 lbs and I drive 60 miles each way to work everyday. My Chiropractor is telling to get another car lol. If I move the seat back to where I have leg room then I can't reach the steering wheel. I end up with my knees in the dash or have to lean forward. I really wish there was a telescoping steering wheel.
Lean your seat up(that's probably the real reason your chiropractor is telling you to get a new car). I can reach the steering wheel just fine with the seat all the way back.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #16
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
supmet posted an excellent thread for changing the seat cushion angle. Although I've done the mod, I've found that when the seat is in the most comfortable distance from the dash, the steering wheel is a little too far. Too bad we don't have telescopic steering wheels.

Oops, I did not read Phaeton's post well enough. Ditto.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #17
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I took the Yaris on two road trips, 3700 and 2800 miles. It was comfortable and rode like a larger car. Got 39.5 MPG going 80 MPH with AC.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #18
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
I put on 300+ miles in a day and have no complaints. If you're used to luxury cars you're going to see a difference. That goes without saying.