Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #37
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
i would like to know if, of all those who had the problem, had the car rust proofed, or had undercoat done.
I didnt specificially ask to have my car rust proofed or have an undercoat applied.

So, if such things are not done standardly when you purchase a car from Toyota, then I'd guess mine never had either done.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #38
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

(EDITED post after checking car over lunch)

I just noticed today as I was getting out of my car at work, that I didnt recall seeing either the red (!) or the yellow ABS warning lights still being on...

Checked at lunch - yup, both are no longer on! (WTF?) And was able to activate my ABS too with some quick braking in water puddles.

So what does that mean now? Everything was magically fixed? All of sudden my ABS is working and the indicator lights are gone...

Does this mean there's still an issue, even though my ABS is now working again (at least temporarily?)

Well, brought my car into the dealership anyways for my apt. Didnt tell them that the warning lights had gone off -- im sure they'd just tell me to not worry abt it then and take my car back to them if and when they came back on again. I'm just going to let them put in the new part(s) they ordered.

(As an aside, and I have NO IDEA if its relevant at all, or of any importance, but I'll mention it anyways. Today, the day I noticed that my ABS light is no longer showing, also happens to be quite warm... its like +9 oC out (instead of -10 oC like the way its been)... snow is melting all over the place and roads are very wet, all kinds of puddles all over the place. Could water splashing all up into the ABS area have somehow caused my problem to (temporarily?) go away?? So confused by it all…)

Jem

Last edited by Jem_hadar; 12-15-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #39
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
yep. cold weather seems to effect it. Rest assure, it'll come back. Let the dealership know, they should still be able to call up the error code. If you're still under warranty, I wouldn't wait.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #40
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Interesting, so you think it's more likely the warm weather instead of any water that prolly caused this problem to temporarily go away?

And ya, car is in the shop right now for this to deal w/ this issue. I'm still under warranty, so im def getting it fixed.

Thanks for input.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #41
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

OK. Just back from picking up my yaris. Spoke to the service guy briefly abt the matter.

He told me it was the right rear ABS sensor that went this time (Dec 08). It was the left rear ABS sensor that went last time (Feb 08).

I asked him if he knew why, if the mechanics had said? He didn't know why. Told me they just read the error/problem code and the computer said that to correct the issue they needed to replace the right rear sensor, so thats what they did.

I also asked him if this happens again when im out of warranty, and i just decide to live w/o ABS breaks, can they shutoff the indicator lights that are telling me that the ABS sensors are malfunctioning? (ie. turn off the perpetual (!) and ABS lights as they relate to warning me abt this problem.)

He said they couldnt turn them off, that I would have to fix the issue to have them go away. Can anyone on here comment to the truth of this? Is this really the case? Would I just have to live w/ seeing the ABS and (!) always on?

Oh, almost forgot. Also told him abt how the warning lights disappeared today and that i had my ABS functioning once again…

He told me many things often affect these sensors, temperature being one. So it was likely just this warming up today that caused the sensor to temporarily start functioning again.

Well, thats it. There's my update on the matter.

Jem
Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #42
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I'd also get them to check the ABS wires/harness to make sure they don't have any rust on them. Or at least ask them about it....who knows, u might get an honest answer.

I asked the same question (3 times). Two of the mechanics gave me the same answer. ABS can't be shot off.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #43
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Thanks for all the information about your experience.

In my mind this isn't part of routine maintenance and is a defect Toyota should fix for free on all cars. Seems to common of a problem.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #44
kozm

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post

I just noticed today as I was getting out of my car at work, that I didnt recall seeing either the red (!) or the yellow ABS warning lights still being on...

Checked at lunch - yup, both are no longer on! (WTF?) And was able to activate my ABS too with some quick braking in water puddles.

So what does that mean now? Everything was magically fixed? All of sudden my ABS is working and the indicator lights are gone...
Same here. On and off while we're still waiting for the part to arrive. No pattern that I am able to figure out (ie, weather, snow, etc.)
kozm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #45
talapus

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I have this same issue now, anyone have any info on TSB-0120-08 ? This may address the problem?
talapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #46
dadi_oh

Drives: RS 4 Door Hatch
This is happening on my 06 RS Hatchback. First came on last week for half a day during a snowstorm but cleared itself later in the day. Then came on yesterday (also during a snow storm) but has lasted for about 24 hours now (and counting).

I spoke to my local service department and asked if they were seeing a lot of these. He said they had seen a few. He also made some odd comment about how it could happen if you got stuck and ended up spinning the front wheels. ???? Doesn't make any sense to me. I asked if he could comment on the "few" that he has seen if it is corroded harnesses or defective sensors and he was Not terribly helpful.

Seems to me Toyota has a harness/sensor problem that is going to be safety related so I am going to wait for the recall to kick in. I have 72K on my car so it is out of warranty so no way am I paying for $400 for them to put the same defective design parts back on the car.

I'll see if it self clears this second time after the snow clears up and all the snow turds fall out of my wheel wells.

Hopefully Toyota is forced into a recall sooner rather than later. Out of curiousity how do the regulating agencies find out about safety defects to force a recall? Do they rely on customers reporting the issues? If so, where do you do it?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #47
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
toyota rarely do recalls. When they are aware of the problems, they come out with a technical service bulletin.

the last RECALL i remember was for the 2000-2004 echos had problems with rust on the floor. Everything else were TBS.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #48
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
Finally my parts arrived today. I got mine fixed for 2nd time within same year. All covered by my extended warranty. I got over 72k on it. Good luck hoping for a recall. ABS helps in wet situation, but it's not a safety concern. Many cars are sold without ABS.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #49
IllusionX

insurance might not cover if your car's ABS is not working properly, or not at all.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #50
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

^^ yikes if thats the case (which is shouldnt be, IMO, since many, many cars are sold w/o ABS)
Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #51
IllusionX

it's not the fact that they are sold without, but the fact that you have them DISABLED.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #52
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Anyone have any more information regarding this? This just started happening to me on a short drive today after feeling a weird sensation when I applied the brakes. I don't really want to pay $400+ to fix this since I just had to pay over $700 for a new bumper. :(

Edit: On the way home after posting, the lights are gone. Could it just be the temerature? This morning it was +9 out and now it's back down to -10. Plus there was tons of melting going on which led to a lot of puddles. :shrug: I may take it into the dealer anyhow.

Last edited by devinlamothe; 12-28-2008 at 07:53 PM.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #53
jgag123

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
Same problem with abs.

My warranty is over on my '07yaris sedan because have near 100K in it and I am screwed because of that.

I think we all should complane about this then it may make a different.

I have sent an e-mail to toyota and this is there respond:

> From: toyota_feedback@toyota.ca
> Subject: RE: ABS deffective
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:24:00 -0500
>
> Dear Mr. G,
>
> Thank you for your recent correspondence.
>
> We have received your e-mail, and are sorry that you have encountered some problems with your 2007 Yaris.
>
> Please be assured that we certainly do not like to see our customers experience the frustration and inconvenience that is associated with unexpected repairs. It is the desire of Toyota Canada Inc. to provide sound, durable and reliable vehicles which will require a minimum of service and not only meet, but exceed our customers' expectations. Unfortunately, there remain instances, such as you have encountered, where difficulties will arise.
>
> Toyota Canada Inc. has a very comprehensive warranty that will cover the costs of repairing your vehicle when a difficulty arises as the result of a manufacturing defect experienced within the parameters of the warranty. Our commitment to you is to repair your vehicle according to the terms of the Toyota's new vehicle warranty. Your New Vehicle Warranty covers your vehicle for 36 months (from the warranty registration date) or 60,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first. In addition, we would like to explain that there are currently no outstanding campaigns on your vehicle.
>
> As you can appreciate, we are unable to provide a diagnosis of your vehicle through this medium of correspondence. We rely on Toyota dealerships to diagnose and repair vehicles on our behalf. As such, we kindly suggest contacting the Service Manager at your Toyota dealership directly to further discuss this issue.
>
> Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Nikki Cornell
> Customer Interaction Centre
> Toyota Canada Inc.

>
>
>
>
>
>

>
> Hi!
> I have a 2007 Yaris sedan. After the first winter days my ABS and
> emergency brake warning light came and stayed on and the ABS is not
> functioning at all. My Question is; is it normal that safety features like
> ABS quit working after a year of use.
> I was wondering if there is a recall for this, since many people have the
> same problem acquiring one winter after the other.
> Other vise I was very happy with the car until now.
> From Mazda and from Honda switched to Toyota and like to stay with it. Of
> course it will all depend of the customer care.
> Toyota should keep its good reputation (as #1 car manufacturer) by fixing
> safety related problems like this, no extra charge since it looks like a
> manufacturing defect.
>
> Thank you
>
> Sincerely
>
> John G.
jgag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #54
onizuka