Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Passenger side caliper loose...

A few weeks back I replaced my front pads/rotors after noticing a loud whoop whoop noise coming from my passenger side front brakes. Thought nothing of it, pads and rotors were cheap "prime choice" ebay pads/rotors with 50k, so I got a set to replace them. Tons of pad life left but I assumed the rotors were shot because well… They were cheap.

When changing out the front passenger side, the bottom caliper slider bolt appeared to have seized. With coaxing, I was able to get the bolt out, regrease/reinsert and everything seemed fine. Piston compressed back into place, slider bolts moved freely, and so I was pretty confident that the original noise was just warped rotors. Brake pedal was primed and I noticed drastic improvement in braking performance/pedal feel. That was about 3 weeks ago.

However, I think I am back to needing a new bracket. The pedal feel/performance is still there. However, I've got a metal clank noise coming from that caliper, along with a return of the whoop whoop noise upon brake engagement. The caliper is loose on the bracket and you can visibly shake it. It's not horrible but theres definitely more play and the driver side doesn't have it. The piston moved back in when I redid the brakes and I know it's not seized because of equal wear from the driver side rotor.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking the bracket bolts are somehow warped so when the brake pedal is depressed, something is getting hung up causing the bracket to not line up properly?
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
baseballfan416

*** I should note that the metal clank noise occurs when I go over bumps at lower speeds. I do not believe this is a control arm bolt failure because the noise goes away and the car still feels stable at higher speeds.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
did you re check the caliper bolts , had a car with same problem and it was actually missing the lower caliper bolt.
Other possibility if bolts tight is that the pads are bouncing up and down do to worn out fitting kits and or brackets have wear. Had this problem on my yaris so i replaced caliper brackets and fitting kit.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
baseballfan416

Everything is intact, bolts are tight and fittings are fine… Theres a ton of play in the lower slider bolt. That's where all the movement appears to be coming from.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Everything is intact, bolts are tight and fittings are fine… Theres a ton of play in the lower slider bolt. That's where all the movement appears to be coming from.
So possibly the slider pin is worn out also they have rubber ring at the end of it that gets removed do to more problems when old, it's a noise suppressor in a way.
Do the pads move up and down in the bracket? I say re lube with brake grease the pins and pads where the sit in the fitting kit and see if noise gone.
But it just sounds like worn out parts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
The seized pin/hole has lost metal dues to rust. So either the pin is too small, or the bracket hole too large. You will have to replace either or both to get it correct. It's also possible the pads are too small as well and moving up and down in the brackets. Just take a small screwdriver and try prying them up and down. If the movement is excessive, replace the pads.

For the pins you could try using the top pin on the bottom hole, or just getting new pins but it is probably the bracket that is worse.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote