Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #37
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
well put Lewis...if stop/start is standard and doesn't come with a big price tag it might have the edge with fuel economy/green car identity
Yes Stuffy - I agree 100%- That's the only thing that'll get me out of my 09 and into a '12. I'm not holding my breath because the Toyota marketing approach in the US seems to be - if you want to have high mileage- we have this $26K Prius we sell you.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #38
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Wonder if they will have a Sedan?

Cant tell forsure, but looks like all the models still have drums in the rear... 4WD, wow, I would definitely get a 4WD version
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I like parts of it and some parts I don't.

Need to see what the USDM is going to have first - you know that the Japanese market ALWAYS gets the better cars, sadly.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #40
nikonmad

Drives: Yaris 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The center cluster has been one of the Yaris' worst marketing challenges, but I personally find not having to look over or under the steering wheel to be a huge plus. Losing the center cluster isn't a show stopper for me, but it is a huge disappointment.
I think the center cluster was one of the best ever features,that item alone set the yaris apart from the rest (the boring).
It increased view of the road ahead most importantly but in the 2nd gen this arrangement makes the Yaris seem like a much bigger car inside.
Good enough for me @ 6ft 1ins.
Lots of useful storage spaces too.

My 1kr-fe 3 cyl engine chuggs me around the city traffic here in the UK and always returns around 50 miles per UK gallon/1.2 US gallon which is important as here in Great Britain, current price for 1 UK Gallon(1.2 us gallon) is £6.00 pounds sterling or $9.50 USD. ...yes you read it right first time $9.50 !

The new gen 3 arrangement looks a bit too "normal" for me.
An opportunity missed maybe for the powers that be @ Toyota.

We shall see.
Unaware as to the european launch of the 3rd gen, but when it comes here I dont see me swapping in a hurry.

Thanks to CTScott for the heads up and those great pictures

Wonder if you have any with the hood up ?
Any new engines maybe ?
nikonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #41
alamocoastie

Drives: 2008 Red LB
I disagree with a lot of what yall are saying. Toyota knows the new standard here in the states is 40. They'll hit that. It looks to me that they are now positioning the car in a decidedly more upscale position. Kind of like how the BMW 1 series is, small car, big luxury. Like many, I want the good gas mileage, but I am also tired of cheap crap and would like my small car to be more comfortable. I have a 2002 Protege5 that I absolutely refuse to get rid of for this very reason. Leather interior, cd changer, sport mode auto, great handling, what small cars should be aspiring to. Too many people believe that small cars should be sparse, blech, put in the leather (doesn't need power), give me the nice sound, make me want to drive the wheels off of the thing!

The yaris is taking after its larger sibling, the matrix, but that is a good thing. I've driven them and they can be suuuuweeeeet. Gonna miss the center stack guages though, love that uniqueness.

I for one, can't wait to see the new one. However, I probably won't buy it as the wife tells me I will be buried in this one.

C ya!!
alamocoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #42
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamocoastie View Post
I disagree with a lot of what yall are saying. Toyota knows the new standard here in the states is 40. They'll hit that. It looks to me that they are now positioning the car in a decidedly more upscale position. Kind of like how the BMW 1 series is, small car, big luxury. Like many, I want the good gas mileage, but I am also tired of cheap crap and would like my small car to be more comfortable. I have a 2002 Protege5 that I absolutely refuse to get rid of for this very reason. Leather interior, cd changer, sport mode auto, great handling, what small cars should be aspiring to. Too many people believe that small cars should be sparse, blech, put in the leather (doesn't need power), give me the nice sound, make me want to drive the wheels off of the thing!

The yaris is taking after its larger sibling, the matrix, but that is a good thing. I've driven them and they can be suuuuweeeeet. Gonna miss the center stack guages though, love that uniqueness.

I for one, can't wait to see the new one. However, I probably won't buy it as the wife tells me I will be buried in this one.

C ya!!
You are correct. In the U.S. small equals cheap. Obviously that is changing but American equate size to price. Sad, cause that's why we don't get such cool small cars from Europe. Again starting to change. But the market is still young in that, which is why I don't blame automakers being cautious as its not a very profitable.

I believe the Protege/Protege5 is more of a competitor to the Corolla/Civic class. (at the time) But maybe you were making a point on small cars with lots of features??

Yes, the new Yaris looks more generic and not as stylish as the up in coming offers. But I think another test will be features vs price, and quality of material and build will be a big one as well. Also engine option or options and mpg will be big.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #43
Yar15

Drives: none
When the 2nd gen came out it was hot. And so is 3rd.
Rear lights in the rs looks like taken in verso.
Any idea is the 4WD real? 4WD Yaris sounds nice.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #44
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
First, Asia in general has to stop using Babblefish to translate their marketing stuff. Heart Up? It would have made more sense to use a heart graphic than to spell it out.

Is that 4WD or AWD? I wonder what kind of mileage it can get?

Other than that, looks like the Yaris is in danger of falling into the "bigger = better" mantra. Nicer looking, yes, but with better looks, and bigger specs with no real major improvements to the drive train (assumed), it may not be able to compete with some of the more efficient competitors in the sub-compact market.

There is a fine line between price and "nice" for econo-box shoppers.

I can't wait to see one in person.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #45
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
First, Asia in general has to stop using Babblefish to translate their marketing stuff. Heart Up? It would have made more sense to use a heart graphic than to spell it out.

Is that 4WD or AWD? I wonder what kind of mileage it can get?

Other than that, looks like the Yaris is in danger of falling into the "bigger = better" mantra. Nicer looking, yes, but with better looks, and bigger specs with no real major improvements to the drive train (assumed), it may not be able to compete with some of the more efficient competitors in the sub-compact market.

There is a fine line between price and "nice" for econo-box shoppers.

I can't wait to see one in person.

It's amazing how poorly things translate. I've been following the Heart Up Vitz! Twitter feed, and 99% of the posts make absolutely no sense when translated.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #46
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
First, thanks for the pics.

I really want to get excited over this car, but I just can't yet. I'll give it more time, though.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #47
kennywhy

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I agree. I think it's over and out for Toyota Yaris. Love my 2007 and like those cool colors they won't offer here. And the 1.3 engine they probably won't offer here.
I'm over it. It's time to move on. Maybe I'll check out the Daewoorolet Sonic too. Maybe.
P.S. The latest Prius looks uglier every time I see it.
kennywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #48
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Is there still going to be a 2 door version? If so, I wonder if it will incorporate that (ugly IMHO) A-shape rear pillar that seems so common now.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #49
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I don't think it's nearly as hideous looking as it did the first time I saw it. It looks like they were trying to follow this Fit's dash styling cues which doesn't thrill me. The cup holders lose their tensioners. I hope the US version has a more simplified front bumper design. Soon enough it will be here and I can decide for myself. Being that my LB has less than 30k on it I can wait until something grabs me. The Prius is introducing a wagon soon plus a smaller hatch and the used ones down the road will be more affordable. I think that small is the growing trend especially as gas prices force more consumers into smaller cars.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #50
PumpkinSteve

Drives: Yaris SR 1.8
I'm warming to it, but if they don't bring out a model that is at least as fast as my 1.8 then I won't be buying it. I still have a warranty until 2013 in any case so I don't think I'll be looking before then.
PumpkinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #51
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
European spec Vitz, which i think is expected to be close to what N. America get. some slight difference in the front. i like it.

if this car comes over and gets arount 41-43 mpg (which i expect it will) i will give it a hard look.

if they give it just a little bit of handling ability, unlike the current yaris, that would be terrific as well.

roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #52
PumpkinSteve

Drives: Yaris SR 1.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
European spec Vitz, which i think is expected to be close to what N. America get. some slight difference in the front. i like it.

if this car comes over and gets arount 41-43 mpg (which i expect it will) i will give it a hard look.

if they give it just a little bit of handling ability, unlike the current yaris, that would be terrific as well.

Wow, that looks much better!
PumpkinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #53
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post

hey that does look better... more cross-between-a-mazda-3-and-a-vw-golf and less cross-between-an-aveo/versa/matrix's-ugly-brother...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #54
USblueberry

Drives: Yaris 2007
I am in a desperate situation here!!! I shipped my Yaris to Italy and in order to circulate it they ask me to modify it in order to meet European standards. This car has been circulating in Europe for more than 10 years before coming to the US so my question is: "How different can it be??????" At the dealership they could not specify what needs to be done before seen it which means that I have no idea how much is going to cost me. So I do not know if I should leave it at the port or it is worth to pay the VAT and the modifications.
Did anyone have a similar experience or any idea of what needs to be modified?
USblueberry is offline   Reply With Quote